cramos

How Do You Do A Modified Base Turn In FS?

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:03 am

If anyone flies for real here, could you give me some advice on flying a modified base turn in FS?

This seems like an exciting maneuver and I've always wanted to try it to practice my skill at landing. If I'm correct, the turn initiates shortly after the downwind leg, and continues a smooth turn until just arriving final for landing. How do I set myself up for such a turn? I will try it with a small aircraft first.

Regards

sushka

RE: How Do You Do A Modified Base Turn In FS?

Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:44 am

You normally make a base turn after you see the end of the runway behind the wing on your side, 45 degrees, etc. Or just when you are sure that you will be able to descend and make the runway.

A modified turn would mean that it has been changed. They are usually modified for other traffic.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

USAFHummer

Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:59 am

Another use for the modified base is for engine out landings...my instructors loved to pull this one in the pattern on me...basically as we were on downwind parallel to midfield....the throttle would come out and my instructor would be like "oops, engine failure", and in that case a modified base would be used since you are relying on glide power alone....

In general, modified is a pretty ambigious term like Sushka says....its basically anything deviating from a normal base leg...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

meister808

Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:57 am

Well, to do a modified like you say, where the base/final turn just becomes one motion, you would just shallow out the base turn. Instead of turning, say, 30° and leveling out again, you would just hold 15° or 20° all the way in.

It's a hard call in FS, since it is hard to judge distance, altitude, and angle to the runway, all of which are pretty crucial to flying a VFR pattern.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

cramos

Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:12 am

So it does depend on a slightly shallow turn while turning final. You're right about judging things in FS because I constantly have to switch views to make sure I'm turning enough, as well as descending.

Here's what I understand so far:

Go downwind as usual.
After the runway is 45 degrees behind me, turn 15 or 20 degrees.

I'm assuming I should take a descent of about 500fpm and maintain a constant approach speed right?

Regards