LHRman
Topic Author

Greeks And Airband Radios?

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:21 pm

Hey all, what do the Greeks think of Airband Scanners. I am off to JSI on Friday and want to do some spotting at the airport because I simply love it there! Can anyone tell me their experiences of Greece and there radios, weather it is illegal, secrecy is the best option or just to say its fine. I plan to have it in my bag with a headset. I've been to the island many a time, but this is the 1st time with my scanner. If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave Big grin
Always after the picture you can't get..

FlyingColours

RE: Greeks And Airband Radios?

Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:17 pm

I can't see it being much of a problem, I've never taken my scanner before (Been to a few of the Greek Islands before, my folks went to Skiathos year before last). To be honest I was petrified at the prospect of using my camera at RHO this year, but as long as the airport doesn't have an air base or some other military installation there (or nearby) I think you would be ok, you could always ask when you are at the airport.

Have a good trip

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

iakobos

Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:53 am

LHRman,
I am not 100% positive as far as the law is concerned, but scanners are widely advertised and available...and used, especially by journalists who are eavesdropping on police frequencies. This is current practice.
Sidenote: since security forces budget is traditionally tight, most policemen (have to) buy their radios themselves, in all cases these radios are illegal because they do not comply with technical requirements and cover the full VHF spectrum.

LHRman
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:44 am

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Just one more question to Iakobos! Can you give me your honest opinon to weather I should listen to it while observing Civil Air traffic landing at an already lenient island. The cops are almost non existant passing the airfield once or twice a day! So do you mind answering that?

Thanks Dave Big grin
Always after the picture you can't get..

iakobos

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:28 am

My opinion, well, if it is a tourist spot, not a shared civ/mil airport, and there are no military facilities around, the risk of getting into trouble is pretty close to 0.
Do not make it too visible would be my only recommendation (keep it in pocket and listen with a discreet earphone)