Btriple7
Topic Author

How Do I Convert My FS Add-ons Into AI Traffic?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:19 am

I hope this topic makes sense. I have PSS 340Pro and several other aircraft add-ons from avsim.com. My question to you is: how do I make those add-on aircraft appear as AI Traffic. Can I assign these aircraft particular routes to fly? Where in the main FS files do I go to do all this? I have heard of this program called TTools. Can someone clarify what this is?

Your help is appreciated,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

FiddleSticks

RE: How Do I Convert My FS Add-ons Into AI Traffic

Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:43 am

User flyable aircraft usually make for poor AI traffic.

First, the models are just too detailed and getting a bunch of them in one place will result in crippling framerates. Many good AI models use a level of detail feature that reduces the number of polys in a model the further you get away from it.

Secondly the AI pilots are really poor so you need separate flight dynamics. For example the AI aircraft do not use flaps on takeoff, using an aircraft that was intended to have a human pilot for AI traffic is asking for problems.

Have a look at these two pages as well, they do a good job of explaining everything.
Here

and

here

Kelly

[Edited 2005-10-23 00:47:52]
If you love yourself, go now to western union and send me the sum of $10,000 to save your life.

Btriple7
Topic Author

RE: How Do I Convert My FS Add-ons Into AI Traffic?

Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks Kelly. Since I can't use my add-on aircraft for AI traffic, do you know where I can get an add-on AI traffic program that is freeware?

Once again, all help is appreciated,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

Mir

Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:21 am

7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

QF108

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:13 pm

You can download a lot of flight plans straight from AVSIM or Flightsim.com, the planes are also available there as well, I mainly stick to AIAardarks or FSPainter aircraft as my AI they look good and don't chew up the framerates too quickly.

If you want to design your own flightplans I used this little tutorial from Hans Fog and believe me I was a complete novice when I started but with more and more practice you can design realistic airports with heaps of flights just as they are in real world.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/ai4beg.htm

It is designed for FS2002 but FS2004 uses the same principles for flight plan designs (except is you are designing long-haul flights they take some time to work out how to make them). I actually used Sydney-YSSY as my base airport rather than small one Hans refers to in his tutorial.

I recommend you keep in mind a program called AFCAD the new version for FS2004 now allows you to assign aircraft to their correct gates at each airports so for example using my local airport which is Sydney, the aircraft now park at locations which they do in real life.

Cheers
Mark
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

baylorairbear

Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:34 pm

AirNav Systems has a really good AI add-on. For free, you can download a bazillion planes and liveries in one package with an included installer. You can get a 6 or 12-month subscription that will download, in real time, real flight plans and schedules from their server. What this means is that if I pass a W9 733 @ FL310 near LAS in my sim, the same plane is there in reality. Nifty says me.

FS Live Traffic

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

Btriple7
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help. Project AI seems to be what I was looking for.

Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

Longhornmaniac

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:14 am

BAB, I've thought about getting that program, but the models looked pretty bad. Aside from that, Is it worth it for the money you've got to keep spending?  Wink Also, keep in mind, there is about a 10 minute (?) delay for safety concerns, but its still a great program.

PS: Do your Bears have a shot against my Horns in 2 weeks?
Cheers,
Cameron

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 am

Longhorn, first I admit I have little AI experience. You are right, the models look like butt-ass when they are at the gates. Of course, in the air you can't tell.

It is expensive. I only got a six month subscription because I got a huge discount, but I wouldn't pay full or even half price. The benefit for me at the time was that it had an easy installer and a lot of a/c types and liveries. As I get more experience, I find that there are better solutions. So, it's definitely good for beginners, but not the seasoned enthusiast.

BAB

p.s. I expect a decent showing against your horns. I think we're gonna break down Tech.

komododx

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:20 am

IMHO Aardvark makes THE absolute best AI a/c, however their selection is limited. After then FS Painter comes in second place, and in third place I would put Project AI. Some of their repaints are really good but others are just the same crap that comes with UT.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

CPH-R

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm

As much as I like the concept of FS Live Traffic, it just doesn't work that well with the current version of FS. Why? Because you have to run it in Multiplayer mode to see them - and thus, it's not really AI traffic (especially since you haven't got any ATC to guide them around you).

If you're just starting out, I would recommend Project AI as their installer makes everything a tad more simple. Then, if you want to move on, you can start replacing models with those from AI Aardvark, FSPainter, EvolveAI/Charles Dayhuff, Fernando Martinez, Dee Waldron, Henry Tomkiewitz, SKJ Air Systems, Simlandmarks/Vala & the list goes on. But careful, you might end up an AI junkie like me Big grin

dc-10 levo

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:36 pm

Another AI project about to come on-scene:

http://www.6th-heaven.com

Keep your eyes peeled.

DC-10

baylorairbear

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Can you use ProjectAI and AI Aardvark at the same time?

BAB

CPH-R

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:00 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 12):
Can you use ProjectAI and AI Aardvark at the same time?

Project AI delivers complete AI packages, whereas AI Aardvark only create AI models & repaints. But yes, you can use the AI Aardvark models with the flightplans from Project AI.

baylorairbear

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:18 am

Thanks CPH! I just started doing my own AI stuff after reading this thread, and it's given me a whole new dimension of FS to explore. So, in addition to the AIA repaints and models, I also have to get flight plans?

I like the idea of doing everything manually with AIA because it gives me a better feel for the structure of FS9. That's why I never use auto-installers for aircraft. But I see that PAI has a manual option in their installer. I guess I'll try both.

Rock out,

BAB

SWISSER

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:04 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 10):
you might end up an AI junkie like me

Well after reading this post I started with some experiments myself,
I have used PAI, but the frames get sometimes so bad that I stopped using them...

What models would you recommend for the SWISS fleet, both appearance and frames friendly?
a nice thing to start I suppose!
I already have an up to date TT!

ERJ145
S2000
ARJ85
ARJ100
A319
A320
A321
A332
A343E
BBJ2 Privatair SWISS
What time is top of descent?

STARalliance24

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 am

Does TTools work for fs2004 and if yes where can i get it.