concord977

Worst Travel Agency Models Or Manufacturer?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Have any of you model collectors had bad experiences with model quality (especially accuracy) from a particular manufacturer?

I'm not so much interested in ordering problems, or delays in receiving your orders. I'm more interested in the actual model's quality.

I have had 3 bad experiences which I will share when I get a little more feedback from you.

Curt / concord977
Washington, DC

No info

dc863

RE: Worst Travel Agency Models Or Manufacturer?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:10 pm

Bader and Aeroplast of Milan. Bader is by far the worst when it comes to accuracy which for me is paramount when buying a model, I know that they are hand carved but they are still a joke. Aeroplast has a good 1/50 727 mould but it's DC-9s and Airbus aircraft need work.

concord977

Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:35 am

I have had three bad experiences with models made in the Philippines. One company is "emodelairplanes.com". They are selling 1/100th scale models of the Boeing 2707 SST in various liveries.

I bought two of them, one in the Northeast Yellowbird, and another in the Northeast blue-stripe scheme.

There were vast differences in the two models, and the colors were generic yellow or blue, but not the true matched colors used by the airline. One model had the rudder painted on, the other did not. One model had 5 doors per side, the other had 4 with different window spacing.

The other Philippine model is a Delta CV-880. It is just awful. I tried to sell it on Ebay and could not get one bid.

I own two Bader models. One is excellent: an Eastern Airlines 747-100 in 1/100th scale - very detailed and very accurate.

The other is pretty rough: a Northeast CV-880 Yellowbird. It was received damaged. It also has a large cargo door painted onto the front, which never existed during the aircraft's days with NE.

Curt / concord977
Washington, DC

No info

airways45

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:41 am

I've had problems with yellowing of the decals, but have found that a good rub with a quality car wax works wonders. Concorde models are also interesting. I head that BA were not happy with the PacMin Concorde models that they got in the late 1990s so they switched back to Space. Don't know what others think about this one. I also understand that AMI Phelps are bringing out a Concorde model because they felt everyone else does it wrong...

I always avoid wooden models. Winglets and nose are often wrong, winglets being too think. I also saw recently some 1/144 resin models in BA Union Flag colours with CF6-80C2 engines rather than the expected RB211s. The nacelles looked wrong.

Another favourite is wrongly placed decals, incorrect registrations etc. All fun!