cramos

Any Good Training Airports In FS?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:55 am

Are there any airports you prefer to train around? What I mean by training is you can taxi to your runway fairly quickly get up in the air, practice approaches, holds, other other maneuvers near a known NAVAID and have some nice scenery (city or landscapes) to give a full experience? I will practice with any plane, but I'll divide it into an airport for a Cessna/Beech King and an airport for heavies.

RE: Any Good Training Airports In FS?

Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:43 am

Actually, when I'm in training mode on FS, I don't bother with taxiing--I just set up to be on the departure runway. In FS, I only taxi for fun. I typically don't worry about good scenery either, as the visability is generally set to approach minimums.

Anyway, I find it useful to shoot approaches to the same airports that I utilize in real life, so that I better know what to expect when I am actually in that situation. Also, I'll only "practice" in the Cessna 172 and 182, as they are the the only FS airplanes that provides a good enough representation for training purposes. The fire-breathers are fun, but completely dumbed-down. Even the Baron is missing some important stuff. And the Mooney, while quite an attractive airplane in FS, is nearly uncontrollable in some flight scenarios.

'Speed

ArmitageShanks

Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:27 am

If you go to KTRI in FS the GA parking is really close to the 8000 foot CAT II runway. You can do all sorts of approaches there.

INNflight

Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:47 pm

Doha, Qatar is a great training airport! So is Malta Luqa!

Both airports have a very long runway, and are still nice to fly on, with the sea around etc...

regards, Florian
Jet Visuals