ZKSUJ
Topic Author

747 Nosewheel

Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:38 pm

Hi
I was just wondering why the nosewheel collapses on the 744 when in FS 2004 and 2002. I know that it dosent happen very often but when it does, why does it happen.
Appreciate any advise, thanks

ZKSUJ

FlyingColours

RE: 747 Nosewheel

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:29 pm

When does it collapse, Touchdown?, taxi?. If it's during taxi it could be the well documented pot-holes which nothing can be done about (yet) other than to taxi around them. I know there is one at the holding point to 34L at NRT (Since me and an AI Swiss MD-11 found it), I know that those holes sometimes cause the gear to collapse.

Perhaps you have random faliures on and it keeps doing the nosegear.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:46 pm

That's exactly where it happened. While taxiing onto runway 34L at NRT whislt trying to begin my take off roll to CDG. Problem is, I cant see the potholes as my flight leaves at night (AKL-NRT arrives at 2045 and leaves for CDG at 2330), so next time I will taxi to the runway turnoff before the end as there is still room at that locations before the runway starts.
Also, I had a nosewheel collapse at AKL while touchdown. Main gear hit the surface as usual but when I pushed the nosewheel to the ground, it collapsed. This is not an AKL problem I know as I have landed on that runway safely and successfully on numerous occasions. I hope that was just a one time thing at AKL.
Glad to know however that it is not just me having the problem at NRT.

Thanks

ZKSUJ

FlyingColours

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:14 pm

The unfortunate thing about these potholes is that you can't see them for they are under the ground texture, so the only way around them is to find out where they are and then go via a different route.

When I was at NRT I don't think I even went over it, the Swiss MD-11 went over as it lined up and started bouncing, then I started bouncing with it. Parculiar to say the least, I'll have to go from the holding point before it when I leave for SIN on Wednesday.

EDIT - There is of course one more way to avoid the gear collapeses and that is to ignore crashes - but it kind of spoils it in a way.

Phil
FlyingColours

[Edited 2004-06-05 12:18:36]
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

dan2002

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:54 am

the Swiss MD-11 went over as it lined up and started bouncing, then I started bouncing with it.

Kinda like that movie Soul Plane huh?

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

FlyingColours

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:59 am

I guess so but I don't think you're interpreting it the way I meant it, usually I am more careful in what I say.

Phil
FlyingColours
A.NET Airlines - Come fly with us