JAT
Topic Author

Joystick Question

Mon May 02, 2005 3:25 am

I haven't played FS in years, and I'd like to try again. I have a pretty old joystick (i.e. non-USB) which I used to plug into the back of my sound card. However, my current sound card has no port for the joystick. The only free ports I do have are serial ports. Is there any kind of adaptor I can buy? If so, where?

Thanks

jwenting

RE: Joystick Question

Mon May 02, 2005 5:23 am

You can get a gameport to USB adapter to plug your stick into a USB port.
You might also need a USB hub for that if you don't have a free USB port (in that case plug the hub, powered ones are best) into your PC and plug devices into the hub.

I prefer powered 7 port hubs. They're hard to find (strangely most stores only sell 4 port hubs and often only unpowered ones) but if you end up with a lot of USB devices you'd otherwise get a LOT of hubs.
I wish I were flying

Morvious

Mon May 02, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting JAT (Thread starter):
I haven't played FS in years

Shame on you Big grin.. You don't play FS  Wink

I suggest a cheap USB stick. No need to calibrate it, and there are some realy cheap ones availible.
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

777DadandJr

Mon May 02, 2005 9:38 am

Quoting Morvious (Reply 2):
I suggest a cheap USB stick. No need to calibrate it, and there are some realy cheap ones availible.

I concure. Buy a new USB joystick. They're not that expensive and it will save you alot of hassle.
Chances are that your old joystick will not work with a usb/gamport adapter. I had that situation happen before. I mean the adapter will fit, but your joystick probably still won't work.

And yes.....

Quoting Morvious (Reply 2):
Shame on you Big grin.. You don't play FS

rotfl 

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

flymia

Mon May 02, 2005 10:44 am

Get a cheap USB joystick. With all the hassle and even money for adaptors and all just get yourself a nice new one. Or get one from Ebay. You can even find a cheap yoke on e-bay.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Amy

Mon May 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Get a Microsoft Sidewinder if poss, mine's been going strong since 1998!
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

JAT
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2005 1:29 pm

I'm so sorry, I haven't FLOWN in a long time. See how out of it I am?? Yeah, a new joystick was my first thought. I agree it seems like the most hassle-free option. The one I have is a Logitech Wingman Attack. Are current Logitech sticks any good? I've seen them for $30, pretty reasonable.

jwenting

Mon May 02, 2005 4:40 pm

cheap sticks are worse than no sticks. They wear out rapidly, poor control accuracy, rapid loss of callibration.
I wish I were flying

dreamer

Mon May 02, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi,
I bought this one Logitech Extreme 3D PRO Joy-/flightstick and am pretty happy with it http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=121033&cks=PRL

and it is cheap, works fine and doesn't need any SW to work. I really like the tophat switch making viewing in all directions very easy. And it has ruder control by twisting.

There are better ones and more expesive ones, but why bother unless you want it to be like a real plane with throttle and all.

My  twocents 
still dreaming after all these years

777DadandJr

Tue May 03, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting Amy (Reply 5):
Get a Microsoft Sidewinder

I will also concure on this suggestion. I have a Sidewinder 3D Pro and my son has my old (and 1st) Sidewinder.

Not only are they good sticks, but they are also hassle free installation with XP. Just plug and play (and it works!)

My God, when was the last time you heard that when refering to Microsoft!
 rotfl 

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

aerlingus330

Tue May 03, 2005 12:55 am

I have a PCLine joystick...Pretty cheap at £10 (got it in a sale at P.C World). It works fine and I am pleased with it.

AerLingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

Morvious

Tue May 03, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 7):
cheap sticks are worse than no sticks. They wear out rapidly, poor control accuracy, rapid loss of callibration

Correct (depends on the brant though), but if he has to buy an adapter it will cost him money to, and he doesn't even know if it works.

Like he said, he is just trying if he is intrested again in FS. A cheap USB stick is the fastest and easiest way to do that in my oppinion.

If you are a real die hard, try the sidewinder 2 (or something).. I used it to before, and I was very pleased with it..
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

milan320

Thu May 12, 2005 3:27 am

I've got a Saitek Cyborg Evo. I'm pretty happy with it, but it cost a bit. however, I've noticed it looses the calibration quite fast. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers!
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)