Just Planes / World Air Routes - Which Do You Have

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi!

I just wonderd which Just Planes / world air routes viedeos / dvd's you have and which you like best???

I have

Air France A330 --- I love the training part, and the BOS approach is awesome too

Air Tahiti Nui A340 --- The inflight scenes to LAX are very cool

VHS Varig Fleet --- Lots of interesting Brazilian airports of which I've not heard before... I love the domestic flights with the 737

so, which do you like best?

chicago757

RE: Just Planes / World Air Routes - Which Do You Have

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:00 pm

I have San Francisco...nice video...hope to aquire more!
Go White Sox!!!!

Gerry

Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:41 pm

I have just bought the Air Seychelles DVD. Fantastic and much better than the United 777 DVD that has come in for some justifiable criticism in this forum. The best of them all is the Air Atlanta DVD featuring the 747 -100 and the 762 on Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Charter flights. Unfortunately my Air Talanta DVD has died from over use and I cannot get a replacement. The Seychelles one is interesting because it uses some excellent views from the passenger cabin on take off and landing. The Twin Otter footage is superb to some very interesting squeezed in island runways. Well worth it.

LAX

Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:50 pm

>> "Unfortunately my Air Atlanta DVD has died from over use..."

How is that even possible?? DVDs are virtually impossible to "wear out". Did it get scratched somehow, and thus won't play? Other than scratching a disc, there's no reason at all that I can fathom as to why a DVD-Video disc wouldn't last forever.

And: I agree with you -- the Air Atlanta DVD program *is* a beauty. The two newest ones look to be great air adventures as well ..... "Winair" (with THIRTY individual flights presented, plus gorgeous cover art!) and "FlyJet", which will feature my favorite narrow-body, the B757, on 8 flights -- including flights to two RAF bases!

[Edited 2004-02-28 13:58:19]

AFC_Ajax00

Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:10 pm

I've got the LanChile DVD (A340, A320, B737-200) and the recently released SAA DVD (B747-400, B747SP, A300 and B737-800). I really love the SAA one, beautiful views of CPT.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

FMAL

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:06 am

Varig Boeing 737-300

Ryanair737

Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:48 am

Nationwide Air, which features the BAC 1-11, B727 and B737. Great DVD with loads of cabin views and wing views. I also have the dba one which I got in December, which is good as well. I have also seen the QR one from a friend, which is definitely worth getting!

Soon I will get the HLX DVD which looks great, and maybe the SAA one later in the year. I agree with you Lax, the FlyJet DVD looks excellent. With a rare look at a UK charter airline, the 757-200 and flights from MAN (which is my home airport).

Ryanair737  Smile
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

Jj

Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:09 am

i have:

Nationwide: Escellent, lots of flights, 2 cockpit presentationes, three walk arounds, superb.

Canadian north: not so good, most of the landings focus on the scenery...

Greenlandair: Good, but becomes repetitive after some time.

Air Tahiti: Excellent one, lovely scenery!

I plan to buy: South African, Kenya Airways, Polynesian and Winair soon...

DeltaRules

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:36 am

I like most of the ones I have- I have:

VHS:
FITC 1- Carnival 727...nice thing about it is the pilots ignore the camera.
FITC 14- Fine Air DC-8...better of the two DC-8 videos. Shows landings at a couple islands & great scenery.
FITC 15- Fine Air DC-8
FITC 16- Royal 727
FITC 17- Royal L-1011...first one I got, best of the Royal videos & one of the best overall.
FITC 18- Challenge 757...another really good video.
FITC 19- Royal A-310...not too bad. I felt that they should've shown more than they did.
FITC 23- Royal 737-200
WAR Atlas Air 747-200/-400. This one's a good video- I really like the DFW-ATL route on the 747-200.
WAR Eurowings A319- Just got this one & finished it yesterday. All they showed in terms of ground activity on some of the legs were the takeoffs & landings. They showed them taxiing in the first video, but that was it. It's OK, but needs more than it has.

DVD:
CO Express ATR-42. Can't hear a lot of what the crew's saying due to the prop noise. ATC in this one is next to non-existant. Other than that, it's good.
United 777-This one's pretty good.
Canadian North 737-200/F28- The German sounding captain on the F28 is somewhat hard to understand, but you still get the gist of what's going on. Liked the leg in the cabin & the flight to the Diavik Mine.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Captain_777

Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:10 am

United 777 - I think it is really neat!

I look forward to buying more Just Planes videos.

Gerry

Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:04 pm

Thanks LAX - you're right of course DVDs don't wear out. Mine just became inoperable because of scratching that the local video shop cannot seem to remove. The FlyJet 757 looks like an excellent replacement. It even flies to Paphos! Thanks for the information.

LAX

Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:24 pm

YW, Gerry.  Smile

btw .... Just finished watching AirUtopia's DVD: "Kai Tak Vol. 1 -- Final Days", and it's quite good! Some unique camera positions, subtitles option for any on-screen text, 5.1 sound, and a little bit of commentary (including a brief talk by a DC-8 pilot who used to fly into Kai Tak and Runway 13).

Run time = 78 minutes total.

I realize this is a thread about "Just Planes"/"WAR" -- but I thought I'd offer up this info on an AirUtopia product.

I'd recommend it to Kai Tak fans (which *should* be everybody on A.Net.  Smile) ........

AndrewAir

RE: Just Planes / World Air Routes - Which Do You

Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:15 pm

I have 11 JP DVDs.

Air Seychells, 5 out of 5
A must have. Many rainy weather approaches.

United 4 out of 5
Very detailed flights.

Icelandair 4 out of 5
Good but I wish they had aircraft walkarounds.

Sobelair 5 out of 5
Great DVD. Detailed flights. I love the 767 part.

WEA 4 out 5
Also very good, love the 737NG.

London Heathrow 3.5 out of 5

FlyBe 4 out of 5
Many flights. The company presintation was vary well done.

