KLM777
Topic Author

A.net Battle Of The Airlines

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:38 pm

Now that the Airline Online game has started, I though it might be a good idea to start a thread where everyone drops their comments about the game, who you are, how you're doing and things like that.

I've set up KLM (being a chauvinistic Dutchman), my hub is Schiphol of course, and my goal is to take over Air France if anyone starts it (so be warned if you intent to do so)...

Kind regards and good luck to you all,

Jeroen
Every landing is a controlled crash

zak

RE: A.net Battle Of The Airlines

Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:44 am

how do you get money after you started routes?
to make the question more clear, what are the game "ticks" and when do they take place? every day a week? a month? a quarter?

btw
i am CGN international with a hub in hong kong
10=2

SegmentKing

Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:03 am

you have to buy bonds, unfortunately, and the MUST be paid back on the due dates. I unfortunately bought some 3 mo bonds but mainly 1 year notes...

then you go and set your staffing levels (good pay = you'll have employees... if the pay is too low, you won't have anyone to work your flights).

Then you have to decide if you want to lease or buy airplanes... i mixed mine up a bit and even picked up a 737-500 for $196k a month, compared to $224k i'm paying on my Q400s..

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

A3204eva

Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:12 am

My Airline is Air Scott - Hub=London Heathrow

I took out every bond I could. With the aircraft, I buy used.
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

zak

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:54 am

@segment king

thanks for the replies, but i did understand the bonds part  Smile
i am currently just wondering when i see if my routes work the way i have them planned. got a daily flight EGLL<->VHHH with a A333 and a tri weekly A343 on the same route and a daily A343 KLAX-VHHH
if they dont give me the profit that i have anticipated i will have problems paying back my bonds  Smile)
10=2

SegmentKing

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:07 pm

I realized that everyone is avoiding FLL so I had to sell some bonds and picked up a pair of 757s and an MD87 .. added LAX & SFO to my network, plus Aruba (with a Dash 8!) :P

but it has a 33" seat pitch and video monitors, and audio!

yanksn4

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:20 pm

anyone know if i can delete my current airline and start a new one?
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

SegmentKing

Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:04 pm

I think that just happened. I just logged in and everyone's hubs are gone.. including my own network!

oh well!

-nate

regupilot

Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:43 pm

I wanna play, how is it?... where is it.. what is it?

Thanks in advance!

A3204eva

Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:25 am

Yea! Where's all the routes gone? I had to start again Sad
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

yanksn4

Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:09 am

Why won't the time start going? I am stuck on quarter 3 and the date won't change or anything.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

KLM777
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:37 am

That's because the game is run in batches Yanksn4. With each batch the results of your actions are computed. Batches are run generally on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The next batch will run Wednesday as you can see on the login page.

Regupilot, I'm afraid if you haven't subscribed to in this thread in civ. av. you cannot join the game anymore: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1400015/4/. Maybe they'll do it again in the future.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

LHRman

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:14 pm

I'm afraid I don't have the online version but I did buy it and I am now one of the biggest airlines on my game. My name is Jump and I have 2 hub airports, Dubai and Copenhagen. I leased aircraft first then when I had enough money I brought 60 planes to be delivered in 3 years. They were 50x ERJ-140s and 10x ERJ-145XR. I have also got another 10x ERJ-140s that I brought earlier in my game as they were going cheap. I have also recently purchased 4x A340-500s and 2x 777-200LR. During the the game, I am not in year 2017 Q2 I have also purchased 6x TU-234s and I currently have on order a single all first class Gulfstream 5. My cash available to spend currently is $5,291,436,000.00

So in conclusion my fleet consists of 100 acrft.

6x TU-234
4x A340-500
2x 777-200LR
78x ERJ-140LR
10x ERJ-145XR

I have 74 destinations and no loans to repay or anything. I wish it was real instead of virtual then I would be able to buy one hell of a lot of things.

Thanks LHRman  Big thumbs up

Always after the picture you can't get..

slider

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:03 am

Thanks to Jeroen for setting this thread up. I started on Friday when the game opened, then had some problems subsequently. After that, the game closed up for a bit and had to start new.

I have a few questions/thoughts that I'd like to bounce off ya'll. All of us may have some real-life airline experience in various disciplines, so that kind of taints our perspective here.

1) I'm obviously trying to keep my quarterly pmts down on A/C leases, but am having a hard time getting the proper seat configuration. For example, 717-200s have 117 max seats, but with a 12 seat FC with std FC seats, I can only squeeze out 69 total seats even with a 28" pitch! That cannot be right!

