LAX
Topic Author

6-Hour Kai Tak 2-DVD Set Coming From Just Planes!

Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:49 pm

On March 31, 2004, Just Planes Videos will release a 2-Disc DVD set featuring Kai Tak International Airport, which closed forever in July 1998.

I've been looking forward to a "Best Of Kai Tak" type of DVD release from JPV for a couple of years now. I've known it was in the works for quite some time now, and am glad to see it's now officially been announced on the Just Planes' website.

This Kai Tak DVD set will contain ALL of the "Final Day" program (which was previously released on VHS format); plus ALL of the 1997 two-hour program.

I've been told by JPV's main man that the first 3 hours of this mega six-hour set will contain approx. one-half of the first 3 VHS videos of HKG, but part of this portion will be "re-edited" to feature possibly some footage that was not included on the VHS versions. Basically, Mr. Moskal has chosen the "best" footage of the first six hours of 1995-1996 material to place onto Disc 1 of this DVD collection.

I'm very excited about this release....and I hope some of you guys who enjoy JPV's products will be too. (Nice-looking cover too, IMO.  Smile)

Price is $39.95 (USD), plus the $6.00 (USD) for the cheapest Shipping option. Not a bad deal, considering it's six full hours of the greatest airport ever designed (from a spotter's point-of-view). In fact, it's much less expensive than what the same amount of video footage would cost in the WAR series. Six hours of WAR programs would = $60.00.

While the picture quality will certainly not be as good as the newer Digitally-produced JPV programs on DVD, I think the Kai Tak material will still be pretty good. But we do need to keep in mind that ALL of this material was shot BEFORE JPV went to "Digital" cameras in late 1998. So all the footage will be NON-Digital. However, I've been told that (while certainly not "perfect"), it's still fairly decent-looking after the transfer to DVD. And anyway, it's Kai Tak! So any footage is bound to look good of this great airport, in my view.  Smile

I'd enjoy hearing what you guys think of this DVD set when it arrives (that is, if you decide to cough up the $45.95 to get a copy  Smile).

I, for one, am looking forward to this DVD release very much.

http://www.justplanes.com

http://www.justplanes.com/HKG.html

[Edited 2004-02-14 06:05:54]

777guy

RE: 6-Hour Kai Tak 2-DVD Set Coming From Just Planes!

Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:29 am

First off I apologize for being so long in spotting this post. It looks like an airport DVD that I might really consider buying. If so it would be my first since they went to DVD format. So I am wondering do they break the airport DVDs into chapters or is it just a continuous run format? From the look of their site it does not address this.

LAX
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:09 pm

777 .........

Yes, the JPV Airport DVDs *are* divided into "Chapters". There's a chapter break every 30 minutes. I assume the 2-Disc Kai Tak will continue that trend.

777guy

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:19 pm

OK thannks for the info LAX  Big thumbs up

LAX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:20 pm

S'alright.  Smile

But remember ..... For supplying invaluable info like this, YOU must buy me the upcoming Kai Tak program. If you're short on funds at the moment, you can pay via the Installment Plan.  Big grin

"Cathay 778 Heavy, Kai Tak Tower ... Wind 230 @ 12, Altimeter Two-Niner-Niner-Eight, Cleared to land, Runway 13. ... Caution: Wake Turbulence; preceding arrival was heavy Boeing Triple-Seven."  Smile  Smile

warren747sp

Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:54 am

IS this DVD compatable with USA region 1 dvd player? It does not look that way.!
747SP

LAX
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:48 am

>> "IS this DVD compatible with USA region 1 dvd player? It does not look that way!"

Why would you say this?
JPV is a USA-based company (Boston, Mass.). Of course their DVDs are compatible with R.1.

In fact, ALL of JPV's DVDs are "Region Free" (Region "0"). So they will play on any player (as long as said player can handle NTSC discs).

Just curious Warren ..... What on the Kai Tak webpage has led you to think the disc is NOT a Region 1 disc?

http://www.justplanes.com/order2.html

N754PR

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:09 pm

Air Utopia have just released more DVD's from Kai Tak.

http://store.yahoo.com/airutopia/dvd.html
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

roots

Air Utopia Kai Tak DVD's

Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:55 am

Does anyone have their DVD's? Are they any good? These two look interesting.