Transavia Airliners 3 out of 5
The first two flights are well done but the rest of the flights mostly filmed the scenery.

Air Europe 3.5 out of 5
I love the 777 and 767 but this DVD was not as good as I thought it would be.

Swiss 5 out of 5
A well done DVD and a must have.

Hapag-Lloyd Express
I got it before it was released, but I have not watched it yet.

AMc

Ryanair737

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:53 am

Andrew, when you watch your Hapag-Lloyd Express DVD, please post on here what you thought of it. So I know whether to get it or not.

Thanks  Smile
Ryanair737

cs03

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:56 am

I have almost all of the JP DVDs with airlines, and just got the Swiss DVD and the South African DVD from 2001! Swiss is one of the best "productions" from JP, and it shows how they have increased the "product" quality by quite a bit!

Dr.DTW

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:28 am

I have been quite critical of the JP productions in this forum, and I won't repeat what I've in previous posts. I will say that the DVD's I've purchased are poor productions, with little or no attention given to camera work or video editing.

UA 777: Don't get me started. Very poor. Although, the ramp footage at ORD is great.

Air Luxor: One of the better ones. Nice variety, both with aircraft and airports.

Canadian North: Potentially could have been a great DVD, but unfortunately, you have an amateur and poorly skilled cameraman. Probably the only time you'll see an airliner approach onto a gravel runway, but unfortunately, the runway NEVER gets into his view finder. Instead, we have a nice view out of the side cockpit window of the passing grass and dirt as we're on final approach. I will say that I enjoyed viewing the small and remote airports in this video.

Air Europe 767/777: A 2 DVD set, but a total waste of money. Very boring. Again, poor camera work. You will never see the flight instruments during approach or departure, just the delightful scenery outside.

Qatar Airways: Have I mentioned poor camera work yet? A rare opportunity to view some middle eastern airports, such as Damascus, Khartoum, and Beirut. Could have been a good one with the right video editing. Can someone please tell the cameraman to film the runway during final approach?

Best regards.
Dr.DTW

jgore

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:31 am

ITVV Leisure 763 from LHR to Orlando is a priceless masterpiece of valued information provided by the captain.

Try to get this one , you won't regret it.

Jgore  Smile

Tommy Mogren

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:35 am

Dr.DTW:

I have read your comments and I feel it is about time I make a reply.

First, I'd like to point out that I am NOT the cameraman who filmed the Canadian North. I haven't seen it so I will not comment on it.

I DID film the Air Europe, and I find it very nice.
And If you care to view this page, you will find 20 or so customers who liked it SO much that they decided to write the producer about it and tell him.
http://www.worldairroutes.com/AirEurope.html

My suggestion is, that if you're not happy with how it is edited, filmed or performed at all, you contact the producer and tell him so.
It's the feedback from the customers that helps the producer make the program what they are.

Ok, let's move on.

Qatar Airways: Have I mentioned poor camera work yet?

No, you haven't. But more importantly you still haven't explained what you mean by poor camera work.
You only complain without explaining what you would have wanted differently.

A rare opportunity to view some middle eastern airports, such as Damascus, Khartoum, and Beirut.

Yes, indeed exiting places! And very nice views in the program!

Could have been a good one with the right video editing.

All editing is done by the Producer, Mr Michel Moskal.
In this case, what do you consider as "the right video editing" ?

Can someone please tell the cameraman to film the runway during final approach?

Well, Mr Dr.DTW. You are lucky. I AM that cameraman. And I DO film the runway on ALL final approaches.
On this Qatar Airways DVD, the following takeoffs and landings are featured, and like this:

1. DOH A330 Takeoff for LHR. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
2. LHR A330 Landing. COMPLETE landing with runway in sight.
3. LHR A330 TakeOff, COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
4. DOH A330 Landing. COMPLETE landing with runway in sight during sunrise.
5. DOH A320 Takeoff. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
6. DAM A320 Landing. COMPLETE landing filmed with Runway in sight during final approach.
7. DAM airport view as we taxy in with Syrianair 727's in view...
8. DAM A320 takeoff. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
9. DAM A320 Overview of airport as we climb out of DAM and fly downwind.
10. DOH A320 Landing. Complete landing with runway in sight.
11. DOH A320 TakeOff. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
12. KRT A320 Landing. Nice over the shoulder view of the captain as he flies the aircraft with the joystick.
A very popular view where you really can see the small movements necessary to adjust the course in a A320.
COMPLETE landing from 100ft on final apporach with runway in sight.
13. View of KRT as we taxy in wiht Sudan 737's and AN24's....rare stuff!
14. KRT A320 TakeOff. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
15. DOH A320 Landing. Captain explains the autoland procedure and the we experience a full autoland with
COMPLETE landing with runway in sight.
16. DOH A320 take Off COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
17 KWI A320 Landing. Beautiful view of Kuwait City as we approach the airport.
COMPLETE landing with view of runway as soon as it's visible in the haze.
18. KWI A320 Takeoff. COMPLETE takeoff roll filmed with runway in sight.
19, DOH A320 Landing. View of runway at 1000ft. Then a view of Captain disengaging the autopilot and flying manually with the stick. A short view of the city and at 400ft a COMPLETE landing with view of runway.
20. DOH A320 takeoff. This takeoff is filmed from the outside, after 8 takeoffs and landings I think the producer wanted to show a different view here.
21. BEY A320 Landing. View of city as we fly by during approach. Nice view of the shoreline and city.
View of runway ahead of us as we approach. A short view of city again so show how low we are.
Full frontal view of runway again at 400ft and the COMPLETE Landing with runway in sight....

After watching this COMPLETE DVD, I can NOT find ANY Landing that we DON'T FILM THE RUNWAY DURING FINAL APPROACH.
SO, PLEASE Mr Dr.DTW.....Since you obviously are very experienced in filming landings...
Can you tell me what to do differently ???????

