mtrpls

Please Help! Question About Scanners

Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:19 am

Hello all,

I just bought a Radio Shack PRO-93 scanner that I am just beginning to play with now. The first thing I want to do, of course, is to listen to air traffic control, but I have been unable to "tap in" to hear any conversations. I have tried to tune the scanner to every frequency between 108.00 and 136.00. I do, however, ocassionaly pick up airport information and NOTAMS, and sometimes I can hear some ATC chatter, but everything is lost behind static noise and weak transmissions.

I must admit, I am very far from the nearest airport (Denver International), about 30 miles away. In order to hear ATIS, Approach, Departure, Ground and Tower frequencies, is it necessary to be in the very near vicinity of the airport? Could this be my problem?

Also, since I've never done this before, is listening to ATC as simple as tuning to the right frequency and leaving it at that, or do the frequencies constantly jump around like the police/fire departments do? Can I, for example, leave the scanner tuned to 122.5 and listen to that channel for as long as I want, or do I have to somehow set the scanner to "chase" that particular channel?

Anyone else use a Radio Shack PRO-93 who cares to give me any advice on how to best use it?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

flightsimfreak

RE: Please Help! Question About Scanners

Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:37 am

You would listen to the same channel... not jump, as with trunking police and fire channels. The frequencies would be published in the Airport/facilities directory for your area, which should cost about $5 at your local airport.