N754PR

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:01 am

As mentioned on the boxes the pictures are only pictures, The EXACT landings are not in the video.

If you like aviation you will like them, if you want stuff made by a pro then you may not be 100% happy and neither will you get it for the same price. I can tell you the guy puts a great deal of time into making the DVD's.

For the record some of the tape I took in the mid 90's is used in these DVD's and before any of you ask, NO I dont get commission!!

LAX
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:33 pm

>> "As mentioned on the boxes the pictures are only pictures, The EXACT landings are not in the video."

Sure don't know where you arrive at that info. I've got them all, and NOWHERE on any of the DVD packages does it say this about the cover shots. (Although, it IS very possible, and even likely, that N754 is correct 100%, and that the photos are just "examples" of the "kind" of action you'll see on the DVDs.)

I've watched nearly all of "Vol. 9", and I think it's pretty darn good.

There's a brief "Producer Commentary", subtitles for much of the ATC we hear, and interesting on-screen facts about the airlines that frequented Kai Tak International during the times filmed, which vary by DVD -- some are from 1994-1995; with "The Final Day" being, duh!, the Final Day (07/05/1998)  Smile (hehe); and "The Final Year" being 1997-1998 coverage.

http://www.airutopia.com

N754PR

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Lax,

I just received 10, 11 and 12. Thats how I saw that.

Cambodian 727-200, 737-200, UA 772 with 777 tiles etc.

Rgds

LAX
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:52 pm

>> "I just received 10, 11, and 12. That's how I saw that."

Then you received a different cover design from the ones I received. (Although I did return them all, due to failure to play on NTSC machines.)

777guy

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:22 am

Does anybody know what the running time on these various Air Utopia programs are?

LAX
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:27 pm

To N754pr ...... I feel the need to offer up an official apology to you regarding the matter of the Air Utopia packaging notes. You are 100% correct. The back of the boxes do indeed (in small lettering) state: "Not all photos match every scene".

I overlooked this small text previously. Sorry about my stupidity on this matter. No hard feelings, I hope.  Smile

Regards,
LAX

LAX
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:37 pm

>> "Does anybody know what the running time on these various Air Utopia programs are?"

Yes.
All of the DVDs run 75 minutes, except Volume 9 ("Kai Tak Final Year"), which runs 90 minutes.

As for their VHS airport videos (which will probably ALL be transferred to DVD as well pretty soon) -- SXM runs the longest (a full 2 hours); the San Diego and Bangkok volumes run 90 minutes each; with the remainder of them lasting 75 minutes each.

Utopia's one "cockpit" volume (PB Air) runs for 90 minutes.

Mr.BA

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:20 pm

Ahh.. if only there are VCD versions..
Boeing747 万岁!

LAX
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:31 pm

Why would you prefer VCDs over DVD-Video? DVD offers much better quality.

N754PR

Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:05 am

LAX,

Not a problem  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aviationwiz

RE: 6-Hour Kai Tak 2-DVD Set Coming From Just Plan

Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:44 am

I just ordered this myself, I spotted it in the JustPlanes newsletter I got today and ordered immediatly. $47.95 with UPS Ground shipping. (USPS isn't reliable enough for my tastes.)
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

747srule

Justplanes HKG DVD

Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:04 pm

Quite the EXCELLENT DVD!!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

777guy

Justplanes HKG DVD

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:25 am

"I just ordered this myself, I spotted it in the JustPlanes newsletter I got today and ordered immediatly. $47.95 with UPS Ground shipping. (USPS isn't reliable enough for my tastes.)"

I always use the USPS option for my Just Plane orders and usually receive within 2 working days. Just curious if others here have problems with the USPS ordering?

LAX
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:36 am

>> "Just curious if others here have problems with the USPS ordering?"

Not here. JPV's USPS Shipping is excellent. They always ship via "Priority". Arrives in 2 days.

