mx330

Airplane Books

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 am

Hi, just wondering if anybody knows about a book that involves the history of a plane, I'm NOT searching for a technical book but more like for kind of a novel or a good story that involves the life of a plane.

Any one knows about a good one? Can you tell me a little about it (just a few words of what it is about)

Thanks a lot.

Juan APM
All Canon! EOS 5D mk III, 8mm, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8, 100-400L

AF777ER

RE: Airplane Books

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:22 pm

Well I'm not so sure if this is what you mean but I have a book called "View From The Flight Deck"

I'll type out the description from the back of the book.

The left-hand seat on the flight deck of an inter continental airliner is just the place to be if you are an avid aviation photographer. Unique photo opportunities occur at every stage of a typical flight - on the ramp and taxiways, climbing to cruise-altitude through cloud filled skies and then descending into the final approach to see the beckoning runway ahead. This book is packed with color photographs of international aviation taken from privileged captain's position and complemented by detailed explanations of places, aircraft and situations. Captain Detmar Harter has logged almost 10,000 hours flying time and currently flies Boeing 757s and 767s for a leading German airliner. These photographs have been selected from his private collection of over 5,000.

mx330

Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:08 am

AF777ER, Thanks for your reply, it actually sounds as a very interesting book, but I'm looking more for a novel or so... Kind of like the "The testament" or so but that has to do with planes.

Anyone?

Juan APM
All Canon! EOS 5D mk III, 8mm, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8, 100-400L

AF777ER

Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:57 pm

Oh ok.
Well there is a book I also read called AIRFRAME, it is a novel. It is very interesting. Heres is a little review:

Cruising 35,000 feet above the earth, a twin-engine commercial jet encounters an accident that leaves 3 dead, 56 wounded, and the cabin in shambles. What happened? With a multi-billion-dollar company-saving deal on the line, Casey Singleton is sent by her hard-driving boss to uncover the mysterious circumstances that led to the disaster before more people die. But someone doesn't want her to find the truth. Airframe bristles with authentic information, technical jargon, and the command of detail Crichton's readers have come to expect.

levent

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:12 pm

I have a book about the crash of PanAm flight 103 over Lockerbie. It´s a true story of course and not a fictitious novel, but I really would recommend it. It´s very well written and you feel like being there every moment from take-off at LHR till the investigations around this tragedy. The book is called "Their darkest day" and is written by Matthew Cox and Tom Foster.

deltaalpha

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:51 pm

Night Over Water ( by Ken Folet) is a pretty good novel. It is about the trip of a Pan Am Clipper from England to the USA and the subterfuge and intrigue aboard the aircraft. Very well researched and written.
Common sense is not all that common

BAViscount

Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:04 am

I agree with AF777ER - Airframe is a great book. It centres around a ficticious aircraft manufacturer and ficticious airline, but in my mind that aircraft soon became a 777 (for no other reason than it's description sounded like a 777!). Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down - infact I may just start reading it again now!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

AmericanAirFan

Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:37 am

I forgot the name of the book but it was a 200 page chapter book about a pilot who started out when he went on a plane at 20 years old to help rescue some one later on he become a captain of a vickers then a 727 and then Air Canada had just bought 767's and he was chosen to be one of the first 767 pilots and the confussion of pounds and kilograms with the mechanics confusion and a faulty guage the 767 runs out of fuel and does an emergency landing at a small airport in wennipeg sorry I forgot the name but its a good book if anyone knows the name can they tell me?

-AmericanAirFan
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"