b757lvr

Help! With Auto Pilot In FS9

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:22 pm

Ok guys.. I'm new to flight sim and need some guidance here!!

Scenario :

I take off from BDL-ORD --- upon reaching about 3000 feet I set the auto pilot and auto throttle...a/c settles nicely and I continue my flight, land at ORD taxi to gate and shortly after that I try to continue to another dest.

As far as I am aware the a/c is in right config for take off...

flaps set to 10 ( in this instance )
alt set to 7000 / 1800 fpm
speed set to climb 280
a/c b737
fair weather

as soon as I turn on the auto pilot .. the aircraft goes into an immediate dive.. and I can only level it out manually... I can't seem to figure out what it is I am doing wrong from my first flight.... what am I missing here??

If I reset my flight then I have no problem... just can't seem to take off and land and then later get back in the air..  Sad

LHR27C

RE: Help! With Auto Pilot In FS9

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:28 am

Are you flying an ILS approach to your first destination and leaving the APR button on by accident? Just a thought. Personally I don't tend to fly more than one flight in FS at a time. Also check the trim settings although the AP should handle these anyway...
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

MarcoB2

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:44 am

I had a similar problem once.

I had an ILS approach with autopilot with a B747-400, and then I taxied at the end of the rwy and took off another time. Well, I mistakenly turned off the auto-throttle thinking that I was disactivating the autopilot. So the autopilot was still on, set for the ILS approach. When I applied full thrust and gained the necessary roll speed the plane wasn't responding to my commands and kept gaining speed. Then I ended up crushing and wiped out an entire village  Smokin cool

Marco.

b757lvr

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:15 am

thanks guys...when I start the 2nd leg of the trip.. the auto pilot is off... the auto throttle is off..... my take off is normal except for when I try to activate the auto pilot... then the aircraft just dives uncontrollably... the nav button is off .... I only have the heading and the altitude set ....

LHR27C

Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:21 am

The only thing I can suggest then is to save the flight when you are on the ground at your 1st destination, then exit FS and reload that saved point. Cumbersome but could well fix it...
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

ZKSUJ

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:26 am

It happens to me, just disengage everything, wait for about 5 seconds and engage in this order:

-Heading Hold FIRST
-Auitopilot MARTER SWITCH SECOND
-Altitude THIRD
-and then the sutothrottle and speed.

Don't ask me why but it seems to work for me.

b757lvr

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:52 am

thanks.. I'll try this out.. thanks for the suggestions guys !!