FJWH
Topic Author

Scanner Questions

Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:04 pm

Hi

I was thinking about buying a scanner so I can listen to the tower, approach etc. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with scanners and can tell me how it is. I live in Zwolle (the Netherlands), the Dutch A.netters know where that is  Smile, but can I listen here also to frequencies of aircraft? And I heard that in the east of The Netherlands, where Zwolle is situated, the airspace is one of the busiest in the world. Does this mean that I can hear a lot on the scanner? Can anyone give me a site with frequencies of Schiphol and maybe (If there are any??)for around Zwolle?
If I'm going to buy a scanner: where should I look at? Does anybody knows a (Dutch) site where I can buy a scanner?

Thanks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

FJWH
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

CVGpilot

RE: Scanner Questions

Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:30 am

www.sportys.com---- the jd-200
Globally Yours

iakobos

Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:37 pm

FJWH
W Europe is indeed one of the busiest areas, still that does not mean Zwolle in particular.

If you are looking for a portable scanner, I advise you to choose one which has a socket for an external antenna.

You will be able to listen to aircrafts flying at cruise level at distances largely exceeding 200nm (400km+), and airports and ATC at distances depending on the location (height) of your antenna.
If you live in a multi-story building, consider putting the antenna on the roof.

There are hundreds of shops in the NL selling appropriate scanner and antennas, and several web sites where you can find all aeronautical frequencies of interest, including the military.

zrb2

Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:04 pm

I have the Pro-95 from Radio Shack. It works great for aviation plus you get all the other frequencies (police/fire/marine/cb/ham)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F000&product%5Fid=20%2D525#

modesto2

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:30 pm

I also have a Radio Shack scanner and would highly recommend it. It's really quite easy to use and reliable.

PHLapproach

Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:44 pm

I also have a Pro-95, its great. I just heard about a discone antenna. Its about a 100 bucks. But you can recieve 100 - 200 miles away.

aviationwiz

Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:00 pm

I want a scanner too, can anyone link me to one that doesn't cost $200-$300? LOL. Thanks.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

lorm

Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:29 pm

Yo, all you guys with the PRO-95 RadioShack, do you know if there is anyway to replace the keypad? You think RradioShack would have spare parts? It's been through a lot and has had good use. Some of the keys are hard to press now without pressing down quite hard :-(. It's a great scanner for the money though.

It's too bad a lot of the trunking channels in Honolulu (where I am) are switching to digitally encoded scrambled ones. I used to be able to listen to the oil refinery down at the industrial zone. It's funny because they would never say the word SPILL over the air, they would always say it in some non descriptive way Big grin. They would have occationally small leaks or spills and try hard not to make it known over the radio.
Brick Windows

iakobos

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:28 pm

PHLapproach

A discone antenna is simply a broadband antenna, and technically a more or less acceptable compromise when one needs a single antenna to receive a (very) wide frequency range. 100$ seems also a lot of money for a few rods and one socket. Pretty easy to make one DIY for 0 to 20$.

If airband is your stuff, buy or make a simple quarterwave groundplane or a vertical halfwave (hide it in a pvc tube, it will look and perform like the commercial stuff).