LHR27C
Topic Author

Pmdg 747-400 Released!

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, PMDG's eagerly anticipated 747-400 has now been released! You can buy it (then download - your FS PC must have an internet connection by the look of it) from www.precisionmanuals.com .

Price is $54.95 (about £31) which is quite hefty for an FS add on but most likely worth it, considering this aircraft has been under development for 18 months.

Happy flying!

Oliver
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

IanatSTN

RE: Pmdg 747-400 Released!

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:51 pm

Sounds fantastic!

Im gonna hang off for a while to see what others think of it, but I'm sure if its anything like the 737NG its gonna be awesome!

Thanks for the heads up...

Cheers,
Ian.
Ian@STN ::

ZKSUJ

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:52 pm

I'll get it as soon as the price falls a bit. Looks and sounds great.

jamman

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:43 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 2):
I'll get it as soon as the price falls a bit. Looks and sounds great.

Same here going to hang back, £25 would be a more realistic price methinks!
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

Ready4Pushback

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:22 pm

I think quite a few people are going to have to wait around for it. I've tried buying it, but the website is completely swamped. I've typed in my credit card number (took me 5 hours to get there) and got the dreaded "page cannot be displayed" error - so I don't have the plane and I think I may have been charged.

Also, Avsim.com forums seem to be completely swamped as well - running very slow and getting lots of database errors.

Having seen the pictures and read some of the manual, I can understand why everyone wants it, but I think they could have handled the release alittle better than they have to be honest.

atco

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 pm

Quoting Ready4Pushback (Reply 4):
I think they could have handled the release alittle better than they have to be honest.

Absolutely, they only had to read their own forums to see what kind of demand there was going to be for this.
I think its pretty poor to have people getting halfway through the ecommerce and not being able to complete their download while they sit and wonder "have I been billed or not?".

I will not attempt to go through the purchase again (not able to get even to the checkout for the past 2 hours) until I can be sure I can get all the way to the end without being booted out of the site.

The lack of ability to handle this release has really surprised me
Canon through and through

Ready4Pushback

Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Atco (Reply 5):

V true. I think one thing they certainly could have done before the release was to tell people who intended to buy it to go off to their eCommerce site and create an account for themselves - that would have cut down on traffic to and from the server when the product was actually released.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed people today. Anyway - I cannot even look at this until the weekend so I may as well leave off until then.

Incidentally, Avsim have now taken their forums offline completely.

Erwin972

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting Atco (Reply 5):
The lack of ability to handle this release has really surprised me

Do any of you remember the complete chaos when the 737 service packs were released? It took many many days to get through to the server for a download.

Anyway, in a week or two/three things will calm down.

Kind regards,
Erwin
My gear: Nikon, Sony, Red, Sachtler etc.

LFutia

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:05 am

I quote Avsim: "AVSIM Forums Problems

Posted: Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 18:01
Due to what appears to be extreme demand related to a recent product release, our forums service has had a few problems today.

We have now restored the service, but it remains at risk, and may go offline at any time. We have also had to disable the PMDG Support Forum due to exceptional levels of demand impacting the remainder of our forums service.

The AVSIM Technical Staff"

hmmm... wonder what was released today??? LOL... i know i know.
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

David L

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting LFutia (Reply 8):
We have also had to disable the PMDG Support Forum due to exceptional levels of demand

I can just see it... someone's probably had it for 5 minutes and is already asking "without reading the manuals, how do I fly it?".

MD11junkie

Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:35 am

This is the new message...

Quote:
AVSIM Forums unavailable

Due to excessive load caused by the PMDG release, the forums are currently unavailable.

There is no precise estimate for when they will be available again at this time.

They really need to work out on the price and that stupid thing of putting the -400F as a 30 buck upgrade... I hope they market it a lot better for the MD-11

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

Ready4Pushback

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 10):
They really need to work out on the price and that stupid thing of putting the -400F as a 30 buck upgrade... I hope they market it a lot better for the MD-11

The demand on their servers seem to suggest that most people don't have a problem with the price, so.....

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 10):
They really need

....is probably wrong!

The message on the PMDG main site is:

Quote:
Due to heavy server volume, we are temporarily preventing access to the shopping cart. Please check back soon

...so it looks as though it's stopped selling for a while. I reckon it probably is to give the folks that have sucessfully bought it a chance to install their product (since the installer also need to contact their website).

