Does Anyone Else Fly The FS Heli?

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:03 pm

Hey all,

I know that previously, we have gotten in to different conversations about our favorite FS aircraft. Lately, mine seems to be the Bell 206 Jetranger III that comes with FS2k2, and just can't seem to get enough of it. Anyway, I was just wondering if I was alone in the world.

I've gotten of bored watching an airliner fly itself around. They only way I've been able to enjoy FS is by:

1. Flying the helicopter.
2. Flying the Schwiezer 2-32
3. Flying a single-engine airplane in actual IMC with no autopilot.

Hmm... after I got my real-world commercial, I've had to experiment with things on FS to keep it interesting.

Anyway, feel free to address either heli flying or getting bored with normal stuff in your replies.

'Speed

dragon-wings

RE: Does Anyone Else Fly The FS Heli?

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:47 pm

I STILL can't get that default Bell helicopter flying. As soon as I would lift off the ground it would start going out of control and dive into the ground  Sad

If I could get the helicopter off the ground flying around Hawaii or the Caribbean sounds nice.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:20 am

Huh, that's interesting: I've found the FS2k2 Jetranger MUCH more stable and flyable than the one in previous versions.

'Speed

hp340

Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:59 pm

I quite like flying the helicopter too. The Bell 206 was very difficult to control in FS98. It's much easier flying it in FS2002. There was a saved flight in FS98 where you had to land the helicopter on the helipad on top of one of the WTC towers!!! No such things anymore, of course.

Dragon-wings, the trick to helicopter flying is to remember -
Throttle = Lift & Attitude = speed. After lifting off the ground, you have to pitch down to get your airspeed going. Conversely, while landing pitch up while reducing the throttle sufficiently to touch down softly on the ground. Hope that's a help!

dragon-wings

Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:37 am

On the aircraft realism settings I put it all on the easiest settings and then I been practicing with the helicopter. I have been doing alight (flew alittle tour around NYC) Still can't land very good though.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

gotAirbus

Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:01 pm

...but I can't control the Bell into trying not to spin 180 degrees around itself!!

That's when I gave up.

(gotAirbus?)-(Got Commonality?)-(Have A Nice Flight!)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

hp340

Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:18 am

You have to use the rudder control to control your spin. It becomes much easier with a joystick. I use only the rudder to turn in the helicopter, unless it is a steep turn. It works fine.

gotAirbus

Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:05 am

Oh, didn't think of that one...

Thanks!

(gotAirbus?)-(Got Commonality?)-(Have A Nice Flight!)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

Notar520AC

Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:24 pm

Oh yeah- I fly em. In addition to the Bell216, I have downloaded many others with much better textures, i.e. MD520N, MD600N, Bell407, AS350, Marine One, Blackhawks, etc. My favorite is probably the MD600N- spectacular paint, by far the best Notar I've ever seen- I'll try and get some screenshots up. What I'll usually do is fly into a major airport in the 747, which I have so cleverly modified to my standards that the helicopter fits in it (not really, but that's how I like to think of it), then take the chopper for a spin. Tahiti, Bahamas, California, Hawaii, you name it- it's a great way to see the scenery, especially if you have really cool add-on scenery with buildings and other planes and stuff- lots of fun.

If you guys have any more trouble flying the heli, email me at FalconJet4820d@cox.net, and I'll be happy to help.

L8r,
-Notar520AC
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

Continental

Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:46 pm

Hp340: while landing pitch up while reducing the throttle sufficiently to touch down softly on the ground. Hope that's a help!

I prefer the 'cut the throttle 6 feet above the ground and let it drop! LOL

Continental

hoons90

Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:17 pm

I enjoy flying the AS365 Dauphin, it is available on Avsim  Smile
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

KLAX

Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:37 pm

I love to fly the heli, but its just pretty difficult without rudder pedals Big grin But I'm going to get some pedals and a new Yoke (to replace my joystick for Cessna and Baron flying). But the Bell is alot easier to control in 2K2 then in 2000. I saw that BeautifuL Dauphin on Avsim too Hoons. I'll be sure to get that one Big grin

-Clovis