Sincerely,

Tommy Mogren
Aviation Photographer
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

Ryanair737

Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:10 am

Tommy, I have seen the Qatar Airways DVD and I have to say that it was all excellent.  Big thumbs up

Views were great from the flight deck and the cabin as well. The introduction to the DVD was done very well, and the galley presentation on the flight to LHR was great!

One of the best I have seen from World Air Routes!

Ryanair737

Tommy Mogren

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:59 pm

Ryanair737:

Thank you very much for the kind words.
I'm glad you liked it. It was a very nice company to work with, and I believe it shows.

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:29 pm

Dear Tommy!

I also have to say I like most of your videos! As far as I know there is no camera out which can film the inside and the outside at the same time, like we can do with our eye... so the cameraman has to decide wether to film the surroundings or the instruments...

I think in most of the cases it is done very well and i hope to see more DVDs in this quality...

---It was a very nice company to work with, and I believe it shows.
You are not working for them anymore???

regards, Florian

LAX

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:54 pm

>> "You are not working for them anymore???"

I believe Tommy was referring to working with the airline (Qatar); not JPV.

Am I correct Tommy? Sorry if I'm not...because that would indicate you do *not* film any WARs any longer; and I, too, have enjoyed all the cockpit programs I have seen from Just Planes Videos, Inc., of Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.  Smile

Some of my favorites (although I still have dozens I haven't gotten around to watching all the way through as yet) ......

VG Airlines (Airbus A330).
United (Boeing 777).
Air Alps! (Dornier 328).
Air France (Airbus A330).
Cougar (Boeing 727).
PrivatAir (A319LR / BBJ).
KLM CityHopper (Fokkers).

I'm looking forward to the 6-hour Kai Tak Airport 2-discer as well. That mega-volume should probably be subtitled: "I Died And Went To Kai Tak Heaven!"  Smile  Smile

[Edited 2004-03-04 12:57:54]

Tommy Mogren

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:33 pm

"You are not working for them anymore???"

I believe Tommy was referring to working with the airline (Qatar); not JPV.

Am I correct Tommy?

Oh, yes. You are correct. I was referring to working with Qatar Airways.
They were very nice to work with.
JPV is still one of my clients and we have a good relationship so I believe we will continue to work together for a long time forward.

LAX: I haven't filmed any of the DVD's you list unfortunately. But I'm happy to hear you like them.

I did film a part of the HKG DVD that's coming. I filmed the VHS "The Final Day". What a memorable day! It will be great to see it featured on the coming Kai Tak DVD. Oh, I miss that place....

Tommy Mogren

Dr.DTW

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:18 am

Tommy:

I appreciate your feedback. Although I still stand by my original opinions on the videos, it's nice to get your input. I hope you didn't take any offense to my opinions. Just consider it constructive criticism.

My criticisms of the videos were not entirely directed at the person holding the camera. I know that holding a video camera, while strapped into a jump seat on a aircraft that's on a departure roll is no easy task. I used to film takeoffs and landings from my seat in coach, so I know how difficult it can be.
Your job is not an easy one, and I can appreciate that.

I admit it, I tend to be overly critical of certain things, and aviation videos are definitely one of them.

Although I'm critical of their product, I will definitely still purchase the JP videos, b/c it is a unique product which serves my interests in both geography and aviation. Hopefully, they will get better.

Regards,
Dr.DTW

Tommy Mogren

Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:55 pm

Dr.DTW wrote

I hope you didn't take any offense to my opinions. Just consider it constructive criticism.

Well, Dr.DTW,

How on earth can I take it as constructive criticism ?
I welcome constructive criticism, but your post was not constructive in any way.

Constructive criticism is when you say that you don't like something and give suggestions on how to improve it.
For example, I don't like the way this and that is filmed, I would have preferred it like this or that. etc...

Comments like poor camera work. and Have I mentioned poor camera work yet? is NOT constructive at all.

Dr.DTW also wrote:
My criticisms of the videos were not entirely directed at the person holding the camera.

No, but the above statements were indeed.

I hope you didn't take any offense to my opinions
No, I'm not that easily offended, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I'm still waiting for your comments to my previous post.

Hopefully, they will get better.

They can only get "better" if you and other customers explain what they want differently. And, especially if you give that information to the producer of the DVD's.

So, Dr.DTW (by the way, why don't you have the courage to use your real name in your profile ?)
Please post again, and I'm looking forward to reading your comments.

Sincerely,
Tommy Mogren

Dr.DTW

Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:30 am

My constructive criticism:

Again, these are just my opinions. I don't do your job, and I'm not familiar with the difficulties you encounter. These are just suggestions, which may or may not be possible.

Filming departure rolls:
1. Do not use the zoom while the aircraft is rolling. I would prefer to see a wide angle shot of the flight deck during the departure roll. Using a zoomed in view obscures all instrumentation from view, and doesn't allow visualization of cockpit activities; i.e., throttle advancement, control column manipulations, and other actions taken by the crew.
2. Avoid filming out the side cockpit window. The great thing about cockpit videos is the ability to have the pilot's perspective. The scenery is great to see, but it is more entertaining when filmed from the crews perspective.
3. This is more of an editing criticism: I would prefer that the takeoff segments include footage of the aircraft taking position on the runway. Several of the takeoff segments on the JP videos start as the aircraft is already positioned on the runway, with the engines spooling up. It's nice to see the 30-60 seconds prior to the departure roll.
4. Avoid sudden changes in camera position during the departure roll; Example: suddenly changing from a front to side view. A side view; however, is nice after rotation.