BritPilot777

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:48 am

Anyone know roughly when we can expect her on CD?
Forever Flight

CX881

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:00 am

Hey Guys -
Like BritPilot777 was asking, when is this thing going to be able to be purchase on CD version? I like having it that way so that I can have the CD and its easier to download onto the computer.

Thanks,
Daniel
CX881
747-400 - FOREVER THE QUEEN OF THE SKIES!!!

Erwin972

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:09 am

"Customer resonse to the release of our PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies has far exceeded expectations.

As a result, in order to provide the level of service we expect from our company, it is necessary to take the entire server offline for reconfiguration in order to handle the unexpected demand.

During this period you will not be able to purchase or download any products from PMDG. We regret the inconvenience, we are working quickly to resolve the problem, and do not expect it to be a lengthy upgrade.

Please check back after 0030Z/03AUG05"

BritPilot777

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:16 am

How can they have not expected it?! Their 737's sold like hot cakes! Strange eh??
Forever Flight

FriendlySkies

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:29 am

$55?! I'll stay with MelJet....

LHR27C
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:49 am

Yep it seems this high demand really caught AVSIM and PMDG by surprise! I will steer well clear of downloading it until the demand settles down...

Don't expect a CD version for a while. The Aerosoft version for the 737NG took a long time to come out. This subject came up on the PMDG forums sometime ago, it was stated that they have no firm contract with Aerosoft for the 744.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

BA767s

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:15 am

Ahhh crap! Was going to download this afternoon but had to go to Ikea and now look, got home and it says I have to wait! Grrr damn Ikea nd ur flat packs. Oh well jus gives me more time to read the ops manuals :P Check back to PMDG at 01:30 guys nd girls!

John  

[Edited 2005-08-02 23:18:14]
Come on, let's fly!

David L

Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:02 am

How terrible am I? With all the hoohah going on about the Air France crash in Toronto and given that reports were starting to flood in that everyone had survived, it occurred to me that while half the world and his dog was on the Civil Aviation discussions, the PMDG site might be quieter. How right I was. I've downloaded the manual and some liveries!

It'll take half the night for the manual to print so I'll start reading it tomorrow and probably try to buy it early next week. I've got people coming over at the weekend and if I download it before then, there's no way I'll have the place ready for them!

jumboforever

Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:47 am

Well I could download and install it yesterday and I wanted to write about it but with the Air France crash I though it was a little bit displaced to write about this.

Now that we know that there are no casualties I feel a little bit more comfortable to write about the PMDG 744. But first, if there is a God out-there, whatever you call it I guess we should all pray to thank Him for the saving theses passenger.

To come back to the 744, first I guess I'm was lucky as I could download it as soon as it had been released. I just check the PMDG homepage before leaving my office yesterday night (Japan time) and I downloaded it immediately as I was expecting their server to be pretty busy later. I wouldn't imagine their server was going to overheat that much though.

As for the soft in itself, it's difficult to get an opinion on such a complex A/C as I only tried it for a couple of hours. I'm a big fan of the LSD767 and I can say that the 744 is at least equal in quality. The models are great, the panels (2D and VC) are very sharp and easy to read. I did a short flight from HND to FUK and the FMC and autopilot behaved perfectly. A truly good experience. I'll try a longer flight after work tonight.

However it's pricey! 54.99$ is a lot. I expected a price around 50$ however. Is it worth it. Well I guess it depends on people. You can guess by my login name that I'm biased for the 747 so I didn't mind paying.

Hope the PMDG website will be back online quickly so that you can enjoy it too.

If you have any question go ahead.

JumboForever

FiddleSticks

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 16):

Agreed, I can't bring myself to spend more money on one single aircraft than FS cost in the first place.
If you love yourself, go now to western union and send me the sum of $10,000 to save your life.

David L

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:47 pm

I didn't pay much less than that for their 737 and I reckon it was worth it. The 747 is supposed to be better, and looks as though it is, so I'll have no hesitation in buying it.

