BFR

Safety Cards... Best? Worst?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:59 am

As simple as it sounds... for me the best would have to be a tie between Delta and Qantas... both are very colorful and easy to read/understand... the worst would without a doubt be Ghana Airways for their DC-10... I could probably make a better safety card with 10 minutes of time... the irony of the matter is the only time I ever legitimately payed attention to a safety briefing was on my GH flight (as most of you can figure out why)  Smile

CMK10

RE: Safety Cards... Best? Worst?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:47 am

I'd say the best are Americans. Instead of using stupid cartoons like most others (DL included) they have actual photographs taken inside the aircraft and/or cabin mockups. The worst is anyone who doesn't use photos, UA, US, AS etc. etc.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

yvrtoyyz

RE: Safety Cards... Best? Worse?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:16 am

Mine are primarily AC safety cards as they fail to state that the cards must remain onboard. The others (US Airways, WS & TS) all mention to keep them onboard, but I ask an FA for new ones, as they are required by the FAA and Transport Canada to have extras onboard. I think that US Airways ERJ 145 is too big and boring, but unique in comparison to others and easier to read/figure out. My two cents.

-YVRtoYYZ

NWA757

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:48 am

In my opinion, the best safety cards are those from the Middle Eastern countries, Africa and Europe because of the different languages in which they are printed. Any that fail to state that they must remain on board the aircraft are appropriated.

I have a large majority of cards from the United States carriers both major and smaller regional carriers. Each safety card tells a little bit about the aircraft, airline and country that the carrier is from. A tidbit of history in a safety card. The pictures from the cards that are taken from the actual inside of the aircraft are generic yet interesting.
Fly High!

airsicknessbag

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:29 am

>>>I'd say the best are Americans. Instead of using stupid cartoons like most others (DL included) they have actual photographs taken inside the aircraft and/or cabin mockups.

It`s rather the other way round: using pictogrammes, you can focus on the important stuff, while with photos, the passenger tends to get distracted by unimportant details (like hair or clothes of the people shown). Airlines realised that in the 70s/80s, since then, most carriers went to pictogrammes.

Daniel Smile

FlyboyOz

Safetycard

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:38 am

The best safety Card is QF (Qantas)...I like their graphics and the graphic of the humans are soo cutie. This is the best pictiure I've ever seen
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

transPac

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:53 am

Yeah I always get a kick out of those safety cards. They are all funny to me because they always make all the evacuation stuff look so easy. Which is understandable, they aren't going to put terror-stricken people in various stages of injury on their safety cards, that would be horrible marketing. Anyway, my roommate and I have our bathroom walls covered in them. Good wallpaper! And yes, the AA ones are by the far the best because they have the silly photographs on them.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:00 am

My best is my Hooters Air 757-200 with the lovely hooters girl on the front.
Puhdiddle

freshlove1

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 pm

You are correct BR715 I got the same one. That has to be the best one that has a picture on it in my collection

Continental

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:23 pm

I like NW's. They are large, have a REALLY nice photo on the front, and have actual photos (even though they look like they're from the 80's).

rikkus67

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:38 pm

I am biased. I like the cards of Westjet, Jetsgo, Canjet, and ZOOM! in Canada...they are made using 3-D animation!

...but then I guess I should... I helped with the design!

Anyone wanting a link to the website, please email me! I just can't do product placement here...

Rik in Canada
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

A340600

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:26 am

I like BA's. They protray style to me

Cheers

Sam Big thumbs up
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

dan2002

Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:57 am

Wasnt there a website that made fun of safety cards, I looked but couldnt find it?

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

freshlove1

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:37 pm

yep you are correct, try a google search for flight safety cards and you may find it there. I also remember one like that that made fun of them

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:11 pm

I would have to say that CX is pretty bad as they barely show the emergency features. Kenya is also pretty bad. While I love Virgin, I think that some aspects are hard to understand.

The site that was mentioned about making fun of safety cards is http://www.airtoons.com. Remember to brace yourself when you start laughing too hard!  Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

bmi

Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:46 am

Virgin Atlantic's are good esp with the little ginger kid holding the plane on the front of the 340 card! I like cards with arabic on them as it makes it so cultural.