Upgrading to UPS or FedEx on JPV domestic orders is a total waste of $$, IMO. Because it's NOT any faster. (Same with Amazon.com. Their FREE S&H, in fact, is as fast (sometimes faster!) than if you pay for Shipping.)

I only wish JPV would offer a "Media Mail" option for an amount less than the $6.00 standard USPS charge. It would probably only take 1 to 2 days longer to arrive; but the charge would be approx. $2-$3 less.

Let's face it, kids, shipping an order containing a single 4-oz. DVD does NOT cost anybody $6.00 to ship (even using Priority). That would cost you or me $1.42 to mail via "Media" (in USA).

Having a lower-cost "Media Mail" option would be welcome, in my view.

[Edited 2004-04-04 23:41:42]

777guy

Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:02 am

Upgrading to UPS or FedEx on JPV domestic orders is a total waste of $$, IMO. Because it's NOT any faster. (Same with Amazon.com. Their FREE S&H, in fact, is as fast (sometimes faster!) than if you pay for Shipping.)

I only wish JPV would offer a "Media Mail" option for an amount less than the $6.00 standard USPS charge. It would probably only take 1 to 2 days longer to arrive; but the charge would be approx. $2-$3 less.

I agree with you on both counts here LAX.
As for the the "Media Mail" option it would not bother me to wait a few extra days for delivery. Over the course of several purchases that would save a bundle of costs.  Big thumbs up

H. Simpson

Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:37 am

How is the quality of the video though? Good/bad/terrible/masterpiece? Big grin

LAX
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:00 am

>> "Good/bad/terrible/masterpiece?"

Good.
Very good, in fact, for non-digital footage (IMO).

aviationwiz

RE: 6-Hour Kai Tak 2-DVD Set Coming From Just Plan

Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:04 am

I always upgrade to UPS if given the choice. USPS is not reliable, there is no tracking, and no guaranteed delivery times. Amazon's free shipping, depending on what you are ordering, ships a variety of different ways. My electronics orders always ship UPS, while CD's & DVD's always go USPS Media Mail. Smaller book orders will go USPS Media Mail, and larger book orders may go via DHL@Home.

UPS is the only carrier with guaranteed, always on-time, with up to the minute tracking, good rates, and reliable service.

Also, for a normal DVD like a JustPlanes DVD, try these for thier costs:

Priority: $3.85
UPS Ground: $4-$5 depends on destination
FedEx 2nd day: About $10, $15 wouldn't surprise me though
A What If Media Mail: $1.42

Out of those, I'd gladly pay extra for the UPS Ground, the FedEx 2nd day is not reliable.

USPS Media Mail is terrible, it takes 5 business days at the least to get to it's destination from CA to MN, then say, coast to coast would be a good 8 business days. UPS doing CA to MN in 4 business days, and coast to coast in 6 business days or so, perhaps 5.

Don't argue shipping with me, unless you are a UPS Customer such as myself, I am the shipping expert on every forum I go to, and I'm not even kidding.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

LAX
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:52 pm

>> "USPS Media Mail is terrible, it takes 5 business days at the least to get to it's destination from CA to MN, then say, coast to coast would be a good 8 business days. UPS doing CA to MN in 4 business days, and coast to coast in 6 business days or so, perhaps 5."

I must disagree completely (again) with you here.
My experiences (albeit perhaps NOT the "average" USPS experience) have always been excellent using USPS Media. True, many times it's a couple to four days longer to arrive. But, IMO --- so what? I'd much rather save the $$$ than waste it (IMO) on S&H that I could be getting sent for nothing. YMMV, obviously.  Smile (And obviously, Mr. Wiz's mileage varies from mine quite considerably.)  Smile

But from your own examples (above), it seems to me the UPS option is indeed a huge waste of cash....given your examples of: 5 days for Media and just ONE less day for UPS. So, you've spent more $$ to get your product(s) just 24 hrs. sooner. Not nearly a big enough difference to entice me to spend money for S&H.

>> "USPS is not reliable, there is no tracking..."

You're dead wrong here. You CAN track USPS packages nowadays (even Media Mail items). Every pkg. sent "Media" by Amazon can be tracked @ amazon.com.