I don't quite understand the common comparison between the price of an add-on and the price of FS. FS provides a framework, add-ons provide features that individual users particularly want. I suppose if you want to fly every aircraft under the sun then you probably shouldn't spend much on any of them - the same with scenery. Since I bought the PMDG 737, I've hardly flown anything else. It'll probably be the same with the 747... and eventually the PSS Condorde (or equivalent)!

justplanecrazy

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:03 pm

If PMDG's 747 is as good as their 737NG then the price is a bargain.I remember just a few years ago in 2000 when adds were laughable because they were so bad and yet people were spending the same kind of money on them. Imagine how much people in the year 2000 would have spent for todays quality add ons.I think were very lucky.  bouncy 
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

David L

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 23):
just a few years ago in 2000 when adds were laughable because they were so bad

So true. There was one publisher (can't remember the name) whose installation processes were so bad that it was talked about in magazines. They threatened to sue, rather than apologising or addressing the issues. I had to install one title manually and gave up on a second. I ended up throwing all their stuff out and they didn't seem to last much longer. Their titles weren't much cheaper than PMDG's.

lorm

Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:04 pm

Quoting Jamman (Reply 3):
Same here going to hang back, �25 would be a more realistic price methinks!

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 16):

Quoting FiddleSticks (Reply 21):

Agreed, I can't bring myself to spend more money on one single aircraft than FS cost in the first place.

I'm going to quote Lou Betti from a very well done and insightful 4 page interview done by Joe M. Besser, published in the MAY/JUNE 2005 PC PILOT magazine published in the UK, . It is available in newsstand everywhere and I think it's worthy of a read from anyone interested in FS.

In case you don't know who Lou Betti is, he is one of the members of developers Dreamfleet. DFleet has developed many high quality FS add ons such as the DFleet 737-400, DFleet Archer, more recently, the DFleet 727, and co-developer the Flight1 ATR-72.

Lou Betti has a long response, however hopefully the moderators will allow me to quote this one question and answer from the interview, because I think that the general FS public audience and add on purchasers does not know and should understand just how much money, time, effort, hard work, programming, coding, de-bugging, and beta testing goes into making high fidelity and realism add on aircraft that Dreamfleet and many other high quality development groups like PMDG, Flight1, Level D, Real Air do. Read below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"PC PILOT: In view of the increasing complexity of airliner add-ons and correspondingly longer development times, do you foresee a time when the price of add-ons rise beyond the accepted price points?"

"Lou Betti: This relates to the previous question concerning unrealistic expectations.

Frankly, most FS add-ons provided exceptional value and most are dramatically under priced! The problem is that some users make the mistake of comparing the cost of the add-on to the cost of Flight Simulator itself. These individuals reason that FS costs £ 50 and provides all these aircraft and so on, while an add-on might provided only one aircraft and can cost as much as half as much. Thus they feel that for the price they pay for the add-on they should be getting almost the real thing in every respect. This is flawed logic and here's why..

Any given version of Flight Simulator sells in the neighborhood of a million copies. The average FS add-on sells, less sometimes much less, than 1% of that amount; yet substitutal labour - thousands of hours - is still involved in production. If we knew we could sell an add-on in even 10% of the numbers that Microsoft sells of FS, we could dramatically reduce the price while increasing the work going into adding to realism and features.

If customers want us to continue to narrow that margin between simulation and reality the best thing they can do is buy, buy and buy. The more we can sell the lower the price can be and profits will then exist to pay for the added labour necessary to increase the realism. Trust me those developers who are also businessmen, like myself will respond as I've described above. Those developers who do not will quickly find they are making a big mistake! The wisest thing an FS user can do is consider Flight Simulator as nothing more than an operating system or a foundation. We all know that an OS often costs much less than the average software installed on it; you can pay £ 100 for and Windows XP Home and then spend £ 600 on Adobe Photoshop or £ 100 on Paintshop Pro.

Operating systems are far more complex than the software installed on them, yet they cost less. Why? Because so many more copies of them are sold.

We need more customers at the current price levels and. if we can realize this, then prices will fall while realism will increase an an even greater rate. Developers who work with one another and also take this advantage of their own built-ion economics of scale can help stem price increases even at current sales levels. We are trying to do this currently. However, this only takes us so far and if the FS community continues to ask for more while not buying more, well the prices will continue to rise.

Increasing prices is not just in the developers' hands, but mostly the customers' hands. It is they who ask/expect more from us, and if you ask for more you will either have to buy more copies at the current prices or pay more at the current sales levels."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does all this mean? For an add on like the Flight1 ATR 72 that was developed with the manufacturer ATR's full assistance at their facility in France (time in the full motion sim, blueprint access, factory access, ramp access etc...) you can have probably the best simulation outside a multi-million dollar full motion level d training sim for $40-60 bucks!

Heck last year I spent time at UAs TK Denver Training center's full motion level D simulators that were opened up to AVSIM conference atendees because one of UA's pilots was so impressed by an FS add-on. Same with PMDG, and Dreamfleet, you're not paying just for a pretty FS aircraft model, the gauges and systems are modelled to the limits of what FS allows.