Landing and final approach:
1. Again, try and keep the filming from the crews perspective, and avoid side shots. When the runway becomes in view, it's nice to keep it in site and enjoy the entire approach from the crews point of view. Many instances on the JP videos, side views are used during the majority of final approach, and the runway is brought into view only on short final. On some segments on the Canadian North DVD, the runway is not filmed at all.
2. As stated above, avoid zooming in on the runway. This distorts what is actually seen from the cockpit.
3. Film significant cockpit activities, and focus less on outside scenery. Examples, extension of the flap and speed brake levers, lowering the landing gear, etc.
4. Avoid drastic camera movments during critical phases of the approach. In several instances, the aircraft will be at <1000 ft or on short final, and the camera will suddenly move off of the runway, and begin filming from another perspecti

Tommy wrote: "by the way, why don't you have the courage to use your real name in your profile?"
- Because I like my privacy protected, and there is no need or reason for me to disclose that information here.

Best regards,
Dr. DTW

Tommy Mogren

Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:22 am

Dr.DTW,

Finally, some useful information and constructive criticism. Thank you.
This, I appreciate.

Now, let me just explain why I film the way I do. Because there is a reason for it.

Filming departure rolls:
1. Do not use the zoom while the aircraft is rolling. I would prefer to see a wide angle shot of the flight deck during the departure roll. Using a zoomed in view obscures all instrumentation from view, and doesn't allow visualization of cockpit activities; i.e., throttle advancement, control column manipulations, and other actions taken by the crew.

Unlike the human eye, a film camera can NOT show the bright outside light and the dimmed cockpit light correctly at the same time.
Either t shows a correct exposed outside, or a correct exposed cockpit.
This is why I select oe of them. For takeoffs I choose to show the runway ahead, as this is what most viewers have indicated as the main interest on takeoff.
However, on dusk/dawn and night flights this isn't an issue and i always zoom off completely, and even use a special wideangle lens to capture all movements and activities in the cockpit and surroundings. I wish all flights were filmed during these hours of the day, because it's beautiful and it looks good on video.
This isn't possible as you understand and we have to do the best of the situation. This is what I have done by selecting one of the 2 possible solutions. When I started filming this series, I did what you say. I zoomedoff completely and showed as much as possible, only to be confronted with complaints because you can't see the cockpit for example during daylight (When exposed for outside light) and vise versa.
So, until cameras are as good as the human eye, this is the best you can do.

2. Avoid filming out the side cockpit window. The great thing about cockpit videos is the ability to have the pilot's perspective. The scenery is great to see, but it is more entertaining when filmed from the crews perspective.

I never film out the side window during takeoff, except after rotation when we have a positive rate of climb and nothing can be seen in the front windows. I then always switch to show the pilot in command's actions mixed with a view outside the side window. This is because most of the customers buying these DVD's are interested in the scenery around the airports during takeoff and landing.
If we were to film only inside the cockpit, then we could just as well film it in a simulator. You would never see the difference.
This is real flights in real situations. A reference is always good to have, so you can get a bit of the experience in the comfort of your home. So you can see how high we are, how high the mountains are around us on takeoff etc...

3. This is more of an editing criticism: I would prefer that the takeoff segments include footage of the aircraft taking position on the runway. Several of the takeoff segments on the JP videos start as the aircraft is already positioned on the runway, with the engines spooling up. It's nice to see the 30-60 seconds prior to the departure roll.

I agree with you on this point actually. But I understand why the producer has decided to do it his way. With more that 10 takeoffs on a DVD it would be a lot of watching slow taxiing to the runway. I believe there's always one or two takeoffs with a lot more time before takeoff roll, but like you say, many are cut short to make the DVD more interesting with less waiting.

4. Avoid sudden changes in camera position during the departure roll; Example: suddenly changing from a front to side view. A side view; however, is nice after rotation.

Like I said above, I NEVER film out the side window during takeoff roll.
So, this must have been on a DVD somebody else has filmed.
All my takeoff rolls are filmed with the camera fixed on the runway until rotation.

Landing and final approach:
1. Again, try and keep the filming from the crews perspective, and avoid side shots. When the runway becomes in view, it's nice to keep it in site and enjoy the entire approach from the crews point of view. Many instances on the JP videos, side views are used during the majority of final approach, and the runway is brought into view only on short final. On some segments on the Canadian North DVD, the runway is not filmed at all.

Again, when we started to film this series, over 130 airlines ago.....
We filmed the complete approach with runway in sight ahead.
Let me tell you how boring that is! We don't want our viewers to fall asleep while wathing these DVD's.
So, what I do is to film the runway/airport as soon as it's in sight. Then film the pilot in command's actions, instruments, flap setting etc so you, the viewer, knows in what stage of the approach we are in.
Again it's interesting to see the scenery, how high the mountains really are around this airport etc..
I always show the runway ahead of us now and then to keep the viewer updated on our approach.
The segments on Canadian North, I will not comment on. I didn't film this one,and I haven't seen it.

2. As stated above, avoid zooming in on the runway. This distorts what is actually seen from the cockpit.

Again, like I stated above, is unfortunately necessary unless filming is done during dusk/dawn etc...

3. Film significant cockpit activities, and focus less on outside scenery. Examples, extension of the flap and speed brake levers, lowering the landing gear, etc.

Just a few lines above you wanted me to film the runway for the whole approach ? Because it's not possible to get perfect exposure on both inside and outside on the same time, I have to choose.
That's why I film according to my explanation in number 1 (landing)

4. Avoid drastic camera movments during critical phases of the approach. In several instances, the aircraft will be at <1000 ft or on short final, and the camera will suddenly move off of the runway, and begin filming from another perspecti

I only film out the side windows if there is something of interest to see.
If there's only haze or clouds, I always focus on the pilot in command's actions and the instruments. But if we pass a beautiful view of the city or the shoreline, then I naturally film that. That is what this series is all about.
Read the following line, taken from the producer, on the website http://www.worldairroutes.com/about.html

World Air Routes is a very unique series of programs that combine Airlines, Aviation and Travel.

It is not a flight instruction course. Scenery is a big part of the series.
If you don't like that, I suggest you stop buying them.
It's as simple as that.

There are 14 customers who loved this particular DVD (Qatar Airways)
so much that they decided to email the producer about it.
Read their comments here http://www.worldairroutes.com/Qatar.html

Let me share some of them with you, as we're now talking scenery....

