mdl412

Advice On Binoculars For Spotting

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:04 am

Hello everybody. I'm hoping to upgrade my Minolta 8x25 binoculars to something a little more robust for watching planes. Basically, I was considering zoom units under $120 or so. What kind of optics do you personally use when spotting? I'm thinking I need binoculars that have a good zoom, aren't TOO huge (to keep a lower profile so the airport cops don't bother me about them), and have accurate color representation (no tinting). The size of the lenses doesn't matter too much, since whenever I spot, there's plenty of outdoor sunlight that can saturate into the lenses anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions. I know that with zoom over 7x or so, a stand will need to be used to prevent jittering. Therefore, the set ought to have a tripod-mount.

GPHOTO

RE: Advice On Binoculars For Spotting

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:43 am

Just to add to the question from MDL412, it is possible to get binoculars with image stabilisation. Does anyone have these? Do they work? How do they work?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy and are they worth the price?

Regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:13 am

*great* question -- I've often wondered this myself.

Any advice would be great!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

timz

Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:06 am

I'd say most people can handhold 10x binoculars okay; I've never used them, but I'm guessing image-stabilized 10x binoculars aren't worth it. But 18x and 20x may well be.

Do you wear glasses? If so, you may not want zoom binoculars. Indeed, any high-power binocular will likely be a pain with glasses.

If at all possible you should try binoculars before buying. But if it's not possible, and 10x is enough magnification, I recommend the 10 x 50 Orion Ultraviews-- especially if you wear glasses. Optically they're much better than you'd expect for $170.

PHLapproach

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:00 pm

GPHOTO- There most certaintly is image stabilization binocs. I used them on a friends boat way back when. I really liked em'. Sorry dont remember the company.