You should see some of the massive amount of XML and gauge programming (and dont forget de-bugging and testing) that goes into recreating a Boeing, Airbus or an ATR type FMS or autopilot in FS just to function like the real thing, probably nearly as much as that goes into the real aircraft system itself. With the PMDG 737 you could fly DME arcs, and even the VNAV and LNAV functioned like the real thing. PMDG's 747 looks like it will continue on the 737NGs success, I think I'll have to free up some HD space and re-install FS 2004 and check it out. Right now it's a good time to be a simmer
-LorM

[Edited 2005-08-03 13:34:58]
Brick Windows

David L

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:02 pm

Nice one, LorM. I think those who think the next FS should have far more aircraft, more detailed scenery at every airport, moving traffic on the highways, etc., cost $30 and still run smoothly on a low-spec PC should also read that!

I'm only halfway through the first section of the 747 manual and and I've already found a few improvements over the 737. Quite frankly, I'd pay a bit more for this (don't tell PMDG). I want it now!

Ready4Pushback

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting LHR27C (Reply 17):
Yep it seems this high demand really caught AVSIM and PMDG by surprise! I will steer well clear of downloading it until the demand settles down...

I have been trying to buy and download now since it was released, and have only just managed to do it. their site seems to be much more responsive now - although lots of people will soon begin to realise that and it may get slower. i can't wait to get home from work and check it out, although my ex wants to go and see War of the Worlds tonight. Bummer!

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 23):
PMDG's 747 is as good as their 737NG then the price is a bargain.

I couldn't agree more. I love their stuff, and I really think that it is a case of us buying into a "hoppy market" where there isn't much of a market for this stuff (in real world terms) but alot of effort required. Even though these may not be free, I still think that they deserve a pat on the back for putting effort into our hobby. I really think I would have ditched MSFS before now had the likes of LDS, PMDG and PSS not be there producing really good complex payware for the likes of me. Anyway - I always think discussing things like this is a bit of a waste of time - at the end of the day it's about economics, if there are people there who think it is worth it and buy into it, there will always be payware, and PMDG will be justified in their pricing. It's not a case of anyone on this site thinking it's either worth or or it's not - you make your feelings clear with your credit card.

BA767s

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:40 pm

Hoorah Its downloading! Ill keep you guys updated on how the whole process went! Laters..

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

Erwin972

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:33 am

Good news here too: downloading now!  Smile

Kind regards,
Erwin

Espion007

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:02 am

Holy s#$t! Im looking at the details on the site and I feel like buying this thing even though Ive only paid for payware once (cause im cheap  Wink ).All the detail makes the meljet model look like crap Big grin Although If anyone has been able to already get it, how does it impact the framerates?
Snakes on a Plane!

BA767s

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:17 am

Hey I've just flown it around a little it takes a few secs to "warm up", very impressed with the VC but am having a few lil probs that I have contacted Pmdg about but Im sure they are nothing to worry about. So far top marks!

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

BritPilot777

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:52 am

Hey Gusy

Couple of Q

Once its been downloaded, is it possible to store it on a USB drive or something? Incase you need to format your computer or something happens to it? Or would you get some code which means you would need to download again without charge?

Cheers

Bp777
Forever Flight

BA767s

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:15 am

Yep I believe its like the Level D 767 where if you have to move it to another PC you can jus use your Order Number, username and password to download it again, but Id ask the Pmdg guys to confirm.

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

Erwin972

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:49 am

You have one EXE file... you can store it wherever you want or burn it on CD.

On installing the software it askes for the e-mail, password and order ID you used at the time of purchase, this info is submitted via internet for validation and within a second it works.

Made one flight now and I must admit... this is beyond what you can imagine. It feels big, you WILL need the manual, I love that brake temperature, it has so many details... good luck!

Kind regards,
Erwin

apuneger

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:55 am

How about the FPS compared to the 737NG? Any news on that issue?

Greets,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

jumboforever

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:14 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 30):
Although If anyone has been able to already get it, how does it impact the framerates?

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 35):
How about the FPS compared to the 737NG? Any news on that issue?

The FPS are good. Slightly better than LDS767 using the 2D panel, and way better using the VC. The refresh rate of the gauge is impressive! Can't compare with the 737NG as I don't have it but I repeat: It's GOOD!