2) Since there are no "directions" per se for this game, I found out a little bit about slot/landing credit usage. Essentially, if you plan on running a daily (7x/wk) round trip, plan on 35 credits given an aircraft that uses 5 credits per trip. Multiply that by the # of frequencies you have and that's what you ought to start with, at minimum, to purchase.

3) Service levels: I've not played the regular game, so I can't state for certainty, but do service levels mean anything? Is there some algorithm within the game that creates traffic based on service?

4) For hub carriers, what is the general "connectivity" of your flts? In other words, if your A/C has a standard 30 minute turn time built in, must you plan on a 30 minute Minimum connect time (MCT) for outbound flts?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to playing. I've long bemoaned these kind of simulation games as being lame, but I've decided to finally make a go of it. BTW, I am Pterodactyl Airlines (PT), hubbed at Washington Dulles, serving 10 spokes from there thus far. Good luck to everyone!

ClassicLover

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:58 pm

Slider... with your post...

1) In Airline 5, some seats take up a lot more space than others! So the seats you have for FC are probably the size of the ones they use in 747s, so your 12 are probably 2 abreast right down the plane! Try choosing a smaller seat!

2) You're right on the slots... it was in a Newsletter recently... I hope this is what is happening for Airline 6!

3) Service levels work out how much you're being charged for inflight services. Give more service and it's going to cost you more per flight. Give less, you save money. I imagine it also relates to passengers.

Love your airline name! Looks like I should do the online game next time  Smile

Trent.

I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

KLM777
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:08 am

Thanks for your replies! Nice to hear from you!

I've finished setting up my airline and I'm ready for the first run. I've set up connections to the main European cities and leased planes to fly them. Because I've not played Airline before I'm a little cautious and therefore not doing any intercontinental flights. I'm anxious to see whether my current airline can make some money.

How are you guys doing? If you join the game, please leave a message which airline you're running. BTW does anyone know if this game is A.net members only or are there also 'outsiders' joining?

Kind regards and good luck,

Jeroen

ROSWELL41

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:27 am

I'm CEO of Podunk Airways hubbed in Honolulu.

SegmentKing

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:49 am

Western Airlines sure did explode... and for some reason, we're competing on 4 or 5 routes *skratches head* and I guess its based on the west coast, I'm in Miami...

-n

sfointern

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:24 am

IntimateManful Air, hubbed in London Heathrow, with daily flights to Europe, Asia, and North America.

SegmentKing

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:46 am

intimatemanful? come on hass! :P

slider

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:32 am

I'm having a real bear of a time scheduling my aircraft.

In short, I've got 10 717s, 11 total cities. I painstakingly created a flow for 10 different lines of flying, with most of my cities having 3-4 daily frequencies. Typical utilization (on paper anyhow) is 11.75 hrs/day assuming the 15 min turn (a distinct advantage of the 717 vs the 737 or A319/320 family).

However, I keep having some error in drafting my sked. I've got my originators and terminators matching up perfectly and everything is in sync. I remember how arduous it was to do this manually!!!

Also, a Q for anyone with the regular version of the game: any tips on connectivity? ie: what is the minimum connect time? Does the game take into account pax connections and has anyone's experience offered tips to that end?

While my hub is in IAD, with a big local market, I'm still very dependent upon my connectivity. Thanks in advance yall.

ClassicLover

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:00 pm

Regarding the regular version of the game - I don't believe that it presently recognises connections, though I think it will when version 6 comes in May...

To get a definitive answer, you should go to the forums on www.airlinesimulation.com and ask there.

Cheers,

Trent.

airkas1
Crew

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:03 pm

Well,

I joined you guys luckily. My airline is called Tropical and my main hub is Miami.
Still figuring the game out and exploring everything. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Kas
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

mirrodie

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:42 pm

I am still trying to figure iit out too. I don;t get it, you change you parameters and then wait between batch periods? what is the difference b/w batch and update periods?

I went in annd did my early changes. Then it seems everything else is standing still.

How does this work?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

SegmentKing

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:27 am

*shoots an evil look at Kas* :P

At least I know who I'm sharing my hub with....

-n

airkas1
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:41 am

hey Nate,

It doesn't say that if your Hub... It says Tropical and Conch Aire are the only airlines with hubs in Miami Big thumbs up

Alright, I'd better go back to that site in search of (yet)unserved airports. Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Kas

SegmentKing

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:25 am

what unserved airports from Miami? *grin*

*twirls finger in hair*

Too bad I can't play like big mean AA and turn MIA into a monopoly hub! Although I'm wondering if I can turn you in for predatory practices, dumping that 717 on the Port Au Prince route, with fares cheaper than mine, and leaving 20 minutes after my lil JungleJet does *** tongue in cheek ***

Actually, the one thing in this game I'm not thrilled about are the # of "domestic" airports that can't receive international service. Some of those markets in the Bahamas are huge markets, and a few in Mexico.

