Spark
Topic Author

How To Download Scenery

Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:10 am

Forgive me for asking a simple question, but I'm kind of new to Flight Simulator. I've downloaded some scenery files, airplanes, and panels. I've had success with the airplanes, but don't know where to put the scenery files so I can use them. I haven't tried to unzip a panel yet, so what do I need to do there?

jwenting

RE: How To Download Scenery

Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:10 am

have you ever heard of manuals, readme files, etc.?

Most if not all downloads come with one or more of those which detail the steps to install them.
I wish I were flying

NZ767

Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:50 am

Hey Spark,
Have you got Winzip?
If not, you'll need it to unzip your files and it's available at Flightsim.Com or Avsim amongst other sites.
You don't say which flightsim you have (FS2002?).
Let us know because the method of installation depends on which version you have.
Jwenting, some of those Readme files can be confusing to a beginner and you'll strike the odd one that has no documentation at all.

Spark
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:17 am

NZ767 and Jwenting, thank you.
Jwenting, aside from the rather harsh tone of your post, it did work. I was suffering from a bit of maleness, and didn't look at the instructions.
Manual, I don't need a stinking manual. (Please note sarcasim, the read me files did help)
I have FS2000. I've been somewhat successful downloading some files, but nothing 100% successful. I downloaded MSP scenery, and I like it. There was supposed to be static aircraft, but I didn't see it.
I downloaded scenery into DIA, and the frame rate was jumpy. It didn't operate smoothly. It may have been that I didn't restart my computer before running FS, and was low on memory.
I downloaded a California Mesh, but haven't really checked it out. I flew to San Diego, and when I was in a pattern Mexico would just go blank (not good).
I downloaded a Photo-realistic San Francisco city landscape. I followed the directions, and used the San Francisco position on my scenery library in FS. I went to SFO, and got a missing scenery message. I went back to the default, so I wasn't using the data.
Also, under the default download, before I learned how to download data, I got missing scenery messages in both SEA and BOS, along with Central Europe Mesh. What kind of patch do I need to avoid those messages in the future?

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:22 am

Go to a flightsim site, click to download the scenery, unzip the file with Winzip, and then follow the instructions on the readme file to setup the scenery.