Dr.DTW
Topic Author

JP Video: United 777: Don't Waste Your Money

Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:55 pm

Just got my Just Plane United 777 video...

For those of you that are thinking about buying it, don't waste your money. What a tremendous disappointment...

I know some of you have commented on this video here before, and had excellent things to say about. I couldn't disagree more.

It's probably one of the worst airliner videos I've seen. The crew looks like they have no interest whatsoever in the production of the video. Half of the time, you can't even hear what is being said, and there is no ATC feed. How about the aircraft walk around inspection at ORD? Was that a five year-old that did the video editing??? With regard to the rest of the video quality, I could have done better camera work. To sum it up, it looks like some amateur cameraman took a video camera into a cockpit, and filmed a very bored and uninterested crew.

Next time, JP should chose a cockpit crew who has an interest in showing off their machine, and making videos.

Anyone else have different opinions???

LAX

RE: JP Video: United 777: Don't Waste Your Money

Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:02 pm

>>"Anyone else have different opinions???"

I sure do.
The UAL Boeing 777 DVD is a fabulous program (IMO). Cpt. Eldridge is a great host on this DVD. Don't know where the above poster gets the idea that the flight crew was bored to tears. I don't get that impression at all. Eldridge seemed as enthusiastic as you could expect I suppose, seeing as how we're watching two actual revenue flights. (Was he supposed to be bouncing off the walls like a giddy 14-year-old after being invited into the cockpit??)  Smile

I esp. liked the taxiing sequences @ ORD and LHR.

But...quite obviously, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time.  Smile

United_fan

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:55 pm

I liked the DVD very much. I too liked the taxi scenes at ORD seeing UA's 727-200 and BA's 747-200's , video must have been made Summer 2001.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Capt.Fantastic

Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:26 am

I purchased this not too long ago and I must agree with Dr. DTW. The UAL 777 video was poorly made and definitely not worth the money. The captain appears disinterested and even a bit arrogant. The FO's walk around at ORD is terrible - you can't hear a thing! Also, the video work is amateur. I have seen / bought many of these videos and the JP UAL 777 gets a C- in my opinion ... There are higher quality videos out there. I just got the Air Luxor one, and is it quite good. The captain is very thorough and camera friendly. There is lots of nice footage and interesting approaches.

777guy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:10 am

I almost feel like we must be watching two separate videos here. Personally I think this is a very interesting cockpit crew. Captain Eldridge does a great job interacting with camera crew. I have watched it several times and will watch again in future. As far as disinterested crew, I will agree on the cabin crew but that is a small part and easily skipped over to next chapter. The taxi scenes at ORD are very excellently filmed and also at LHR . This film also includes some of the shapest views of the city of London on approach.
Of course all this aside, I understand that not everyone would like the same as me and I respect your opinion here.  Smile

USAFHummer

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:13 am

Interesting discussion as I was considering purchasing this DVD sometime soon...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

dc863

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:47 pm

At least you get to see a cockpit of a 777 during flight descent etc.. some JP videos are better than others. I tend to stick to the oldies that they've featured such as the BETA 707, ViaBrazil 727, AOM DC-10. Some truly poor ones are the Air Georgia TU154, Challenge 707 is fair, and the Star L1011-500 is just okay nothing special.

gmonney

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:32 pm

I think its a great DVD, there are some interesting facts about the United 777, and there is a section on landing's and take off's all part of the DVD. A must see for sure, i don't know what the doc perscribed to himself but it sure works!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

Gerry

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:11 pm

I tend to agree with Dr.DTW. It is poorly filmed and edited. Actually the cabin crew briefing was very enlightening. They looked bored to death and could not bring themselves to listen to the captain who really was trying to do the best he could. The sound in the walkaround inspection was terrible and the camera focus work in the cockpit was not the sort of thing you normally expect from Jan Mogren. Systems description was good but then you would expect that. It seems interesting that the Charter people like those in the Air Atlanta DVD take a great deal more trouble to make a great presentation. I agree - very disappointing!