"I join the other reviewers in celebrating the spectacular shots of the descent to Heathrow."

" then the final approach into Heathrow with spectacular views of central London at night"

"I loved the approach into London provided a great view of the London bridge and city centre."

"Excellent scenery veiws, "

"The flights in the Middle East were also great thanks to the scenery and the beautiful light"

"The views from the cockpit and cabin of the scenery outside was awesome"

These are only some of the comments made on this particular DVD.

Tommy wrote: "by the way, why don't you have the courage to use your real name in your profile?"
- Because I like my privacy protected, and there is no need or reason for me to disclose that information here.

It's always easy to citizise and make comments when you don't have to stand up for your views and opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, but be a man about it and don't hide behind anonymous nicknames.

Dr.DTW, I hope I have shedsome light on why I film like I do, and that you have understood some of the difficulties of filming airliners in regular operations. There is no "take 2" here...We get one chance and that's it.
Under the circumstances, I think we do a hell of a job!

Best Regards,

Tommy Mogren
Aviation Photographer

LAX

Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:39 am

Wow! What a fantastic post, Tommy Mogren!
Thank you for your expert cameraman comments! I applaud you .... loudly!!  Smile

>> "It is not a flight instruction course. Scenery is a big part of the series.
If you don't like that, I suggest you stop buying them.
It's as simple as that."

Excellent, excellent comment!! I couldn't agree more!!
I love the scenery on the WAR series of videos/DVDs JUST AS MUCH (more in many cases) as seeing the cockpit technical activities!

I cannot imagine, in fact, even being the slightest bit interested in collecting every single one of these World Air Routes programs IF they were ALL exactly like the ITVV series of videos, in which ONLY cockpit procedures are shown (via multiple cameras) for up to 2.5 hours. (Save a teeny-weeny bit of outside-the-cockpit footage at the beginning and end of each program.)

If Mr. Moskal and Company had 150 programs with virtually NO scenery shown (and virtually NO cabin footage shown) on any of them, I probably would have bought about 5 or 6 of the videos and that's it. They'd ALL be pretty much identical and very sterile, IMO. (Except, of course, to the hard-core pilot-in-training, who only thirst for cockpit footage...and need to see every single switch, dial, and gauge on the flight deck.)

But, obviously (based on the good sales of the WAR DVDs & Videos), *most* people want a combination of both flight-deck stuff and outside scenery. I certainly do.

On the subject of filming ONLY the runway on takeoff rolls ..... I want to thank Tommy M. again for his detailed explanation of why this has to be done a certain way. And it makes sense...the exposures are different from the varying light levels. I *will* say that I, too, would enjoy (where possible) seeing more "wide" shots on takeoff....and especially on landing sequences. That is, filming the runway AND being able to see the pilot's hands on the yoke at the same time. There *are* some programs that do show this fascinating type of "runway AND pilot" footage on landing...and it's great. It's amazing how much turning of the wheel is done by the PF while approaching the runway on landings. There must be a ton of "play" on those yokes! However, as stated before, I certainly understand WHY such "dual" inside/outside footage cannot be attained in most cases. (Unless the light is JUST SO, it's either gonna look dark inside or outside; except, as Tommy said, at nighttime.)

If I may add another suggestion (that I KNOW most people here will hate) ... But I, personally, would *love* to see WAY more flights filmed from the CABIN perspective. Watching a takeoff roll or landing from a cabin window is truly fantastic, IMO. That sense of PURE SPEED of roaring down the runway just CANNOT be obtained by filming straight ahead out the cockpit window. And I like to sense that speed of approaching V1 and Vr on takeoff footage from the cabin.

I recently watched the Helios Airways program...and it's superb, IMO! There's a sensational bit of footage in the cabin of a London Luton-to-Larnaca flight on the B738...which contains a full 5 minutes of continuous footage (totally uncut and unbroken) starting with the takeoff roll and continuing through the climbout and extremely
w-i-d-e left-hand turn that seems to last forever. It feels like you're really on board that Boeing 738! I commend Michel M. for a terrific job of editing that scene...or should I really say -- NOT editing it actually, and just letting the camera run for a full 5+ minutes during that t-off scene!

I'd LOVE more continuous, unbroken scenes like that. I replayed that segment three times! Just fabulous! And, for me, it just would not have been the same (or as good) if this uncut, five-minute t/o sequence were done from the normal cockpit angle.

If I may be so bold as to continue with the suggestions for just another half-a-minute (thank you  Smile) ..... Another thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of during the various WAR programs -- More footage of the INSIDE of the various and plentiful airports we visit during this great WAR series! We rarely get even a glimpse of the different airport terminals, baggage areas, fancy schmancy waiting areas (with cool-looking airport architecture, like many airport possess  Smile), etc., which I feel *would* make the individual programs a bit more entertaining.

(However, I will say that SOME of the videos DO show a little bit of some of the aerodromes we visit...but the footage is quite brief in most cases.)

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thoughts on these WAR matters....since the thread seems to have gone in that general direction.  Smile

In any event...whatever Mr. Moskal decides to produce now and in the future, I will ALWAYS be an ardent and firm supporter of his aviation video products! JPV is by far the BEST company in existence that is currently doing the very difficult job of making quality aviation videos (and now DVDs) showing ACTUAL revenue, commercial airline flights. And TONS of them, to boot! And during a post-9/11 climate which cannot exactly be an easy thing to accomplish, what with the extra security measures that are no doubt in place during these tension-filled days where it's not uncommon for a passenger to have to practically strip down to his shorts and take off his shoes in order to simply fly from Dayton to Cincinnati!!  Smile

To tell the truth, I'm absolutely amazed, really, that JPV can *still* film in the cockpits of ANY airline in today's post-9/11 aviation climate! (Even non-U.S. carriers.) It's really an incredible tribute to Mr. Moskal's reputation in this industry that any DVDs are being produced at all nowadays.

