EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Need Help With Repainting

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:23 am

Hey people, ive tried to do some repaints for my flight sim aircraft, i did a repaint in photoshop, open up the texture, painted over it, clicked save hoping it would work, i opened up flight sim and my paint never showed up, just a complete mess on the body.

where am i going wrong??

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

BA767s

RE: Need Help With Repainting

Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:01 am

I had the same problem. I edited a texture then opened FS and the a/c just appeared grey. Obviously something I did wrong but i dont know what. Anyone...!  Smile

John
Come on, let's fly!

northstardc4m

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:57 am

ok its one of 3 things:

1> you changed the filename
2> The file got corrupted during save
3> You saved it in the wrong format AND/OR color depth

Most likely its 3

FS200x needs textures to be in 8bit, 16bit (with some other requirements) or full 32 bit with Alpha. The only one you can use directly from photoshop is 8bit, and well if you're painting 8 bit why bother with FS200x, FS98 did that!

What you need is a texture conversion program, the 2 main ones are DXTbmp and Imagetool. Personnally i use Imagetool because it doesnt have the problems with changing color depth repeatedly that DXTbmp does. Eitherone works well though. DXTbmp is easier to find, but to be nice, they are both here: http://www.projectopensky.com/files/index.php?dir=paint-resources/

Ok now for opening textures, unless they use a DXT format they should open in PS, But heres the trick, save them as Targa (.TGA) files with alpha. The reason for this is PS doesnt have a compatible 32bit .BMP option. Once saved as .TGA, load those files into the converter and save them as either 32bit Bitmap or DXT3 if you want to compress them. They should then show on the model.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

jasond

Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:21 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 2):
What you need is a texture conversion program, the 2 main ones are DXTbmp

As stated DXTbmp is the tool of choice. You can select your editor of choice and export both the normal and alpha channels to it (i.e Photoshop). DXTbmp creates and works with a temporary file called 'norm.bmp' which abstracts you from the format. Your only obligation is to open the correct format in DXTbmp. If possible find out if the 'vendor' has a paint kit, this helps considerably. Am happy to assist further if need be.