Fred
Topic Author

TWA Reverse Livery

Thu May 01, 2003 2:36 am

I am looking for a couple of good photos of the TWA MD 80 Wings of Pride. Instead of the normal white fuselage with the red markings, this airplane was bright red with white markings. I have one photo of from the front right of the nose but would like to see more of the wings and stabilizers and the left side. I am a model builder and have found a decal for it and want to build it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Fred

Pronto

RE: TWA Reverse Livery

Fri May 02, 2003 5:57 am

Just scan through photos on this site under TWA MD-80 - I just finished the same model - that's what I did - if it's any help, wings and tail are all grey(I used aircraft grey) with silver leading edges. I painted the ice strips on the wings. The top white stripe is in line with the windows, just a little below them. Engines and pylons are red. Belly is natural metal with grey at wing fairing. All strakes and antennae are white. Exhaust is silver(maybe touch up with a little exhaust stain). This a/c has following window pattern; L/S - 33 to front of emer exit, 2 exits(with window between , of course), 10, door, 2 blank, 2: R/S - 34 to front, 2 exits, 18.
Door outlines are actually red/white and decal is grey, but what-the-heck - Finished product looks great!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Pries - A.T. TEAM

Fred
Topic Author

RE: TWA Reverse Livery

Fri May 02, 2003 8:17 am

Thank you Joe for your speedy response. I am hoping to do well enough with this that I can enter it at the IPMS/USA Nationals in Oklahoma City in July. The picture you sent is beautiful and very sharp. I am printing it for future reference.

I live within five miles of Lambert International airport in St.Louis.Mo. and never ever thought of getting pictures. I've only had the digital camera since fathers day last year and by then it was to late. TWA is dead and gone.

Anything I can do for you just let me know, I'll do what I can.

Fred Amos frogfred@cs.com