Quoting BA767s (Reply 31):
very impressed with the VC but am having a few lil probs that I have contacted Pmdg about but Im sure they are nothing to worry about.

What kind of problems?

LHR27C
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:33 am

Yes now I come to think of it a question for anyone who's got it, I believe the CDUs provide some sort of ACARS functionality - have you tried it? What does it involve?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

David L

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting LHR27C (Reply 37):
the CDUs provide some sort of ACARS functionality - have you tried it? What does it involve?

Looking through the manual, it looks like the ACARS features are to appear "in the future".

alphafloor

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:42 am

Maybe a stupid question guys but how does it compares vs the PSS744 ? Yes I know it can be run under fs9 but what else ?

Alphafloor
Whatever

BA767s

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:47 am

My bad, there are no problems with it, I just suggest once you buy just have a good play with it! Enjoy..

John  Smile
Come on, let's fly!

flyer737sw

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:43 pm

FPS are looking pretty good...Getting 22-25 no problem in SFO and in LAX...The plane is absolutely awesome...The detail, procedures, and sounds for this thing are right on...We have waited long enough for this thing, but I think its definitely worth it...just remeber to set the fuel to a lower quanity...

Kevin

justplanecrazy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Hopefully im going to get it today.Only negative about it is its fuel consumption.
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

David L

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 42):
Only negative about it is its fuel consumption

In what way?

Ricci767

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:10 pm

I wasn't really looking forward to this one, I'm more than happy using a merge of the PSS 747-400 panel and the Project Opensky 747-400 model. But to be honest, I am dying to get my hands on their MD-11! MD-11's rule, why has it taken so long for someone to attempt a high quality version?

FrancoBlanco

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:27 pm

Yay, I got it!!!!!
After a small test flight around PAE and MWH I have to say she is absolutely stunning!
Such a great designed model, I´m still drooling!
Long live PMDG!

Sebastian

Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by PMDG!
'Pointless!' - NY Times

justplanecrazy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:34 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 43):

hehe i was only joking its only virtual fuel.  Wink

David L

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 46):
hehe i was only joking its only virtual fuel.

Sorry for taking it seriously but I was just about to bite the bullet and buy it so I wanted to be sure.  Smile

So much for not buying it till next week. My visitors will just have to take the place the way they find it!

BritPilot777

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:56 am

Hey Guys,

Just downloaded her, would you recommend that I print out all of the manuals?

BP777
Forever Flight

Lemmy

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:16 am

I downloaded the package yesterday, so I've only had a little bit of time to fly it. Here are some initial impressions:

Exterior Model: Incredibly detailed and smooth. As good or better than the 737, but much, much bigger! I haven't checked out all of the moving parts yet, but most of them seem to be there. The level of detail on the landing gear alone is amazing.

The wing flex feature is nice, but a little buggy. On takeoff roll, the wings tend to flap up and down rather insistently. Weird. But it is nice to see the wings sag on the ground and then bow way up on climb out.

Cockpit: Well laid out and easy to navigate. My computer doesn't have a huge screen, so some of the buttons are hard to see, but the important things (CRT screens with instruments) are nice and clear. Visibility out front is good as well. I never use the 3d cockpit, so I can't really comment on that. All in all, the PSS 747 panel is prettier, but this one is much more functional.

Flight Dynamics: Like the 737, this one is a dream to hand-fly. No surprises or strange handling. I have no idea what a 747-400 is supposed to feel like at the controls, but this one sure feels nice.

Frame Rates: For such a detailed, complex model, this one doesn't kill my frame rates. This could be PMDG's real triumph. I have flown other add on's that aren't nearly as feature-rich and still eat up all of my resources. Although it takes longer to load, the 747-400 doesn't seem to slow my computer down any more than the 737.

Load/Fuel Manager: The load manager is cool. You can click on shortcuts for a full plane, a 1/2 full plane, a 1/3 full plane, etc. Or you can randomize your load each time. Although you can't specify how much gas goes into each tank (you just type in a total fuel amount), I don't think there's much leeway in real life when it comes to putting fuel in different places. Also, the fuel system logic seems spot-on, which is no easy feat.

Price: Yeah, $55 is a lot of money, but you know you're going to spend it eventually. You could buy two or three half-assed add-ons for the price of this one, but there's no way you'll get all of the cool stuff PMDG includes. If you don't buy the 747, at least buy the 737. It's worth every penny and then some.
I am a patient boy ...