Good luck Kas...

-n

airkas1
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:53 am

what unserved airports from Miami?
You figure it out. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Too bad I can't play like big mean AA and turn MIA into a monopoly hub! Although I'm wondering if I can turn you in for predatory practices, dumping that 717 on the Port Au Prince route, with fares cheaper than mine, and leaving 20 minutes after my lil JungleJet does
Where did you see my fares are cheaper then yours and what times I fly there?

Good luck Kas...
You 2!!

Kas

SegmentKing

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:13 am

I'm surprised you haven't jumped all over my lowly JungleJet flying from AUA to MIA :P

As a fellow diver, i'm wondering if we can push the EFZED guys to add Bimini as a destination!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Btw, I goofed. You have an A320 on the Port Au Prince route.. it's Providenciales you have the 717 :P

But, I've been able to schedule most of my fleet on 22 hour utilizations, with exceptions of the regional props... so I'm a bit nervous to see how this turns out... I'm not used to scheduling an airplane for anything over 10 (I do this for a living for a real airline...)

-n

[Edited 2004-03-30 20:38:01]

slider

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:32 am

OK- I've scheduled all of my aircraft. This is pretty cool; not entirely realistic, but functional.

Looks like the one of the errors that shut the thing down last Friday had to do with landing credits not being credited back to you if you cxld a base schedule. it now is doing so.

I've got 11 A/C, and 11 cities, hubbed out of IAD. Typically, a 4 trip/day pattern, one city with 3 trips, a couple with 5/day. IAD offers me good connections directionality. I'm getting good utilization and have set a base service level predicated on 2-class service.

I also noticed that my original estimate for # of landing credits, particularly for my hub, was grossly off target. I'm now running about 1200 landing credits at IAD and have used almost all of them with my schedule. Heavy duty stuff.

Setting fares can also be tricky, as when you schedule a ship, it'll automatically populate your fare buckets, however, when you assign a service level, it zeroed out my fares! Anyone else have this happen? Fortunately, I've been able to arrive at a base cents/km formula that I'm using as a proxy for all my markets.

Until the first batch is run tomorrow, I really don't have much to go on insofar as traffic/loads and pricing reactivity.

So far, I'm pretty geeked about this. I still don't know what kind of hub connectivity exists, if anything in this game, so the timings of flts may still need some work (trial and error in this regard I guess).

Pterodactyl Airlines shall dominate the skies!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

airkas1
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:31 am

As a fellow diver, i'm wondering if we can push the EFZED guys to add Bimini as a destination!
While we're at it, let's bring SXM and Saba to the game also! (good diving locations too Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

Just a quick question:
-Do you guys also have your planes grounded during the night? At night my a/c don't fly (for about 6-9h).

Kas

airkas1
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:51 am

BTW, Nate, which airline are you?

Edit: Nevermind. I think you're Conch Air....

[Edited 2004-03-30 22:54:22]

SegmentKing

Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:51 pm

Yeah, I'm Conch Air.

And no, most of my planes fly during the night. My utilization is about 20 hours / day / airframe. I just have a gut feelin i should keep some operational spares...

airkas1
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:01 pm

Most of my planes fly during the night.
How do you do that?? By setting a very early departure time?

I'd love to hear how it works...

Btw, you have a good network N. Just a pity I fly cheaper sometimes Big thumbs up

Kas

SegmentKing

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:23 am

(will post later on in the game)

-n

[Edited 2004-03-31 17:25:42]

slider

Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:38 am

Presumably, if you fly too early or too late, your traffic will be impacted. At least, that's what the conventional wisdom would suggest. I'm trying to set this up within the "normal" paradigms of how the industry operates, since I don't know what kind of logic the sim is using.

Redeyes are a possibility, esp if you have west coast leisure cities that connect to an east coast bank or something.

It'll be very interesting to see what the first batch run does. The site is down all day to check things out, so I hope they scrub the program for any errors that pop up.

Also- FYI, in the e-mail they said that anyone who has named their airline after a real airline needs to change it ASAP or they'll do it for you!

airkas1
Crew

Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 am

Oh man..... I really hope I made some profit.... I have to pay off 15M (so I've heard). Untill now I only have like $32K.

Kas

ClassicLover

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:55 am

I don't understand why you can't play named as a real airline... honestly, who's going to sue?

In the Airline 5 game, I've found that if you have services with weird times, when you check your capacity versus seats sold (ie: load factors), you'll see that there's heaps of seats left unsold.

Still, you might make a profit depending on your pricing structure. All this talk of the online game means I might just have to play in the next one!!

