Santhosh
Topic Author

Is Radio Shack PRO-89 Scanner Good

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:08 pm

I was thinking for buying a PRO-89 scanner.I heard that its mostly used for racing purpose.So is it good enough for receive ATC transmissions especially if you are at a distance inside 6 Nm from the Airport?What is the range of the PRO-89 and is it possible to hear all transmissions related with aviation like ILS,VOR,TWR,APP,CTR etc? If anyone knows more about the pro89 please share some information regarding it.

Thankfully,
S.K.George
Happy Landings :)

goboeing

RE: Is Radio Shack PRO-89 Scanner Good

Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:30 am

You sent me an email, and for some reason, AOL is not allowing me to send my reply so I will post it here.

So is it possible to recive ATC transmisions from the airport near me which is about 4.5 Nautical Miles away from my home?Is it possible to hear TWR-APP as well as ATIS broadcasts?

Yes. You should have no problems receiving transmissions from ATC that is so close to you. I can hear Northeast Philadelphia Tower and it's 7 NM away from me. It comes in a little "fuzzy" with some static, but 4.5 NM away should have even less of that. Scanners operate on "line-of-sight", if you didn't know which means that they'll pick up basically anything the antenna could see if it had an eyeball on top! So planes in the air come in very clear and I can hear them up to 200 NM away, just not the controller on the ground who might be in New York, Cleveland, Boston, or Washington, D.C.

Is it possible to use and AC adapter with the set so that i dont have to change batteries all time.

Yes. I bought one at Radio Shack and I think it was approximately $10.

Also how long does the batteris last in the pro-89?

It depends on which type of batteries. I'm not sure about alkaline because I never really "timed" how long I used it, I just used it sporadically but they will last more than about 5 hours, I'm sure. Now I'm using rechargeable Nickel-Metal batteries since I have the charger for that type with my digital camera. They are more expensive (about $20 for 4 AA size) but should last much, much longer than alkaline. I already used them for about four hours spotting at PHL two days ago and the battery warning did not come on.

Should I have to ask them to buy any small spare parts or anything like that for the set?

Nothing that I can think of. You'll want the AC adapter, and if you get rechargeable batteries they must have the charger. I can't think of anything else.

I have read somewhere that the PRO-89 has Triple Conversion.What does that term mean?

I have no idea what that means. I know that scanning frequencies is legal in the United States but I'm not sure about anywhere else in the world including India. Remember, though, you cannot transmit on a scanner, so there is absolutely no way you can interfere with anything, so I don't know why they'd be illegal.

That's about all I can say about it, it works good and you can program up to 220 frequencies into it's memory and scan them all at the same time if you want. This works well if you're at an airport and you wanted to listen to tower, ground, and approach all at once, for example. You can tell it to scan those 3 frequencies. Enjoy it if you get one! What part of India do you live in?

Nick