crank

High Altitude Spotting With Telescope

Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:29 pm

I have a telescope that I got as a birthday present a few years ago and I thought it would be the time to take it out and try high altitude spotting, but for now it's still under maintenance  Big grin

So I was wondering if anyone has tried this before, if so, I would like your impressions.

Thanks

cosync

RE: High Altitude Spotting With Telescope

Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:29 pm

hha i never imagined someone would do the same thing as me. i dont use my tasco for high altitude though. i live right under the downwind to base turn near my local GA airport. i get out my reflector and use it during the day. the planes are going sso fast so at first it was hard to keep my hands moving it steady enough to follow the plane. but now ive mastered it.

donder10

RE: High Altitude Spotting With Telescope

Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:35 am

Crank,
more people do it than you think(mainly in the UK).There are 2 groups on Yahoo dedicated to this and with a scanner you can get the regs for nearly all flights off from ACARS logs on Yahoo.I see you live in Montreal.You will get alot of European bound flights heading for YYZ,ORD,CVG and perhaps IAH,DFW too.I haven't too much of high-altitude spotting lately due to weather and lack of time but at LHR on a good day you can get upto 100 transatlantic flights passing over at high altitude and the vast majority you can get the regs off ACARS for(some older planes+some airlines dont use it ie AZ)