trijetfan1

How Do I Operate A Radio Scanner?

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:48 am

I just got one and I want to listen to CLE approach and I dont know gow to. PLease help!!! Thank YOU!!
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

Santhosh

RE: How Do I Operate A Radio Scanner?

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 am

Just punch in all the nearby frequencies that you know and store in the memory and scan. Well if you dont know the frequencies try searching in the Air Band Range (108-140). you will probably get it.

Good Luck,
George
Happy Landings :)

ordflyer

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:49 am

If you check http://www.airnav.com/airports/ you can put in an airport and it will come up with detailed info about that airport, including all frequencies. Just punch the desired frequencies into your scanner according to your scanner's instructions and you should be up and running. Keep in mind that depending on your distance from the airport, you will probably only be able to hear the airplane transmissions, not the ground transmissions.
happy scanning!

trijetfan1

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:54 am

I was wondering how close do I have to be to the airport to sucessfully hear transmissions? ( I am about 30-40 miles away from CLE)
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

Santhosh

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:25 pm

For getting the Approach and control radar transmissions 30 to 40 miles is a pretty good distance. But if you are capable if attaching and external antenna then i bet you will get far more out of your scanner. Either buy an external antenna if you can afford or just make one. Old TV antenna would be enough. You just have to buy a jack to connect it to the scanner. I did it the same way and good extremely good results out of it.

Regards,
George
Happy Landings :)

ordflyer

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:57 am

I was wondering how close do I have to be to the airport to sucessfully hear transmissions? ( I am about 30-40 miles away from CLE)
I live about that same distance from ORD and hear the aircraft transmissions on the approach frequency quite well, however since these frequencies are line of sight that is too far to hear the ground transmissions unless perhaps you have a big enough antenna. I'm just using a stock antenna now, I don't have exerpience with external antennas. I've been meaning to get one but haven't yet.

trijetfan1

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:46 am

Yeah im getting nothing guys. Does it matter which channel iom on. Theres a hundred. Please tell what CLE operates on.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

ordflyer

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:21 am

Scanners can admitedly be a bit tricky to operate at first. Without knowing exactly which scanner you have, it sounds like the channels you are referring to are the scanner's built in memory channels. Scanners have a set number of memory channels to store radio frequencies, it could be 100 channels in your case. If you have your scanner instruction book, look for something along the lines of how to input a frequency into a memory channel. You can store all the frequencies for CLE or wherever you wish, and once they are stored in a memory channel they will be saved and it is easy to switch between them.
Here are some approach frequencies for you to try, from http://www.airnav.com
CLEVELAND APPROACH: 119.625, 123.85, 124.0, 126.55

trijetfan1

Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:05 am

Hey ORDflyer, thank you so much for the help! I need some more however and I wondering if you have an instant messanger screen name so we can talk?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

ordflyer

Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:52 am

I sent you an email message.