When adding up the cash saved by NOT using expedited S&H on every order (for anything ordered on-line), I've probably saved enough moo-lah to buy dozens of extra DVDs or books or CDs. That's incentive enough for me not to use a premium Shipping option.

Plus -- There's the additional negative factor that a UPS delivery means that your package will be sitting outside your house (on the porch or in the driveway), fully exposed to the elements for XX number of hours -- which is much less desirable than a USPS option, where the product will be placed right in the mailbox.

Since about 1995, UPS delivery men rarely (if ever) actually ring the doorbell and hand you the package physically.

>> "Don't argue shipping with me, unless you are a UPS Customer such as myself, I am the shipping expert on every forum I go to, and I'm not even kidding."

Too late. (And I'm not even kiddin' ya!  Smile) I've already argued my (quite valid IMO) points on S&H, and the total waste of funds to go with anything except FREE S&H, or the cheapest allowable option for each order. (Unless, of course, you're sending away for some type of life-saving emergency equipment that you simply MUST have within 24 to 48 hours! ... Such as -- say -- the Season 1 DVD set of "The West Wing".)  Smile -----

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JLF3/qid=1081828202/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-6994300-3554237?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

[Edited 2004-04-13 06:16:30]

LAX
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:22 am

My Review for the Just Planes Videos 2-Disc DVD presentation of Hong Kong -- Kai Tak International Airport (released onto Digital Versatile Disc on March 31st, 2004). .....................

Aspect Ratio: Full Frame (1.33:1).
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo.
Running Time: 360 minutes (6 hours).
DVD Region Code: "Zero" (Region Free; NTSC).
No. of Discs: 2.
Menus: Static.
MSRP: $39.95 (U.S.).
Case Type: Keep Case.

--------------------------------------------------------

If you need a Kai Tak "fix", look no further than this excellent 2-Disc DVD program from Just Planes. Six solid hours of non-stop action from one of the most exciting and photogenic airports of all-time -- Kai Tak International in Hong Kong.

Kai Tak closed in 1998, but not before the video team from Just Planes produced many hours of footage of this one-of-a-kind aviation facility. And the majority of that footage can be found on this double-disc DVD presentation.

Kai Tak was widebody heaven, with just about every type of heavy jet you can think of putting in an appearance at HKG, and making that sharp right turn at the highly-recognizable "Checkerboard" just before touching down. There are countless views of spectacular and picturesque "Runway 13" landings offered up during this mega-Kai Tak program, including sixty minutes of coverage from the very last day of operations at the airport, filmed on July 5, 1998. Also included during the "Final Day" segment is in-flight footage filmed from the cabin of a Boeing 747-400 while on final approach into Kai Tak. Great stuff!

Get ready to witness some cool and crazy-looking vapor trails coming off the wings of many Boeings and Airbusses as they descend on final approach. Hong Kong's often-humid days made these fascinating trails of visible condensed air a common occurrence for aircraft bearing down on Runway 13.

Despite the fact that this HKG footage was captured many years ago (before JPV made the switch to digital camera equipment), the video quality on this program is very good. In fact, in my opinion, it looks excellent for a non-digital video source. On most occasions, you can even freeze-frame an image with very little blurring, which is nearly impossible to do when freezing a VHS tape. And the 2.0 Dolby Digital soundtrack serves very nicely as well.

Each of the two discs is divided up into six parts (or Chapters), with each chapter lasting approximately 30 minutes. The photograph used for the DVD "Menu" background is the same one we see adorning the DVD cover and the physical discs themselves, only the "Menu" image shows it in its full, uncropped form. It's a beautiful photo (taken by Lawrence Chiu) depicting a combination of Jumbo Jet, Kowloon Bay, Runway 13, and the lights of Hong Kong. A stunning image indeed, that looks all the better on a large-screen TV.

Kai Tak may have closed its gates and its one lone (and very busy) runway in 1998, but this unique and exquisite aerodrome will live on forever on the superior DVD-Video format thanks to this stellar production from Just Planes Videos!

Any plane-watching aviation fan, or anyone who wishes to keep the memory of the great Kai Tak Airport at arm's reach, will want to pick up this DVD set while they still can.