If it's not confidential info, I'd really enjoy hearing from Tommy Mogren on just how the security surrounding the filming of these cockpit programs has affected him, and cameramen in the cockpit in general. Surely, the security measures are FAR more stringent since 9/11, correct? It's remarkable that the FAA even allows ANY non-airline personnel in the "front office" after the 9/11 attacks. (But I'm glad they still do.  Smile)

Each and every JPV program is a winner in this writer's book!

Thank You.  Smile

[Edited 2004-03-06 00:55:39]

Ryanair737

Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Excellent post Tommy!  Smile

Lax is very right about the ITVV videos. I have got 2, but I wouldn't buy anymore because like Lax said they soon get very boring and repetitive. I would rather see lots more take-off's and landings, with a 10 minute cockpit presentation and cabin flights. Thats WAR DVD's are by far the best in my opinion!

I also agree that the cabin flights actually make you feel that your on-board the flight. The cabin flight on-board the Nationwide 732 which I have is fantastic! I always watch that segment. It would be also good to give a small look into some airports that you cover in your DVD's, like Lax said.

Keep up the good work!  Smile

Ryanair737

Dr.DTW

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:12 am

Tommy wrote:
"It's always easy to citizise and make comments when you don't have to stand up for your views and opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, but be a man about it and don't hide behind anonymous nicknames."

Tommy: This is second time you made reference to me not using my real name. Just because I made criticisms of your work, doesn't mean I have to disclose my personal information to you. I gave my reasons before, and I thought that would be the end of it. Obviously it's an issue you care to pursue, but I won't. This is an online forum, and there is no need for you, or anyone else here, to know my real name. End of discussion.

FYI: A large percentage of users on A.net chose to withhold personal information. Look at the responders to this thread, and you will see that over half have made this choice.

Tommy Mogren

Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:57 am

Dr.DTW.....

As you wish. It's your right.
My opinion about it remains unchanged.

I hope my explanations about the filming gave you some background info on why it looks like it does. Let me know if you have any ideas for better DVD's in the future. I always like to improve myself and my photography.

All the best,

Tommy Mogren

Tommy Mogren

Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:12 am

LAX:

We always try to feature at least one flight in the cabin. I will try to make it
better everytime, suggestions are always welcome!

If I may be so bold as to continue with the suggestions for just another half-a-minute (thank you ) ..... Another thing I wouldn't mind seeing more of during the various WAR programs -- More footage of the INSIDE of the various and plentiful airports we visit during this great WAR series! We rarely get even a glimpse of the different airport terminals, baggage areas, fancy schmancy waiting areas (with cool-looking airport architecture, like many airport possess ), etc., which I feel *would* make the individual programs a bit more entertaining.

Oh, yes, fire away! Ideas are welcome.
I agree it would be nice to see some more of the airline's home airport.
The destinations are difficult as we only stop for about an hour, depending on the turnaround. But I'll try to get some more Airport footage on my next assignment.

If it's not confidential info, I'd really enjoy hearing from Tommy Mogren on just how the security surrounding the filming of these cockpit programs has affected him, and cameramen in the cockpit in general. Surely, the security measures are FAR more stringent since 9/11, correct?

Security is an issue since 9/11. Very much so.
It was hard to film this series before 9/11, and it hasn't become easier since...
All airlines have tougher security measures today, and we have to live with that. It makes our filming tougher, and we have to do things a bit differently these days, but most airlines are great to work with.

Ryanair737:_
I also agree that the cabin flights actually make you feel that your on-board the flight. The cabin flight on-board the Nationwide 732 which I have is fantastic! I always watch that segment.

Glad you like 'em too. Like I said above I will do more of them and try harder in the future to give you what you want.
I'm especially happy to hear you like the Nationwide DVD, as I'm the one who filmed it.  Smile

Thanks for your input LAX and Ryanair737!
Always a pleasure to hear commenats about the DVD's and input / suggestions on improvements.
Some aren't possible due to security or camera equipment, some are possible and will be implemented as soon as I getthe chance,
Take Care.

Best Regards,

Tommy Mogren

Jj

Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:05 pm

Well, given that you are replying I might as well add my two cents! First Tommy, let me tell you (or as you may have read in my previous post) that the nationwide DVD is a masterpiece. I actually liked the footage of the landings, and the flight in the cabin is a winner.

Now let me tell you some things that I would like to see in the future. Perhaps the flight attendants could make some sort of "galley presentations" like the fa did with the 1-11 in the Nationwide video. It may sound silly in small aircraft, but in big ones, like the L-1011 for example, where there is a galley under the main cabin, it would be nice to see it, and see how the elevator works, etc.

And the other thing you might want to do, is make the cockpit presentations a little more thorough. I mean, some are ok, but for example, in the greenlandair video (don't know if you did this one) the presentation takes less than two minutes! And in the Nationwide 737, somehow the captain forgot to present the upper part of the cockpit (The place with the lights switches and hidraulics, etc.).

And one last thing: Please, please, make a video featuring an airline from Argentina! I can't wait for that.

keep up the good work!

Josue

LAX

Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:42 pm

Thanks Tommy for your last reply.  Smile

I don't think I've gotten around to watching the Nationwide DVD as yet. But, given the raves here, I'm gonna pop that one in pretty soon.  Smile

BTW Tommy...Do you ever do any of the filming in the "Airport" DVD series? Or do you ONLY do the WAR series?

Because I have a suggestion for the Airport side of things. (Although, as of the last year, production of the Airport titles has virtually ground to a halt. But I believe Michel told me that some are still being filmed.)

[Edited 2004-03-07 09:44:15]

Jan Mogren

Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:50 pm

>BTW Tommy...Do you ever do any of the filming in the "Airport" DVD series?<

LAX,
are you cruising for a Hawaii 5-0 ?  Wink/being sarcastic

I may have something in the pipeline for you, we'll see..

