WhyWhyZed
Topic Author

Help Me Find The Best Scanner...

Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:15 am

Ok, I've done a search to try and find some help, but I couldn't find too much help. I do have a scanner/AM/FM radio, but it's pretty cheap, and it's beginning to fall apart. These are some of the qualifications i'm looking to meet...
1) Handheld, or easy to transport...
2) I can hear over flying aircraft from my house
3) If possible, hear YYZ movements about 45-50 miles away?
4) Affordable
5) Isn't very vulnerable to incerpetion from thing such as a car...
6) Perhaps, also be able to intercept police vehicles/communication (if it isn't illegal in Canada)

Now, if these things aren't all possible in one scanner, that's fine, and you can bash me... I can admit I don't know much about the situation.

Thank for any help I get,
- Jason DePodesta

gmonney

RE: Help Me Find The Best Scanner...

Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:13 am

Jay,

I think threshold aviation has a very good one...now as far as i know you won't get YYZ traffic from your house, but you may get stuff flying over head, i am sure that you won't be able to hear the tower but you will her what the aircrafts are saying back?

http://www.thresholdaviation.com/product.asp?pID=4672&cID=63

Thats the link to the scanner... its just over $200 but i think its worth it comparing the other ones, it's only 4 times as much as what you paid for the grey piece of crap... and heck you can manually punch in the frequencies.!!

Hope that helps,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

WhyWhyZed
Topic Author

RE: Help Me Find The Best Scanner...

Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:34 am

Quoting Gmonney (Reply 1):
I think threshold aviation has a very good one...now as far as i know you won't get YYZ traffic from your house, but you may get stuff flying over head, i am sure that you won't be able to hear the tower but you will her what the aircrafts are saying back?

http://www.thresholdaviation.com/product.asp?pID=4672&cID=63

Thats the link to the scanner... its just over $200 but i think its worth it comparing the other ones, it's only 4 times as much as what you paid for the grey piece of crap... and heck you can manually punch in the frequencies.!!

Thanks for your opinion Grant. I'll be around the field tomorrow, so I might stop in to Threshold and get some more info on it. Then, i'll see if I can find some better prices, if not I may take the dive for it.

Regarding my grey scanner, I totally agree when you say "...the grey piece of crap..."  Silly

Also, I've never even thought of manually entering the numbers. I've grown a acustom to the ticking time bomb!

- Jason DePodesta