Sabena 690
Topic Author

Roma Fiumicino Spotting Question

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:20 am

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some feedback on spotting in Roma FCO.

My planned routing would be something like this (a daytrip):
BRU-MXP
MXP-FCO (arriving at 11:30)
FCO-MXP (leaving at 18:20)
MXP-BRU

There is also a possibility that I skip the stopover in MXP on the return, and take the direct SN Brussels flight to BRU.

So I have about 7 hours in FCO for spotting.

1) which gates do AZ usually use for domestic flights?
2) is it possible to see the actif runway from those gates?
3) is there a vantage point in the airside part of the terminal which is good for registration spotting?
4) can I, with a boarding pass for a domestic flight, access the terminal for International departures?

All feedback would be much appreciated! The aim of my trip is for registration spotting purposes, so I need a place from where I have a good overview of the airport.

Thanks in advance!
Frederic

[Edited 2005-02-28 17:25:21]

Established02

RE: Roma Fiumicino Spotting Question

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:57 am

Hello Frederic,

I flew BRU-FCO-BRU a few weeks ago with SN. I spent little time at the airport, so my impressions are not complete.

http://www.adr.it/content.asp?L=3&idmen=199/

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alberto Riva

> 1) which gates do AZ usually use for domestic flights?

Mainly Terminal A, but possibly also Terminal B. Terminal A is separated from Terminal B on the landside, but they may be connected on the airside.

> 2) is it possible to see the actif runway from those gates?

Yes, but from a (large?) distance.

> 3) is there a vantage point in the airside part of the terminal which is good for registration spotting?

In Terminal B (airside) there are large windows with a view on the traffic movements. On the landside there is also a view on the ramp in the restaurant upstairs.

4) can I, with a boarding pass for a domestic flight, access the terminal for International departures?

I don't know. In an airport like HEL it is possible to simply walk from the Schengen zone into the domestic zone without having to go through checks.

Have fun in Italy.

Edwin

Contact Air

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:25 am

Hi Frederic,

I visited FCO in early 2004. I departed with AZ from Terminal B (internationel) to STR, so I can't say anything about Termianl A airside. However, there are some decent views for reg-spotting landside which can be reached without holding a boarding pass: the McDonald's in Terminal A and two cefeterias in Terminal B, both equipped with large glass fronts. If you visit both locations, you can spot the majority of the apron and most parking positions. The runway is quite far away, but if you stay for some time, you will see most planes while taxiing.

There is a map on the homepage of Rome Airport Authorities:

http://www.adr.it/content.asp?l=3&idmen=202

It shows that both Terminals are close, but I have no idea if you can get through... I wish you a lot of fun anyway!

Christoph

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:09 am

Hi Edwin and Christophe,

Thanks for your answers!

After looking at the pro's and con's, I decided against a long lay-over at FCO, and will now spend the biggest part of the day at MXP, and return via FCO to BRU.

@Edwin: may we expect a trip report? Big grin

Regards
Frederic