Cheers
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

A3204eva

Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:45 pm

I have the Germanwings DVD.
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

Tommy Mogren

Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:11 am

Josue:

Thank you.
I often try to do galleypresentations, but the cabinstaff is often under a lot of time pressure and we usually end up dropping that part.
I'll see what I can do!

About the cockpit presentations, as you have noticed they depend on the captain/pilot doing tthe presentation.
Some of them are very relaxed in front of the camera and we get good results, some are very uncomfortable with the camera and about speaking in English. This is a problem, but we are always trying our best to find a suitabel pilot to do the presentations.
(I did not film the Greenlandair...)

LAX:
BTW Tommy...Do you ever do any of the filming in the "Airport" DVD series? Or do you ONLY do the WAR series?

Yes, I have filmed many, many of the International Airport VHS/DVD's.
Nowadays it's mostly the World Air Routes series, but I really enjoy doing Airports too.
I filmed "Kai Tak - The Final Day" which soon will be featured on the Kai Tak DVD compilation for example.

Cheers!

Tommy Mogren

LAX

Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:08 am

>> "LAX, are you cruising for a Hawaii 5-0 ?"

Yes, Jan, how did you know what I was going to suggest?  Smile

By Hawaii 5-0, we refer to the famous opening shot of that 70s TV show, where the camera does a 180-degree turn in order to follow a DC-8 flying directly overhead. This has always been a pet-peeve of mine while watching EVERY company's "Airport" videos. It seems that at the exact point of "concussion" during a great landing or takeoff shot, the shot is cut off prematurely (and thusly the loud roar of the engines is also ceased on the video at the exact point where it's the best--or loudest--just as it's passing over the camera/microphone).

This is very annoying time after time, IMO.

Occasionally, if the "overhead" being filmed is not quite DIRECTLY overhead, and the camera can follow the aircraft more easily (without having to resort to a full 180-degree shift), then the shot might not be cut off at the maximum point of concussion.

But, IMO, I never wish to see a shot cut off prematurely like that. That is, the camera should run AT LEAST until past the point where the plane has passed the camera....even if that means just filming empty sky for 5 seconds until the concussion of the jet sound passes. To me, the empty sky WITH the full jet sound is much preferred over the sudden, abrupt cut-off in both audio & video which is prevalent on almost every Airport video.

And it's not just JPV. Harry's, Flying Pig, Avion, Highball, and IAPV all do these abrupt cut-offs as well. Annoying as hell, IMO.

I'm not saying, however, that ALL close-up scenes of airliners in flight are "cut off too soon"....but it does happen quite a lot.

Is it just a case of NOT being able to rotate the heavy (??) camera around to capture the "full overhead"? Most "direct overheads", I've found, are actually composed (most of the time) of TWO pieces of film/tape, which ruins the "effect" of the huge jet blast of the plane roaring directly overhead. Which is why, as I said, I feel it'd be better to just see blue sky and HEAR the plane, rather than cut it off early.

I'd be interested in knowing just how difficult it is to film a "direct overhead" shot of an airplane in flight.

Just another 2-Cents' worth from an aviation video fan.  Smile  Smile

BTW -- Just as a point of information, the JPV Intl. Airport VHS video of Faro is, I believe, one of the best Airport volumes in the series (even though it's one of the shorter volumes, running 90 minutes). But that one DOES contain some great (and complete) overhead shots. And several are darn-near "direct" overheads too. Great program! Plus -- the LAX and Heathrow/MAN DVD volumes are excellent as well. Lots of LOUD window-rattling action on those too!  Smile  Smile

Thanks.

David

[Edited 2004-03-08 01:39:51]

LAX

Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:24 am

>> "Yes, I have filmed many, many of the International Airport VHS/DVD's.
Nowadays it's mostly the World Air Routes series, but I really enjoy doing Airports too. ... I filmed "Kai Tak - The Final Day" which soon will be featured on the Kai Tak DVD compilation for example."

Thanks.
I love the "Final Day" Kai Tak program...and definitely am looking forward to seeing it on the DVD format as well. (Along with the other FIVE full hours of the greatest International Airport ever for spotters...and for videos!)  Smile

Jan Mogren

Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:37 pm

Lax,
with a handheld camera it's not a problem to shoot like that.
Different story if tripod mounted.

Cheers
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

777guy

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:05 am

I am in agreement with a lot of people here in that I like at least one cabin flight when possible. My personal favorite for cabin filming was the one done on the Air Saychelles video. The night takeoff from LGW was fantastic from the cabin window and the approach to the home airport breaking out of the clouds and the engine sounds from the cabin were superb.
Personally I can do without long cockpit presentations especially when the pilot's English is hard to understand.
The F/As cabin presentations are nice with the exception of the one that was done on the United 777 DVD.
Is it just my opinion or has the audio in cockpit improved lately? On a lot of my earlier tapes the pilots are barely audible over back ground ATC transmissions. I have noticed more clarity lately.
Overall I feel that the good people of JPVideo do a pretty good job. Thanks for your efforts.

Tommy Mogren

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:43 pm

LAX (David)

I normally do Overhead footage. At least whenever I can.
Like Jan says, when we're using a tripod it's hard to get total overhead shots. If we settle for a close-to-overhead shot, then it's possible.

When shotting handheld it's much easier. Problem is stability.
I use tripod as much as possible to get stable footage.

One thing though.....I know many shots that I have done just like you say, a total overhead, only to see it chopped up by the producer at the editing board. So, it's not only up to us.
I know for example some approaches I filmed at Itami (ITM) in Kansai, Japan. Lovely airport with great overhead approaches if you're standing by the end of the runway. I haven't watched this video in over 2 years so I can't remember exactly, but this is onecase where not all overhead shots ended up on the tape.....

..just a little info...

777guy:
Is it just my opinion or has the audio in cockpit improved lately?

