greaser

I've Got Gmax, Now What?

Fri May 07, 2004 2:31 pm

I've recently downloaded Gmax v1.2 from discreet.com or something.

Anyway, any tips for developing a/c, where to get specs for modelling??

And finally, what do i need for repainting/painting the a/c other than the paint kit..do i need adobe photoshop???
HELP
Now you're really flying

gordonsmall

RE: I've Got Gmax, Now What?

Sat May 08, 2004 6:08 am

Designing 3d Models in FS is not for the faint of heart!

I tried ....... and failed, I put my difficulty down to being totally devoid of any artistic senses. Most of the model desiginers I spoke too said that you needed a natural eye for noticing when something "just looks right".

I now stick to programming gauges - which thankfully involves a lot more maths/physics and C++/Assembly language programming, which is more to my liking.

As for finding 3-views and aircraft specs - just search on google - something always turns up.

If you ever get the 3D modelling thing clipped, drop me an e-mail and maybe we can work on something together.

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

jwenting

Sat May 08, 2004 1:45 pm

Start learning GMax inside out. Do the tutorials until you can recreate similar things without having to resort to them.
Then start with making something simple.
Then make an aircraft without all the details and difficult curves and shapes.
Refine your skills.
Make a more complex version of the aircraft.
Refine your skills some more.
Repeat above.

In a good while you should get there (or not).

For painting, any good graphics program will do. Photoshop is an oft-pirated and popular alternative, PaintShop Pro is good and cheap enough that some people actually seem to buy it.
Corel Draw! might still exist.
I'm sure there are others.
I wish I were flying

greaser

Sat May 08, 2004 4:17 pm

Thanx Gordon. I sucessfully made one of the first tutorial objectives, a hammer.

Anyway, i tried one of the a/c examples and got really pissed bcoz i tried to enter the length,width stuff and the box was wrongly done!!! over 10 times!!!!
So now i may stick to repainting, ill go n buy photoshop. BTW, is photoshop relatively easy to use, maybe someone can contact me and help me paint my first a/c.
(im sooo disappointed no one has made an AF MJ777-300ER or a BBJ)
Now you're really flying