N612UA
Topic Author

What Is A Good Cheap Scanner To Listen To Atc

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:34 pm

I just wanted to know what is a good cheap scanner to listen to the atc and airplanes at the airport while spotting planes.

Mike

trekster

RE: What Is A Good Cheap Scanner To Listen To Atc

Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:13 am

i got one from my local shop for £20, is very good, but i do need to be nearer a major airport, though i can pick up london freq sometimes
Where does the time go???

geedo

Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:29 pm

Hey Mike, the best thing to do is go to your local Radio Shack and just check out their line of hand held scanners. Let them know you want the basic model, with a minimum number of programmable channels. They have models that allow you to store hundreds and hundreds of frequencies, when all you need is a handful or two. They will no doubt want to sell you a model that allows you to pick up "trunking" network frequencies, but unless you are wanting to get the cops and fire department too, you won't need to spend any extra money. I don't have a specific model to recommend, just would again emphasize that you need to let the sales people know you need a bare minimum number of channels. You will really enjoy adding this element to your plane spotting. Chuck
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:13 am

"MR-318A

I have this scanner, or should I say AM/FM/Air band receiver. It costs something less than $40. I bought it in http://www.mypilotstore.com
(or to see the product directly http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1322)

Yes, it's made in China (but then again, what isn't? ), runs on 2 AA batteries, and has a 3V DC and earphone jack. It doesn't have squelch, but, so what? It's the best priced radio I've seen out there and I've had it for one year, and it works beautifully!!! If you are going to use it in your home, I highly recommend getting a universal DC adapter for this radio, save your batteries for when your hidden near a runway threshold spying on the ATC."

I've copied and pasted that a dozen times from my older posts Big grin

InnocuousFox

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:46 am

I grabbed a Radio Shack Pro-79 from Ebay last summer. People are dumping them because their local police/fire is going to a trunked system. It's great for what we need it for, however.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

CVGpilot

Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:56 am

Sportys pilot shop, the SP200. www.sportys.com

ANA777Master

Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:31 am

Can you listen to tower-to-plane chatter from 20 miles away? I live in Washington DC and would like to listen to Dulles' air chatter. Anyone know if a regular scanner will do?

InnocuousFox

Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:52 am

It's all "line of sight". I can hear aircraft at FL370 when they are a hundred miles away. I can't hear aircraft on the ground when they are 5 miles away.

I can hear the tower at OMA just fine when I'm on the ground at the airport but I can't hear the Omaha TRACON because their antennas are a few miles farther south.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

ANA777Master

Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:49 am

My suspicions were correct. Thank you, innocuousfox.