trijetfan1

ILS Approaches Help Please

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Im getting tired of doing VFR landings with an A330. Someone please give a step by step process of an ILS approach because im cluless.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

IanatSTN

RE: ILS Approaches Help Please

Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:21 pm

This should get you started....

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

I recommend you get proficient in doing ILS approaches in a smaller/slower aircraft before attempting it with the heavy iron, in the big jets everything goes so much quicker. Once you have the basics, however, you should not have too much of a problem.

Cheers,
Ian.
Ian@STN ::

ZKSUJ

Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 pm

If you still need a hand, drop me an email and I'll end you some stuff.

milan320

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:04 am

I use the PSS A330, but of course it should be standard.
Once ATC gives you the runway (if you're using ATC, unless you're using STARs from the MCDU menu), select ILS on your descend. Make sure FD is on also. Then hit the LOC button on the FMC. It might not turn on, so keep trying. Seems it will turn on once you're close enough to it. PFD should read LOC also in blue. Hit approach on MCDU. Once you're close to the LOC, it will turn green and you'll see LOC* then LOC with a box around it, and when you intercept it, it will appear green and you'll see LOC. Below that, you will see G/S in blue. When you see LOC in green, select flaps 1 and hit approach (make sure you don't have NAV set anymore). Now it's up to you, you can let the AP fly it in, when G/S interception is reached, you will see G/S in green. I usually set flaps to 2 at this point when the G/S is in the middle of the PFD. When I see the runway, I turn off the AP and hand-fly it in. Watch your altitude, you want the maker to say in the middle on the alititude and the middle-line marker in the middle. Flaps should be set to 3 and then full, but you should know when to do it from your VFR landings.

Hope this helps!
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)