noelg

Just Started With Vatsim!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:21 am

Okay I've given in and finally had a go using VATSIM!

I was very sceptical but actually was pleasantly surprised! Such a high level of realism, actually talking to somebody from where you're flying too and getting real instructions! Wow!!

Only thing I'm worried about is am I going to lose all my AI traffic when I fly online? I saw a few flights (U2 at LTN, ZB at LGW), would these have been online people or AI (they were with my FlightOne aircraft so think maybe AI?), but when I landed there were no aircraft on the ground at LGW!

Is coverage generally good when doing say a UK-Middle East run, and are there any "chat" channels as in the real world?

Generally I'm really impressed though, although I admit to being very nervous when I first held down that "Ctrl" button to talk!!

Cheers,
Noel.

Mir

RE: Just Started With Vatsim!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:13 am

Quoting NoelG (Thread starter):
Only thing I'm worried about is am I going to lose all my AI traffic when I fly online?

Yes. Any traffic you see during VATSIM is other people. It's the same way in any multiplayer session.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

A3204eva

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 am

Yes you loose all AI traffic. I suggest you visit http://www.vatsim-uk.org/newpilot to help get you started  Smile Also post in our forum @ www.vatsim-uk.org/forum (which is currntly down for the mo)

P.S fly in/out of EGCC and you may be controlled by me  Wink

Scott
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

flymia

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:48 am

I always wanted to try Vatsim but just can never get all the programs set up correctly or have a stable Internet connection. Well I have a good connection now so maybe when I have alot of free time I try to set it up.

Do you get real ATC from all major airports 24/7? Also if there is no ATC in the area what do you do?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

A3204eva

Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:27 pm

All you need to connect is a flight sim, and Squawkbox 3 from www.squawkbox.ca and it's easy from there. It has a built in voice client too.

ATC is people like me, who in their spare time log on different positions around the world. If there's no ATC at the airport you're at, or en-route etc. you monitor a frequency called UNICOM (122.8) so you know where other aircraft are and so you don't end up crashing  Wink

Although VATSIM does have many real world controllers, most are not. Whether the controller is a real ATCO or not, REAL WORLD procedures are used, which is why newbies should ALWAYS read up BEFORE connecting (and get appropriate charts).

And a very important note: NEVER load up on an active rwy! If you do, the controller will send a private message yelling at u to get off the rwy asap  Wink either that, or a SUP will come and have a word with u.

Scott  Smile

noelg

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:46 am

Hi Scott

It was probably you controlling me outbound from EGCC to EINN last night as BAW2014 (started at EMA not realising it was way out of your area!  Smile)

Sorry 'bout that! I'll get the hang of it!

I ended up going to DUB, got a really nice guy who after landing said in a full-on Irish accent "Speedbird 2014 welcome to Dublin" and later "It's been a pleasure flying with you"! How nice!  Smile

Noel.

A3204eva

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:10 am

Hiya,

yeah I was on EGCC_S_APP last night, I can't remember all the a/c I controlled tho  Wink Big grin

It's a nice flight EGCC-EIDW-EGCC espec if you can get almost full ATC. Gotta love the Irish  Wink