[Edited 2003-10-26 11:13:25]

Danny

Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:03 am

Excellent video. Little old though so quality is lower that in recent ones.

LAX

Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:49 pm

Old???

The UAL came out in March 2002.

That's considered "old" in some eyes??

Curious.

soontobepilot

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:19 pm

It was fine, nothing spectacular, other than the fact that the last two chapters did not work on my DVD player. I replaced the DVD, and it worked even worse. Maybe this is just my machine, but I missed the landing at LHR and I was very disappointed.

-STBP

777-200

Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:46 am

Well, I liked the video but the quality wasn't that great ... Especially when the captain tells about the systems in the 777, you can hardly hear him!
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

Jkw777

Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:33 am

I have the same DVD, yeah i can agree that the camera work is a little poor and some of the sounds are poor. But I feel that Cpt Eldridge done a very good job, although he was nervous at first 'Ahhh... Ahhh'!  Laugh out loud

I have watched it many times and it really is good for picking up on some of the interesting facts about the 777.  Smile

Also some of the take offs and landings in that small interval in the middle were very good indeed!

(For those who have it)

The take off from Newark where the WTC comes into shot... R.I.P.... the sound of those engines is mind blowing! I love that sound its at around the 1:25:52 mark!! If you think I am crazy, go and skip to that part and listen  Big grin.

Regards,

Justin.  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

modesto2

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:36 pm

This is the only cockpit video I own and quite frankly, I'm disappointed! I must agree with the original post - the video is poorly edited. I can't even see the cockpit at night when the captain reviews the aircraft's systems. And the majority of the video is pointed out the cockpit window. How about some instrument shots? It's the same view the dude sitting in the back will see! It certainly wasn't technical enough. They should have placed much more emphasis on flight ops, procedures and aircraft systems. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

subzero

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:35 am

Kind of off topic, but is their any good DVD's from the states? It seems like all but a small hand full from Just Planes are over seas. I was just curious. I'd like to see airports I've actually been to in real life and on the same type of plane I've been on. Is there another company besides "Just Planes".

As for the UAL777, it seems to me the good kind of out ways the bad in this post so maybe I'll have to add it to my x-mas list!  Smile

Thanks a lot.
Richard

LAX

Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:26 am

>> "...any good DVD's from the states?"

Oh yes. Several JPV offerings from U.S. aerodromes........

http://www.worldairroutes.com/ContinentalExp.html

http://www.worldairroutes.com/FCA.html

http://www.worldairroutes.com/Royal.html

http://www.worldairroutes.com/Scenic.html

http://www.worldairroutes.com/VGAir.html

>>"Is there another company besides 'Just Planes'.?"

Several. But very few produce "in-the-cockpit" programs.

http://www.itvv.com has 15 cockpit programs (but none since December 2000), with several of them featuring flights to the USA, including a 5-hour Concorde program. I'd say my fave here would be the Virgin 744 flight to SFO. http://itvv.com/virb747400.asp

[Edited 2003-11-06 19:32:53]

subzero

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:11 am

thanks so much for the information. Very appreciated.

Richard

TK

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:11 am

If you're interested in the cockpit and instrument panel, forget about Justplanes.

I've seen the United 777 video. I'd give it an average score C/C+.
The Air France A330 video on the other hand is a complete waste of time.
The stuff they filmed makes no sense. It's all scenery and landscape. Gives only a very brief view of the instruments. I want to SEE the instrument panel and the crew's actions when the plane is taxiing, taking off, climbing, descending and landing. Justplanes videos seem to fail miserably in this area.
There is WAY too much focus on outside scenery.
It's basically 90% scenery and 10% cockpit.

AndrewAir

Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:28 am

I agree with TK, there are not enougn cockpit shots. The Transavia Airlines DVD is a good example of this. I've heard the ITVV videos have great cockpit shots but I have not seen any yet.

AMc