futterman

Nifty, Foolproof Way To Improve FPS

Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:31 pm

Already posted this in the 'Anyone Know Of A Good A330 Add-on?' thread, so forgive the double post. Figured it would get more attention and help more people if I just made a whole new thread about it. So, I'll just copy and paste.  Wink/being sarcastic

Anywho...

I found a pretty good solution to improving framerates. It's not original, but apparently not too many people know about it. One 'word': DXTBmp.

Download that program (probably Avsim, or just try Googling it, sorry) First (and you only need to do this once each time you open up the program), go to Prefs and uncheck 'Include Mips.' Then, open up each texture, one at a time, and save as 'DXT3 with Alpha.' Do that for each texture file, or at least all the major ones, and you're set.

Try that and it should work. Any questions, and just shoot me an email. Actually, you can simply check out this link and learn exactly what I just told you: http://forum.projectopensky.com/index.php?showtopic=8128. A link to download the program is also included.

Enjoy.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
What the FUTT?

Fly2HMO

RE: Nifty, Foolproof Way To Improve FPS

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:40 pm

I'm dissapointed, just did that and the difference wasn't even noticeable. Followed instructions to the last letter and did that to all extended textures and overwrote them. oh well...

radarbeam

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:43 am

DXT3 does not exactly increase FPS, but instead is loads textures incredibly faster! Quite useful on the opensky beasts!

jutes85

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:00 am

DXTBMP is used for loading the textures faster, like Radarbeam said.

If you really want to improve FPS go this little trick in the FS9.cfg in the Display settings:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP]

Poof, extra 10-15fps.

Here is a link to the original drivers:
http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?p=56881

nothing

Fly2HMO

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:35 am

any similar tricks for fs2002?

Craigy

Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:47 am

Jutes85,

Thank you for the post. I can hardly believe it. I thought I had seen all the tweaks going. I spent a lot of time getting my frames up last night but this has blown it all away.

With most sliders maxed or high, Ultimate Traffic at 100% and using a PMDG 737NG, I had managed to get (at EGCC on the runway) 36 fps single display and 17 fps dual display (panel and external views).

Just adding the tweak above, I instantly get 60 fps single display and 36 fps dual display.
More than DOUBLE.

WOW.

There isn't an entry in the display.cfg for my video card (FX 5600) so I went for the generic NVIDIA one as shown in your post.

Craig.

Fly2HMO

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:38 am

What's the equivalent of the FS9.cfg for FS2002? ANYBODY PLEASE?!?!