boeingpride800

Viewing Aircraft Through Binoculars

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:31 am

Hi. I just wanted to say something about this. Lately, I have been listening to ATC on my radioshack scanner. I bought a pare of good small binoculars. Every time I see an aircraft overhead I can see them really good. And I can even just make out the planes that are @ 30,000 feet.
I recently viewd a United 777 o/c. I could tell because of the wing shape, dark blue, and the silver streaks on the belly of the old colors. I also saw an A319 with red, white, and blue tail. I wasn't sure what that was. Today I saw a United n/c Boeing 737. It could have been a B6 A320 but pretty sure it was UA. I also saw a MD-80 maybe Delta. What have you guys seen? I also wanted to know if this would work better if I got a telescope. Thanks.

Birdwatching

RE: Viewing Aircraft Through Binoculars

Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:54 am

Well, you could use a telescope, but you have to keep in mind that the closer you "zoom" in to the bird, the faster it will move, or the more precisely you have to move your telescope to keep up with it. But since you will be on a tripod, and you have a lot of leverage when moving, you might be better off than with a handheld binocular. The most tricky part IMO is finding the bird in the first place. You might end up in the neighbor's bathroom window. Damn... been there, done that...
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

msp753nwa

Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:56 am

Hi, I have 20x70 binoculars, what are yours? I can see them landing on 12L and 12R. And the place where I work (and live) in the summer I can see the departures from I think the 12s. So a lot of NW.

Birdwatching, Hey that was an "accident". Big grin  Wink

Matt
Going Boeing

boeingpride800

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:22 am

I don't have much. Mine are 8X21.

san747

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:42 am

When I'm at my grampa's house, I go into his backyard and take out the binoculars... If visibility is good, I can see departures from SAN, which is at least 10 miles away from his house... Can't identify an airline from that distance, but definitely type... Also, some A/C on approach to SAN fly over, and I can recognize airline and type... It's fun when I can't actually go to the airport to take pix...
Scotty doesn't know...

jamesbuk

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:17 pm

i dont need binoculars even though ive got them because im under the main flight path to spain and that way from luton and some times heathrow !!
the planes fly over at 10,000ft i can tell this as at night you see them turn off the landing lights over my way
yesterday i saw a virgin 747 lol
a a340 not sure on airline looked lufthansa
10x easyjet 738
3X easyjet a318 i think or a319 cant remeber what they operatea
also unidentified 757's a330 767's

alot of my friends call me sad as i can look up and say oh look theres a a340 heading south and changing heading to ...
but i call it a talent
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Newark777

Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:58 am

alot of my friends call me sad as i can look up and say oh look theres a a340 heading south and changing heading to ...

Haha, I know what you mean. Sometimes while walking out to my car, I will say something like, "Oh, there's the SAS A330 coming in." I look down and everyone just has a confused look on their faces. Big grin

I also can tell what runway is being used at EWR depending on what direction the planes are flying over our school, and that also tends to freak people out.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Continental

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 pm

I don't need binoculars as well as I live under an approach path to 30L at MSP. Now with the new N/S runways coming in, they will be on final over my house. Either way, I do own a nice pair of binoculars. Let's just say I can read the lettering on the aircraft (name of airline, not reg.) and I can definitely see all the windows!!