Mark

SafetyDude

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:01 am

Virgin Atlantic's are good esp with the little ginger kid holding the plane on the front of the 340 card! I like cards with arabic on them as it makes it so cultural.

Yes, Virgin does have cute safety cards, but the cartoon idea has been "stretched" and some of the key emergency features are difficult to point out. Arabic is a language (capitalize the "A"). The "cultural" thing, safety cards are written in many languages so that the passengers of almost all nationalities can understand them. It would kind of be like flying on an American carrier and saying that it is cultural to have Spanish on the safety card.

Smile
-Will

bmi

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:29 am

i'm well aware that "Arabic" is a language, but what i didnt know was informal discussions had to be writen in perfect English! Relax! It would be pointless putting Spanish on an American card and thats not what I meant by my simple statement. Ok i'm in India/Pakistan - a card with Arabic writing on it wouldnt be anything but normal, but when you're from the West and live around the English language, to have an insight into someone else's is cultural be it written in text or on a safetycard!

Mark

SafetyDude

Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:17 am

i'm well aware that "Arabic" is a language
I knew that you could capitalize that "A"! (Now only the "I".)

Ok i'm in India/Pakistan - a card with Arabic writing on it wouldnt be anything but normal, but when you're from the West and live around the English language
I think that you would be very surprised to see the amount of Arab and Muslim travelers on VS.

It would be pointless putting Spanish on an American card and thats not what I meant
Well, that is not what I meant either. There is a purpose of putting Spanish on an American safety card.

to have an insight into someone else's is cultural be it written in text or on a safetycard!
Culture? On a safety card? Unless you know a bit of Arabic, I doubt that it can be cultural.

Smile
-Will

bmi

Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:42 am

I suggest you read before you reply as the comment about Arabs on VS didn't have anything to do with this at all! Oh and for the record I can speak Arabic and you're telling me theres no culture on a safetycard? Open your eyes and look at some of the designs on some from the Middle East mate!

Mark

SafetyDude

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 am

I suggest you read before you reply as the comment about Arabs on VS didn't have anything to do with this at all!
Oh, well you see, we had been talking about VS and I guess that I confused that you were switching topics because your grammar was confusing.  Big grin

Oh and for the record I can speak Arabic and you're telling me theres no culture on a safetycard? Open your eyes and look at some of the designs on some from the Middle East mate!
Okay, hold on. You are switch topics again. You have gone from reading Arabic to the designs of Middle Eastern safety cards. So yes, Middle Eastern safety cards could be cultural as you can see how their aviation has come along, but that still does not address reading Arabic.

I would like to end this discussion now, as the poor spell checker is being overloaded.
 Smile
-Will

NWADC9

Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:21 am

"I like NW's. They are large, have a REALLY nice photo on the front, and have actual photos (even though they look like they're from the 80's)."

You must haven't been on a DC-9 lately. Like Mesaba's, the DC-9's now have the cartoon crap and no photos.
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

bmi

Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:10 am

im too busy heading off to asia tomorrow to care about your idiotic attempts to disaprove everything i say! i know i'm right so would love to stick around but i have a flight to catch lol

mark

Fokker50

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:52 am

Mine are all that are in Fokkers, and in the Colombian Airlines.

Fokker50
Bogota, the South american gateway!

RCS763AV

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:33 am

You know, i find something very funny about AV´s safety cards, in the drawings, people appear smiling; like if an evacuation was something to laugh at.

trickijedi

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:51 pm

Best: Cathay Pacific. Real pictures, nice and sturdy and very aesthetically looking and pleasing to the eye.

Don't really have a worst. Cathay just really stands out.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

ERJ135

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:58 pm

My collection is quite small but my favourite one is from Polynesian Airlines 737-800, being a small carrier I would imagine not all that many people have one. I love the line that reads. "If you are sitting in an exit row and you cannot understand this card or cannot see well enough to follow these instructions, please tell a crew member".

Also rather proud of the Emirates A340-500.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

Jj

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:52 am

The best ones are the NW ones because they have this "retro" feeling in their pictures...

also, Ua's are excellent as their graphics are very clear and concise...

RCS763AV

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:45 am

My weirdest one is an AV 762ER safety card thet states "miembro de la alianza summa", which has already been changed, i got it when i came back from FLL.