We always work on improving our filming, and this is one of the areas we have been able to improve. New microphones, experience and testing gives us better audio today. We still need to improve on some aircraft types though...

Tommy Mogren

Sunwing

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:26 am

I have 20 video tapes and 17 DVD's of the World Air Routes series and I must say that most of the tapes/DVD's are great. I'm a big fan of the WAR-series. About a few videos I'm a bit disappointed, like the Air Georgia Tu154 video - I was really happy to see a video of my favorite plane but the quality was bad. I also don't like the SATA A310/B737 video - the A310 part is ok but you don't see a lot of the 737 cockpit, only outside scenerie. The KLM exel and Crossair were great.
The DVD's are much better. I love the flights in the cabin, my favorite is the takeoff of the Virgin Blue 737 from Launceston, looks very good and I love the B737NG sound. I hope to see a lot more of these passenger views on future DVD's !!
My favorite DVD's are FlyBe (I don't know why - it's just great, I can watch it over and over again), United and KLM cityhopper.
I have to agree that it would be nice to see a lot more of the cockpit on take-off and landing - I'm always a bit disappointed about that, but I can also understand that it is not possible to film the inside and outside. And I would also like to see a bit more pushback's, taxiing at the airports or lining-up on the runway, I think that is also a part of the flight.
What I would like to see is more DVD's of Russian airlines like Siberia, Pulkovo or Vladivostok Avia and airplanes like Tupolev 154, Tupolev 204, Ilyushin 96 etc. Maybe a DVD about MIAT Mongolian Airlines with the A310, B737-800 and An24's ?
I have a question for Tommy Mogren: I was just wondering, who selects the airlines and types, how long does it take to film a DVD and how long does it take to release a DVD when you finished filming ?
I would like to thank Tommy Mogren for his replies on this forum, it makes things clear for me now.

Martin

Tommy Mogren

Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:40 am

Martin:

What I would like to see is more DVD's of Russian airlines
You're lucky! We have something coming up for you....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Keep your eyes open....

I have a question for Tommy Mogren:
I was just wondering, who selects the airlines and types,

This is normally done by the producer.

how long does it take to film a DVD

This is very different from airline to airline, from photographer to photographer.
Personally I normally use a week per airline. But, it all depends on the airline's schedule, interest and planning.
4 months ago I filmed in the caribbean, and I flew 52 flights in 9 days....So we really try to be efficient...

and how long does it take to release a DVD when you finished filming ?

Now, wait a minute.....1...2.... that's 3 questions, not one!
 Big grin

Nah, ok then. Again this depends on the producer. He's the one
that Edits and produces these DVD's. To give you a quick answer, I'd say a couple of months. All depending on the producer's workload.

My favorite DVD's are FlyBe (I don't know why - it's just great, I can watch it over and over again),

:D Glad you like it!  Smokin cool

About a few videos I'm a bit disappointed, like the Air Georgia Tu154 video

I'm glad I didn't shoot this one!
In defence of the photographer shooting this one, I must say that shooting in russian airliners it's more than difficult!!
It's a pain in the **** to be honest.
It's great fun, but difficult.
I filmed one for example. And if you have ever been inside a YAK40, then you know how small those cockpits are...
When I filmed them, they had:
1 Captain in the left seat.
1 F/O in the right seat
1 F/E in the jumpseat to handle the throttle and engines
1 Communicator(?) standing behind the F/E talking in the radio (English ATC)
And finally ME, standing in between the sitting F/E and the standing communications guy. Well, imagine the stability and positions I have to assume to be able to film anything....
Thank god these flights were only 1 hour up to 1,5 hours....
Geez.....

I would like to thank Tommy Mogren for his replies on this forum, it makes things clear for me now.

You're welcome. It's interesting for me to hear your reactions, your opinions and your likes and dislikes.

Tommy Mogren

LAX

Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:37 am

Tommy:
"I normally do Overhead footage. At least whenever I can.
Like Jan says, when we're using a tripod it's hard to get total overhead shots."

Yes, I can certainly understand that.
But, even when doing an "overhead" from a tripod, I'd still rather get the WHOLE audio portion of the jet blast going over....rather than the severely abrupt cut-off of the audio (and video) that many times (actually most times) accompanies these great overhead shots.

Surely there's not a single person in this room/forum who would PREFER to hear only half of an overhead shot. Nothing is worse, IMO, on Airport programs than having a nice shot cut off right smack in the middle...esp. on the audio portion. Just let the damn camera run, even when the jet passes by.

I'd rather have nothing than a chopped-up overhead like I'm talking about. Maybe it's just me though....since almost every company has this horrid habit of cutting the sound too soon.

"I know many shots that I have done just like you say, a total overhead, only to see it chopped up by the producer at the editing board. So, it's not only up to us."

OK. Didn't realize this. I figured all those shots were always TWO pieces of tape/film. Can't imagine anybody deliberately wanting to edit a shot like that right SMACK in the place where it's the loudest...and best.

Ryanair737

Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:09 am

Great thread! I can't wait to see what airlines will be featured next. I'm getting the HLX DVD on Sunday, so I'll tell you all what I thought of it.  Smile

Ryanair737

jhooper

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:20 am

United 777 from ORD-LHR
Dynasty 747 ANC-MIA-ORD-DFW-ATL
Fokker 27 over Las Vegas and Grand Canyon
FCA Cessna 402 at the Florida Keys
Yes L1011
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

yultopei

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:41 am

Do you know where i can find some demo or small preview of world air route?

I will like to see some example before buying!!!

Thank's
PEI in Colombia!!!. [Canon T2i]

Ryanair737

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:20 am

YULtoPEI,

I can't find any previews from searching Google, I think the photos on the http://www.worldairroutes.com/ site are good enough to judge whether to buy the DVD or not.

Ryanair737  Smile

Jj

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:26 am

Sometimes you can see part of their programs at http://www.airsidetv.com . You should go there once in a while... I saw part of the Braathens 737 video there.