Trent.

chris78cpr

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:05 pm

Hey guys,

I'm aero pacific or AO hubbed out of LHR!!! I have no money right now and im trying to get to grips with bonds and shares! Watch out tho, i plan to take over the cross atlantic routes!!! HA HA HA

Lol, only kidding!!! Im still learning!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

SegmentKing

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:28 am

$42 million in da bank.. woohoo!!

zak

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:10 am

raaa

Aircraft name Number of aircraft
Airbus A340-213X 1
Airbus A330-300 4
Airbus A340-300 9
Airbus A321-100 3

making progress right there!
10=2

KLM777
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:19 am

Damn! Lost almost 16 million $! My financial details showed that I paid $26M to advertising and promotions!! I only did a billboard advertising which should cost no more than 3 million. I'm going to mail them to ask where this 26M comes from when it shows I need to pay 3M.

Funny thing I noticed: The day before the first batch run London Heathrow was completely sold out, 0 landing rights. A couple of guys with hubs there bought all of them. After the batch, all unused rights where returned, there are now about 3000 to buy again. They've made huge losses I guess. I too bought some 500 extra credits as I was afraid the same thing would happen to Schiphol, I lost these too. Bad thing they haven't said it before, but it is after all very good to prevent monopolies.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

airkas1
Crew

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:45 am

I went from $32K to $19M.

But now I have a bit more than 200K left over. I used it all for new routes and the leasing of new a/c.

BTW, I found St. Maarten!!!! hehe Big thumbs up And I'm the ONLY airline to fly to it mwuahahahaha Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Kas

zak

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:53 am

actually my fleets this, cant wait for next update:

Airbus A340-213X 1
Airbus A330-300 6
Airbus A340-300 9
Airbus A321-100 3
Airbus A320-200 4

p.s. unused slots do go away, i lost millions on that too, sux that they didnt announce it
10=2

SegmentKing

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:25 am

Kas,

You speak too soon. I just got a few 737-700s to go up against your lil 717s, and picked up a pair of 777s for my longer haul routes.

Oh, after all is said and done, I still have $8 mil to play with :P :P :P

---

How do we find out how each route/segment is performing? I know i'm getting my ass kicked on a few routes where I have 1 daily ERJ against a larger airframe... just wondering how bad the damage is. I'm also a bit surprised at the MIA-SJU results..

My fleet (I keep tinkering with it, probably add more 737-700s)

4 Embraer Brasila 120ER
9 Embraer ERJ 145 (+10 on order)
5 Dash 8-300
4 Boeing 737-700
10 Boeing 757-200
2 Boeing 777-200

-nate

[Edited 2004-04-01 18:34:10]

airkas1
Crew

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:32 am

You lost millions!!??

Did you have that much unused slots which you put up for sale for much money?

You bought/leased 9 more planes??? Nice going! Big thumbs up

My current fleet list:

BAE 146-200 1
Yakovlev YAK-42 1
Airbus A330-300 1
Airbus A319 2
Boeing 757-200 1
Boeing 757-300 1
ATR 72-500 2
Boeing 717-200 1
Airbus A320-200 5
Airbus A321-200 2
Airbus A300-600 1

And when the lease runs out for the 752 and 753 I'm gonna replace the 752 with the A313 and the 753 with the A306.

Oh yeah, I've got about 17 destinations too! Tropical Going strong.

Kas  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SegmentKing

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:47 am

Kas, I made only $42m :/

Just that yer beatin up my lil JungleJets *grr*

Thanks for tellin me where yer headed  Smile  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:54 am

Erhm guys..... I really like the way you're making money  Insane

I'm Iberian Air Services and based at MAD ... currently flying 3x weekly to MIA and 3x weekly to MEX... with a single B762.

I don't understand how you can set up such a big fleet. I bought lots of bonds, but if i want to buy another aircraft they tell me i have not enough money. How the hell do you have money for 20+ aircraft?  Nuts

Actually I wonder how the "passengers" and the "money" is calculated in this game. Am i getting more passengers if i offer better service and more legroom?  Nuts Or is it just the same as if i use 25inch seat pitch and no service?

regards, Flo

(please help a newbie!!!)

airkas1
Crew

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:57 am

Flo,

We lease our a/c Big thumbs up (atleast I do)

Nate, I didn't say where I am going!!??

Kas

zak

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:08 am

" How the hell do you have money for 20+ aircraft?"

i leased all my planes and i had over 77m$ after the first batch update so i leased even more planes.

it says that it will only run to 2004, hardly something to develop a long time strategy, so its smart to do long term leases(even over the duration of the game) and not buy planes, cause why buy a plane now in 2000 to have it arrive in 2003 and the game round end in 2004? makes no sense!
10=2