AA7771stClass
Topic Author

FS2004 ATC

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:45 am

I was playing today and came across a question for all of you who have played the game a considerably amount... Thus far, have you found that ATC will keep you clear of terrain? I'm kind of sketchy of it sometimes and haven't yet hit anything but I dramatically reduced my descent rate into JAC because I thought they were going to run me into mountains... So, any thoughts? Thanks.

RE: FS2004 ATC

Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:01 am

I've noticed the same. I was shooting an instrument approach into Burlington, (BTV) and I noticed that I was far closer to the terrain than I would be comfortable with in real life. I've also noticed the same thing flying into SLC, Portland, OR (PDX) and other mountainous areas. One suggestion would be to fly the full approach, rather than just accept vectors. That way, the ATC system assigns you the altitude that's shown for the terminal route, which gives terrain clearance. So you'd be safe from the IAF on in, and on the feeder route. That helps a bit, I guess.

-Normal

[Edited 2003-09-16 01:03:37]

suspen

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:56 pm

Haven't hit terrain yet but I have been vectored into areas that would get me shot down in real life :P
Tower: "Cessna xxxx, state your intentions", Cessna: "To become airline pilot"

cancidas

Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:53 pm

that's always good.  Big grin
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

clrd2go

Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:01 am

I've been lucky, I think, and have managed to avoid mountains while being
vectored..but, I think that's more attributable to luck than ATC's intelligence.

Jim
'
What a long strange trip it's been

Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:03 pm

I gave it a shot. I flew a Learjet into SLC, and asked for the full approach. I didn't get close to the mountains. Moral of the story? FS ATC can't vector.

-Normal

wilax

Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:50 pm

I've had fs2002 run me into mountains on approach to MEX, but 04 seems to keep me just barely above them. I am also uncomfortable with the low altitudes given to me when I am still 30+ miles away from the airport, well under the ILS.

I have also noticed that even though there are multiple runways active, ATC still tends to pack 4 or 5 arriving aircraft onto the same runway causing inevitable go-arounds. I've found myself sidestepping on my own because I see another plane cut right in front of me before I am cleared.

Also, I 've noticed that at airports with intersecting runways, ATC will only have one set of runways active.

Still room for improvement...

LFutia

Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:07 am

While flying into Mangalore, India, IXE/VOML, I was descending into IXE and i was at 8,500 feet and i thought that I was gonna crash so i did nothing but soon, ATC told me to climb to 10,000 feet... Then soon i turned and did a normal descent, down to 6000, then 3000, then 2500 or something like that...

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

b752fanatic

Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:48 am

A suggestion to all.

Use VATSIM ATC.

Its real time with real people flying and controlling.

Its the most real ATC you can find and is free.

Vatsim.net
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

Danny

Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:44 am

Absolutely right B752fanatic. Even though I like to watch AI traffic - nothing can compare to flying with real people. Go Vatsim guys!

Daniel