SA006
Topic Author

A Few FS Bugs...

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:56 am

Hello everyone.

I have encountered a few very annoying FS bugs. First off is one of the approaches for AMS (Forgot what runway). The AI aircraft enter the approach at around 4000ft and then when 3 miles out they dive and hit the runway thus dissappearing. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a KLM 744 smash into the runway but was reminded it was FS. Any help with this one?

Another annoying aspect is that at airports like Malpensa(Milan) and Jomo Kenyatta (Nairobi , Kenya) where the runways are surfaced with bituminis(spelling?). Now , the FS system interprets the runway surface to be grass. So , the aircraft bounce up and down when on the runway creating the most unrealistic effect.

Any help with these small , yet annoying bugs?

Thanks in advance.

-SA006
Proudly South African

Gofly

RE: A Few FS Bugs...

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting SA006 (Thread starter):
So , the aircraft bounce up and down when on the runway creating the most unrealistic effect.

I'm no expert with the remodelling of scenery, but I know when I bought my UK2000 scenery it stated in the book that they had had that problem. They way they had sorted it was to make to runway concrete/asphalt and place a grass texture on top. I'm not sure how you would do that though.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Smile

-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

baylorairbear

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:10 am

A Few FS Bugs

Understatement of the year Big grin

I'll have to check out AMS. That sounds like loads of fun.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

justplanecrazy

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:43 pm

Also at PHNL (honolulu) on approach to runway 22 aircraft go straight through a mountain on aproach(now thats what i call a bumpy flight),and some aircraft descend at 15,000 per min from their cruising altitude.Some of these virtual pilots MS employ shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a virtual aircraft.  Big grin
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

SWISSER

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:15 am

Any help with these small , yet annoying bugs?

both are adjustable in the AFCAD tool found in FS9's folders somewhere,
altough I don't have much experience on it, but tried it on terrain issues in Switzerland, unfortunatly without succes, but the grass runway can be shifted to concrete asphalt!
What time is top of descent?

eclipseflight7

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:30 am

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 3):
Also at PHNL (honolulu) on approach to runway 22 aircraft go straight through a mountain on aproach(now thats what i call a bumpy flight),and some aircraft descend at 15,000 per min from their cruising altitude.

The first problem can't be fixed, as MS aircraft don't follow approaches but rather fly in straight. When a plane hits a mountain, it disappears.

Second problem again can't be fixed because aircraft will try anything to get on the approach, including suicidal dives. If you wait about 15 minutes these problems won't occur as the AI engine will settle down and aircraft will start flying how their supposed to.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

justplanecrazy

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting EclipseFlight7 (Reply 5):

Actually the plane does not disappear you can follow it through the mountain in spot view.
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

futureuapilot

Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 am

The AI aircraft enter the approach at around 4000ft and then when 3 miles out they dive and hit the runway thus dissappearing.

That means there is some problem with the AFCAD and Gate assignments. From what I am told if there isn't a gate availiable for the aircraft when it lands, it will disappear. Try tinkering with the AFCAD and flightplans.

Cheers!
-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

eclipseflight7

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting Justplanecrazy (Reply 6):
Actually the plane does not disappear you can follow it through the mountain in spot view.

If a plane enters land and exits in about 5-10 seconds it will still appear, although without labels. After that its removed.

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 7):
That means there is some problem with the AFCAD and Gate assignments. From what I am told if there isn't a gate availiable for the aircraft when it lands, it will disappear.

Your correct that a plane will disappear without a gate, but the problem detailed above will not be solved through changing gate assignments but rather through approach patterns. There's and entire discussion on how to get aircraft to fly safe approaches with something to do with placing a marker 70 miles away from the airport, but to be honest I don't know the details.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

SA006
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:39 am

Hi guys.

Just been checking. I visited a few more airports with "Bituminis" surfacing on their runways and I get the same effect for each airport. I would think it would be an afcad problem but why for every single runway surfaced with this??

-SA006
Proudly South African

TransIsland

Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 pm

I don't know about all those bituminus runways you've tested, and I've never flown into Milan, but last time I flew into Nairobi on FS9, it had a non-grass runway - though I don't remember whether it was bituminus or concrete, but certainly something more serious than grass. Maybe something wrong with your computer?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.