NWADC9
Topic Author

Airline Postcards

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:01 am

Where in the world do you get those things!?!??!?!!??!?!?? Now, obviously you can just go on eBay and there you go, but I want to get it from the AIRLINE. Where do you get them?
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

FlyingColours

RE: Airline Postcards

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:19 am

Don't they sell them onboard the aircraft?

I got a Flying Colours one, but a pilot brought that into school as part of a recruitment drive years ago.

I know the charter airlines over here sell them onboard as part of the inflight shop but I'm not sure what the scheduled carriers do over in the US.

Perhaps you could contact the airline and ask if they have any promotional material etc... most are usually more than happy to send you some.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

European

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:52 am

I get loads of Postcards, Just write to some airlines, asking if they sell any and When i have done so, i have recieved some, an airline based in my home Airport, European, Have sent me loads of Postcards.

Here are the Airlines that i can remember that have given them to me in 2004.

FRONTIER
British Airways
European Aviation Aircharter (Loads, as written to them quite a lot)
Flybe
Lufthansa (18 postcards)
Cyprus & EuroCypria
Turkish
Virgin Atlantic

They are just the airlines that have given me postcards in 2004, many more airlines have given them to me a few years ago, Like British Midland (o/c) and Monarch (o/c) are just some of those airlines.

You can also get postcards in little Shops inside airport over here in the UK.

Hope i have helped you.

European
Jimmi
Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........

CactusA319

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:25 am

Another good place to find them (and where I get most of mine) are at airline memorabilia shows.

NWADC9
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:46 am

Where do I contact the airline and ask them? And is it free?
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

futureuapilot

Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:58 am

I would assume you would just go to the airline website and email customer service, if there nice they should send it to you for free...

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

NWADC9
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:18 pm

Oh, Secretary! I have a job for you! Big grin

Russophile

Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:41 pm

Or you can go here:

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZrussianQ2daviationQQsorecordsperpageZ200QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Selling over 1,000 for low prices -- NT$34 = US$1

BTW -- these days the airlines are getting stingy. US airlines don't help anyone. Middle Eastern and Asian airlines to some extent will help. European airlines are the best bet. Africa, Australia, South America, Caribbea, Central America and Russia -- basically don't even bother writing to them.

SmithAir747

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:29 am

If you're looking for vintage airline postcards, here's a site just full of them:

America's Postcard Post (run by a Larry Myers):
http://www.postcardpost.com

I've done lots of business with Larry Myers at this website for years, and the site lists all eras of airline postcards--from the old propliners to today's jumbo jets. Also, there are lots of airport postcards--chances are your hometown airport has some listed there, too!

I have a sizable stack of 747 postcards from the PostcardPost website, and recently, Larry Myers helped me find an old FWA (Fort Wayne--Baer Field Municipal Airport) postcard!

Larry Myers and his PostcardPost website--I would HIGHLY recommend for vintage airline/airport postcards!

I hope this is of help!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

MADtoCAE

Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:15 am

NWADC9,
Did you ever get them?
Operator!!! Give me the number for 911!!

NWADC9
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:22 am

My secretary (FutureUAPilot) was supposed to do it for me Big grin

MADtoCAE

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:50 am

What airlines are did you get them from?

NWADC9
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:28 am

He didn't do anything, so I'm gonna find some NWA ones on eBay...

I'm tryin' to get FutureUAPilot to get me some HP ones, but he's busy Big grin

futureuapilot

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:50 pm

I'm sorry i'm taking so long... but you have to pay me BEFORE i will start work!  Big grin From previous experience, emailing the airlines for memorabelia will only work with HP.

-Sam

The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

NWADC9
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Do I have to pay the airline for the postcards and other memorabilia?

MADtoCAE

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 pm

Hey, LH just told me no...

NWADC9
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:16 am

FREEBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Now all I need is to know who I email, and I'm good to go Big grin

n949wp

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:19 am

Don't just send a mail simply asking for freebies, or you'll never hear from them again! You'll have to work at it.

Try and cook up a nice little letter laced with a good bit of flattery. Search for any recent positive news/developments at that airline and use it as a talking point. If you can recount any personal memories with them or an "unforgettable" flight with them, it's probably even better. After all that sweet-talking, then it's time to mention any memorabilia (e.g. postcards) which they might have.

A few years ago, some of my friends sent out dozens of such letters to every major airline around the world they can think of. Mind you, real letters, not just e-mails (some $$ expense required, but they probably came across as a bit more sincere, especially in this day and age when few people write anymore). Naturally, a fair bit of customization of the letters were required for different airlines, so you can imagine the work required.

The results aren't too shabby either. Although many didn't respond or just sent back standard form-letters, a good number of them did send back at least something (postcards, sticker, buttons, etc). I recall the most generous of them all was the old Swissair, with one of my friend receiving a package with postcards, poster, Swiss chocolates, and even a small Swissair backpack!!!

Not sure how many airlines still print their own postcards nowadays or are still well-off enough to send such goodies, but it's worth the try. You never know what you might find in your mailbox one of these afternoons you got home from school!!

'949

NWADC9
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:30 am

I bidded on a Hawaiian Airlines 767-300ER postcard on eBay, and won! Now I'm gonna bid on an Ozark DC-9, and so I have at least SOMETHING Big grin