KCmike

A New PC For MFS

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Im buying a new Computer specifically for gaming. I want to get it specified so i can run Microsoft Flight Simulator without it "lagging" or being really so even with all of my add on features. As of now im looking at 512 RAM and a 128 Video card with Windows XP. Ive heard alot of people have had problems with XP. I personally have and am wondering if Windows Me would work better. Any suggestions is much appreciated,
Mike
Cleared for the option...

jamotcx

RE: A New PC For MFS

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:28 pm

Whos had probs with WinXP? I dont really know anyone who thinks that the old versions are better. I know that Win98SE was much more reliable than Me tho.

Ok right well basically your looking at 1024mb of ram rather than 512mb.

Your CPU should be above 2.5GHz, and a GeForce 4 (not an MX version) should be surfice.

Jamo

FlyingColours

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Well there is the CTD - Crash To Desktop problem that we all seem to have.

Personally I hate XP but since I'm stuck with it (Because Linux won't run FS9) I use it. Win MEA Middle East Airlines (Lebanon)">ME is a waste of space, I've had MEA Middle East Airlines (Lebanon)">ME and it just causes problems Windows '98 & '98SE are better.

Get Windows XP because most new hardware comes with XP drivers only, and it does have some good features - and some bad ones.

All Operating Systems have drawbacks.

A Intel P4 3GHz with a good graphics card will run FS9 smoothly.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

KiwiNanday

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:07 pm

Dell Dimension XPS
-or-
Alienware Area 51  Big thumbs up
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

LHR27C

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:44 am

Although OS doesn't make that much difference, try and get Windows XP. Apparently is 10x as stable as Windows 98, and 3x as stable as Windows 2000.

Hardware is more important, I would recommend getting 1GB RAM if you can. Extra RAM doesn't cost much more but you will notice the difference, for one thing it helps FS load quicker.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

jamotcx

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:04 pm

Well there is the CTD - Crash To Desktop problem that we all seem to have.

Am I just lucky then? I dont have that problem. FS2004 will run for days on end with no glitches. Even Alt-Tabing out of FS to use other progs while flying.

That only happend to me last year when I tried a new version of DirectX and NForce drivers which were buggy. But now they're all fixed up theres no probs.

Jamo