A340-600 dvd....let the speculation begin

Gofly

RE: Just Planes

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:09 am

Quoting Cb777 (Thread starter):
A340-600 dvd....let the speculation begin

Probably be Virgin or Cathay. Though they might surprise us! Big grin

-Gofly  Smile
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

CB777

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:03 am

I am thinking its South African Airways. They filmed with them before.

AndrewAir

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting CB (Reply 2):
I am thinking its South African Airways.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think either SAA or LH will be the release. Both airlines have filmed with Just Planes in the past.

-AMc

AirWillie6475

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:34 am

That's just great, another Airbus video. It might as well be another a320 video becasue the cockpit looks exactly the same as a 346 except for the thrust levers. Hopefully it's not Iberia and the destinations are O.K. I'd be happy with Cathay.

David T

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:45 pm

I am leading towards Virgin myself. They have been somewhat welcome in the past to flight deck videos, such as Intelligent Television's previous programs, albeit IT are rather anemic over the last several years just trying to resurrect the same program over & over on a different medium.

Virgin and it's destinations would be great, although CAA has some rule of thumb when it comes to a film crew on the flightdeck. Lufthansa would also be good, but not likely. South African has been filmed before, so is certainly possible. Iberia (Let's exclude Air Nostrum) has not been programmed on Just Planes, so a jump right to the A340-600 I think is not likely. Airlines such as Thai being a mainline Asian carrier is not likely due to cultural issues for such a program. I think that leaves us with Virgin.

Yes, the flight deck is somewhat the same 'ole, same 'ole... However we can possibly learn more of the external camera's! I also am more a person for the routes, overflying landmarks, air-to-air shots, "premium" cabin service and ground traffic at the airports than I am of the standard drawl of the flight deck tour.

David T

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:00 am

And the winner is.... SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS A340-600! (Now posted on the WAR site)

DeltaWings

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:08 am

Looks good. I may get it.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

CB777

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 am

I hope they will do one exclusively on the 777

777guy

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:08 am

Sorry to sound so negative about the new S A A340-600 DVD but the first thought when I saw the format was a certain bird that most of us in the US will have for dinner in a few weeks[turkey in case someone is not aware]. There is only one real flight from JNB-FRA . The other is a delivery flight with "a tour of the A340-600 from a maintainance perspective".
As I am not into detailed programs, I am a little disappointed. I guess Mike is listening to those who like long boring presentations.
On the other hand the new Chalks Ocean DVD might be interesting although a little short on run time at 101 minutes. I have the VCR presentaion from a few years ago and it is one that I enjoy rewatching again every so often. Bet that would be fun to ride on one of those Mallards. I am glad they are using all new footage as opposed to redoing the VCR version.

[Edited 2005-11-12 02:11:04]

LAX

Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:11 am

I think the new SAA A346 DVD might be a goodie.....being that the first flight (of 10 hours duration) is evidently all filmed "in the cabin" of the brand-new bird. That would be okay by me. Far too few JPVs are done from the pax/cabin perspective IMO. I'd prefer a 70%/30% split in favor of In-Cabin filming if it were up to me alone.

Also (speaking to "Triple-7 Guy" here) -- You are incorrect re. the delivery flight. The WAR page for the SAA program claims that the "maintenance perspective" stuff is at the very beginning of the program -- not during the 2nd (delivery) flight on the DVD.

Re. Chalks -- There's a discrepancy re. that run time I took note of. The WAR "front page" shows the time as 101m; but the Chalks page shows 120m.

~shrugs unknowingly~

[Edited 2005-11-12 23:24:55]

CB777

Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:37 am

Quoting LAX (Reply 10):
think the new SAA A346 DVD might be a goodie.....being that the first flight (of 10 hours duration) is evidently all filmed "in the cabin" of the brand-new bird. That would be okay by me. Far too few JPVs are done from the pax/cabin perspective IMO. I'd prefer a 70%/30% split in favor of In-Cabin filming if it were up to me alone.

I could not agree more..........................

777guy

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Quoting LAX (Reply 10):
The WAR page for the SAA program claims that the "maintenance perspective" stuff is at the very beginning of the program -- not during the 2nd (delivery) flight on the DVD.

Actually if you look at it again I just used a quote from the Just Planes page and did not intend it to mean that they were going to introduce maintainance during the flight. I could have been a little more careful in the way that was written. But then heck, english was never my best subject in scholastics from many years back.    As for the cabin filming I enjoy that also but not in real large doses.
I still like more flights and less detailed explainations.
As for the Chalks I actually intend to buy it but my reference was to the running time. The advantage of DVD is the ability to have longer running time without hurting the quality of filming. Thus I prefer longer as that is better value to me. At the same time I recognize that due to circumstances they can film for limited time due whatever access they are allowed.
Just a regular customer's personal opinion.   

[Edited 2005-11-14 14:05:27]

Jan Mogren

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Quoting 777guy (Reply 12):
The advantage of DVD is the ability to have longer running time without hurting the quality of filming.

How is that ?
A DVD can hold a certain amount of data. If you want more minutes on there you have to compress it.
A video tape you just make it longer...

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

777guy

Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:52 am

Quoting Jan Mogren (Reply 13):
How is that ?
A DVD can hold a certain amount of data. If you want more minutes on there you have to compress it.
A video tape you just make it longer...

Qh my,my. I seem to just be getting in deeper here. I will concede that I am not an expert in the field of videography. All I was saying is what I have been told that digital allows for better quality and allows more running time without compromizing quality. Most of the DVDs are about 180-200 minutes as compared to 120 for the VCR format.

Thus I prefer longer as that is better value to me.

This is my feelings as a consumer.

At the same time I recognize that due to circumstances they can film for limited time due whatever access they are allowed.
Just a regular customer's personal opinion.

Please do not feel I am knocking the overall product as I have a fairly large collection now and intend to buy more in the future. I will remain a fan of longer running times and multiple flights and hope that everyone else feels free to express their own feelings.
Once again I am not an expert...just an opinionated consumer.