Shaggy
Topic Author

Spotting Database

Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:59 am

I wonder if anyone could reccomend ant spotting databases I could use to help me log the aircraft I have seen? I would also, if possible like to add the pictures if the aircraft I have seen also.

Is there anything available that you people use either pre-populated or a blank database?

Lee

dogfighter2111

RE: Spotting Database

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:05 am

Hey, i could setup a simple webpage on my server if you wanted. I can make it now, and post a link to it so you can see what you think.

Thanks
Mike

Shaggy
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:11 am

Mike,

I am looking more for an access database or something like (SQL database) etc.

Something that is commercially produced.

Let me thank you though for the offer, very much appreciated.

Lee

dogfighter2111

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:21 am

Ok, no problem.

What i was suggesting was creating a Search Option, a Submit Form and a Table of results.

If you want that, then i will do it.

Thanks
Mike

jamesbuk

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:39 am

woudlnt it be better if you had a username and password and a list of all makes of aircraft and possibly airlines and then u use the little tick boxes of craft you've seen and if your not sure what they are then enter the reg into a search and it comes up with the aircraft and you check it off
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Go3Team

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:57 am

Contact Karlok about his database as discussed here:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...raphy/read.main/150185/6/#ID150185

It may be what you are looking for.
Yay Pudding!

RODOL

Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:08 pm

I use Airline Data Unlimited which is good and has a facility for photographs.
www.airlinedataunlimited.co.uk
 smile 

Ryan h

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:37 pm

I don't know of any commercial databases, but I have heard of people creating their own.

I have made a simple database for logging aircraft when I see them for the first time.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

Shaggy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:24 am

Thanks all for your input. i had a look at the first link but its dead and i think ADU is a bit expensive for me at this time.

Once again thanks to all, it might be a case of JP Airlines fleets and MS Access and doing it myself  Smile

Lee

senorcarnival

Thu May 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Wow! Last response was 6 months ago and I can still respond! Goody..

Well, I've been running into the same problem as the original poster. I have an Excel spreadsheet and I have a certain set of rules, but right now I have over 1500 unique entries and it's getting a little out of hand especially since there has been a few user errors that have somewhat jumbled the process. Is ADU the definitive software to log movements?
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

paulc

Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:42 pm

There are a couple of commerical packages available, both of which have there good / bad points. Both off an easy way to log aircraft seen & photographs with regular updates either by email or cd. Both are approx £100 a year to operate & update etc - if you do a lot of spotting then it is worth it. You will also save time in not marking up any registers you may use.

Aviation Database is one that I have used & Aerodata which is one I have swopped to in the last 6 months. (mainly because it has a lot of data ie 1.3million airframes)
English First, British Second, european Never!

DeltaWings

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:36 am

What is this exactly? Is it something like JP fleet lists and you just tick off the aircraft that you have spotted? I don't quite get this.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

paulc

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:05 pm

yes that is pretty much what it does - you just type in the aircraft seen, a date & place and it records them for you. Both have extensive reporting & search facilites allowing you to print production lists, airline lists, base lists for hundreds of airfield & lots more.
English First, British Second, european Never!

noelg

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:57 am

Freebird is by far the best I've seen, and it's only about £20 a year, including updates 1-2 times a week by email. I have used this for three years and highly recommend it to anyone. The guys who run it are incredibly helpful and are always open to suggestions to improve it. It is totally non-profit, any money raised above the cost of distribution goes to a charity (nominated by the members).

It's in Access format, and is the most comprehensive database I've found, covering loads of types with histories etc, and is very easy to use.

Go to http://www.freebirddb.com/default.htm.

One thing to watch out for - with the expensive ones if you don't re-subscribe you run the risk of being locked out of your sightings until you pay again. I had this with the del-boys known as "Aviation Databases" - after your subscription ends you can't even access the data you've already paid for. Avoid them with a bargepole!