Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Model Glue On "Clear" Plastic - Help!

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:01 am

Hi guys.

Last night I was glueing on the front windscreen for an F4J Phantom II model that I've almost finished and have done a pretty good job on. It's a 1:48 scale.

Unfortunately I accidently got a small spot of glue on the lower right section of the front windscreen. I was using a toothpick to carefully apply the glue (obviously not carefully enough  Sad ) and somehow managed to make this mistake.

So, if anyone has any ideas, or you know of a product that I can use to safely remove this spot of glue which is about 3 square milimeters big, I'd really appreciate it.

I realize that I might be screwed here, and just have to pretend it's a birdstrike!  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joan Martorell

Thanks,

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

doug_or

Sfc

Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:53 am

welllllllll, the plastic glue chemicaly alters the plastic to bond pieces together. For clear plastic this means it will get cloudy/translucent, so it doesn't look good. if it was just a little bit it may be possible to sand and polish the blemish away. IF at all possible, a replacment part will probably be your best bet.
When in doubt, one B pump off

DeltaMD11

RE: Model Glue On "Clear" Plastic - Help!

Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:47 am

Lightly sand the affected area, and dip the area in floor polish (thats the best case scenario---I frequently lightly sand entire clear pieces and dip them in floor polish so that they come out like real clear glass). For future reference--don't use modeling glue (aka plastic cement) to glue clear parts on. Use wood glue. Wood glue dries clear and has no effect on clear parts.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:13 am

Hi guys.

OK, Thank You very much for your recomendations & for the tip about using wood glue in the future instead of the usual plastic cement glue when working with clear parts. I will definetely start using wood because any mistakes won't be permanent and I'll be glueing a lot of windows into an Eastern Airlines L-1011 really soon.

I'll try the sanding technique and hope for the best as it will be the first time I've ever had to sand a clear part. Also, I guess I'll need to apply the floor polish with a brush instead of just dipping the area because when I glued the windscreen on, it was already painted.

I forgot to add that I'll practice first on some scrap clear parts and that if all fails - which it shouldn't, I'm pretty detailed - I do have another windscreen that I was already thinking of using originally, and it is smoked in colour.

Thanks Again guys.  Big thumbs up

Chris  Smile

[Edited 2004-04-17 01:18:25]
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

DeltaMD11

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:15 am

Spaceman--
Let us know how it turns out  Smile
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

L-188

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Worse case scenario, take a tiny drill bit and drill out the hole.

Then claim that it took a 23MM hit over Hanoi.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

backfire

Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:58 pm

It's a little extreme but you might want to consider painting the clear plastic - although windows are transparent, there are a lot of models around (particularly snap-fit) which do not have transparent windows; the grey/black paintwork simply gives the illusion of transparency.

Love the wood-glue and floor-polish suggestions, though. That'll help me in future.

DeltaMD11

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:45 pm

I do what I can Backfire  Smile That's what is so lovely about these forums---everyone can share their ideas and experience with others and you can really gain from it.

JMChladek

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:15 am

BTW, the floor polish in question is a product called Future in the US. It is an acrylic floor polish. In other countries, it is known by other names, such as Johnson's Kleer, but it is essentially the same product. I know many modelers that use the stuff for clearcoating models with an airbrush, but I just use it for dipping canopies and use other products for clearcoating since Future can be removed by cleaners with ammonia in them, such as Windex (keep windex handy to strip the Future off if you make a mistake in applying it).

For sanding the area out, I start with about 320 grit and then go with progressively finer grits to bring back the luster before Future coating the part. The highest that 3M sandpapers go is 600 grit, but many shops that carry model cars also carry a set of polishing cloths that start at about 1200 grit and go up to 14000 grit. These were originally intended for polishing optics, but they work great for polishing paintjobs (which car modelers use them for) and polishing canopies. If you don't have access to those, then after polishing the area with 600 grit, use some toothpaste as the final plastic polish before dipping the part in Future.

BTW, the clear side windows found on many 1/144 airliner kits are pretty thick and a lot of modelers I know either fill the windows completely and use aftermarket window decals or they fill the window ports with a product called Microscale Krystal Klear (no relation to Future). This is a white glue product that can be stretched over small open areas with a toothpick and when it dries it takes on the appearance of a window. If it doesn't work, it can be stripped off easily and done again. Most every good hobby shop in North America (and some in Europe) tends to stock this product and it also works well for attaching canopies as it is essentially a white glue product.

For models that are 1/100 and larger scale, clear windows look better then decals.

L-188

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:54 pm

The worse case scenario is to order an aftermarket window kit.

http://www.squadron.com carries them.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.