psa188

Save The SJC Observation Deck

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:19 am

For those of you who have never been to San Jose, CA, Terminal C [built in the mid 1960s] there has one of the few [only????] open air observation decks left in the United States. Currently, SJC officials are planning a new terminal to replace the venerable Terminal C and I'm suspect they're not considering an observation deck. I went to the SJC web site http://www.sjc.org
and sent an email to webmaster@sjc.org requesting that they please remember to incorporate an outdoor observation deck in the new terminal.

The response I got was:
Dear Bill,
Thank you for your suggestion. We are currently in the process of
designing the new airport facilities--Phase One (the North Concourse Project) is set to break ground this Fall! I will be sure to pass along your
suggestion to those working on the project for the design of the future phases. If you
would like to find out more about the Airport Improvement Program,
please visit our web site at http://www.sjc.org/improve.html

Thank you again for your suggestion!

Sincerely,

Marina Renneke
Customer Service Representative
Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport
http://www.sjc.org

I urge everyone to write to SJC and tell them to build an observation deck in the new terminal.

Matt D

RE: Save The SJC Observation Deck

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:07 am

Just a canned form letter.....

a polite way of saying "kid...leave us alone."

Believe me. If the plans don't already call for an obs deck, guess what?

You ain't getting one.

av8er

Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:19 pm

Psa188. Where is this observation deck. I live in San Jose, never new about it

AmericanAirFan

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:45 am

I travel to SJC every year from Texas and love to spot there every chance I get while Im here in CA then my parents make me come back home  Sad If they wreck the observation deck and don't build a new one ill only have 1 place left to spot and its not much of a view so yeah um and Psa188. Where is this observation deck. I live in San Jose, never new about it well here is the web site http://www.sjc.org/inside/termc.html slide your mouse over the 6th icon it will show the observation deck on the map keys it a little interactive map you will see.

Hope this helps have fun at Terminal. C while its there it wont last long  Sad

-AmericanAirFan
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

InnocuousFox

Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:08 am

Isn't the new terminal going to be "B" in that it will be between the 2 current ones?

Also, at least at SJC, the top of the parking garage works admirably as an outdoor spotting platform.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Sinlock

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:51 pm

As much I love'ed the viewing deck, I'm glad to hear that Term C is being replaced it's not a fun place to travel from. SJC is not the sleepy airport that it use to be, but I'll miss using airstairs.

InnocuousFox

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:14 pm

When I'm in SJC, I'm on UA. I'm quite familiar with "C". I like the airstairs since I don't get a chance to do that anywhere else. However, the terminal itself is a pit and needs to be replaced badly. If they don't do the observation deck, it's the parking garage for me!
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

psa188

Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:53 pm

The SJC observation deck is located in terminal C, just before you get to the security check for the south gates, there's a door leading to an outside stairway which takes you up to the deck.

And, yes I know it's a canned reply, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BH