MarBergi

Transferring Files

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:30 pm

Hope somebody here can offer some advice. I'm waiting on my new PC to arrive and was making a list of files that I want to bring across to it from my old PC. They are mainly flightsim files, planes, textures etc. The only problem is that even after zipping them down I still have nearly 3 Gig. Is their any programs out their that will let me do a file transfer from PC to PC via a USB cable. Oh both machines are XP. Thanks in advance.

beowulf

RE: Transferring Files

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:23 am

Hi,

Some options I can think of ...

If your two PCs have both network interface cards (NICs), then you could create a network via a hub/switch/router or directly (with a crossed-out patch cabel) and simply transfer the files from 'puter A to B.

If your old PC has a DVD writer, burn a DVD; your new computer should have a least a DVD reader.

If you have an external hard-drive, then back up your data on that and copy it onto the new PC.

There is another method from serial-to-serial bus with a null-modem cabel.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you advice on the USB question.

Nick

P.S. - This thread should be in non-aviation.  Smile Let's hope it won't get deleted.

northstardc4m

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:41 am

USB networking IS possible, XP should allow you to set it up with a SPECIAL USB cable (see http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=b49c994deb9dd899&seekm=%23AiHPSu0BHA.2364%40tkmsftngp05&frame=off ).
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

concord977

Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:07 pm

I used a program recently and had great success with it. It is called "Ulimate PC Relocator". I moved over 16GB of data.

If you want more information, contact me via my profile.
No info