LawrenceMck
Topic Author

Fussy About Frame Rates?Me?

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:45 am

Hey A-Netters.

I'm a guy who likes everything perfect, especially when it comes to Flight Simming. When I fly, I constantly have to press shift+Z to take a look at the frame rates. When they drop below 20fps, I conscider this as jerky, all my friends say I'm being daft. I must admit, I seem to be concentrating more on fps rather than the actual flying itself. So what do you class as jerky when it comes to Frame Rates? Am I being too fussy or what?

Thanks

Lawrence  Wink
Love It To Live It

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Fussy About Frame Rates?Me?

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:49 am

I can't get my FPS above 15.01 so your lucky !  Wink
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

AirPacific747

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting LawrenceMck (Thread starter):

I'm a guy who likes everything perfect, especially when it comes to Flight Simming. When I fly, I constantly have to press shift+Z to take a look at the frame rates. When they drop below 20fps, I conscider this as jerky, all my friends say I'm being daft. I must admit, I seem to be concentrating more on fps rather than the actual flying itself. So what do you class as jerky when it comes to Frame Rates? Am I being too fussy or what?

that sounds COMPLETELY like me Big grin

I HATE when the framerate gets even below 25. 25 pictures per second is what is needed for the human eye to see it as a smooth rendering.

I can get my fps all the way up to 70 during night flying and all the way down to 20 when I am in an airport like ORD. I tried installing an SXM scenery on my computer but it totally killed the framerate. It dropped all the way down to 8 fps.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:34 am

Well, I have it limited to 30, and only on the huge sceneries will it go a bit down. I really dont mind if it goes below the teens, as I never fly from the outside and when running down the runway even when it gets in the teens it's not that noticeable, only when you make long lateral (sideways) movements is when it is really noticeable.

ac21365

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):

Mine goes down to 20 in the most densely populated areas and areas with aftermarket sceneries (boston, cleveland, phoenix). I too can't get more than 9fps at TNCM (Princess Juliana/Saint Marteen).

The thing I dislike most about FS9, is that it was written in late 2004, WAY before any of the newest video card features were even concieved. Most of today's games are more dependant on the graphics processor. I get the same framerates when Anti-aliasing and Antistropic Filtering are on and off, which tells me the framerates are limited only by the processor, and not the graphics card. I'm experimenting with overclocking my new chip over the next week or two, so I'll take screenshots of the same place at different clock speeds.

I DO look forward to FS10, which will (hopefully) take advantage of the newest graphics card features (Pixelshader 3, SLI), as well as support multithreaded (dual core) cpu's.

-Aaron

[Edited 2006-01-22 22:08:36]

AirPacific747

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting AC21365 (Reply 4):

okay.. well I have a pentium 4, 3,2 ghz processor, so if what you're saying is true, it means that I don't have to concider a new graphicscard until the new version of fs is released? I currently have an ATI x600, 256mb ddr ram, which came with the computer.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 5):
okay.. well I have a pentium 4, 3,2 ghz processor, so if what you're saying is true, it means that I don't have to concider a new graphicscard until the new version of fs is released? I currently have an ATI x600, 256mb ddr ram, which came with the computer.

Technically you shouldn't need a new card, but IF and only IF the guys at FS do the smart thing and rewrite the graphics engine so it looks better without need of a much more powerful PC. Do you have an HT processor? Also I'd trash the X600 and get an X800 at least.

ac21365

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:03 am

If I was you, I'd go with an Nvidia card. ATI's still using the old Pixelshader 2.0, while Nvidia went with Pixelshader 3.0. 3.0 is WAY better for effects and such.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 6):
Technically you shouldn't need a new card, but IF and only IF the guys at FS do the smart thing and rewrite the graphics engine so it looks better without need of a much more powerful PC.

I sure hope microsoft writes in pixelshader 3.0 support for FSX. The lighting and special effects will be unheard of if they did. Imagine, dynamic heat blurr, accurate light dispersion over distances, light glow, etc.etc.

I would wait to upgrade your video card until closer to release time, because, chances are, they'll write some new effects engine before FSX is released, and they'll build it into FSX, and you'll need an even newer video card to take advantage of those effects.

-Aaron

san747

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 am

I managed about 5-10 today whilst transiting ORD in FS2004! But 20 FPS there? I don't know if I could afford a comp that could achieve that!
Scotty doesn't know...

AirPacific747

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:03 pm

Do you have an HT processor?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but whats an HT processor?

Also I'd trash the X600 and get an X800 at least.

I agree! I have noticed that my x600 is very bad at rendering the clouds in fs. When I add 3d clouds to fs, it starts lagging a lot, which is a shame because the 3d clouds are really well done in fs, and they add a lot to the realism.

AirPacific747

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting AC21365 (Reply 7):
If I was you, I'd go with an Nvidia card. ATI's still using the old Pixelshader 2.0, while Nvidia went with Pixelshader 3.0. 3.0 is WAY better for effects and such.

Okay, maybe I'll go for an Nvidia instead. I used to have a Ti4200 64 mb ddr ram which was the best graphics card you could get at the time I bought it. I was really happy about it too.

LawrenceMck
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Some interesting replies here guys, keep 'em coming!

bigthumbsup 

Lawrence
Love It To Live It

NASOCEANA

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:46 pm

I usually lock my FPS at 35 to 40 with no problem!
B777 greatest Airliner ever built!

jwenting

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:49 pm

It's called being a framerate junky and it's a very common disease among FS punters.

Either you get over it and vow to never use that framerate counter again or your enjoyment of FS will be forever ruined.
I wish I were flying

EA CO AS

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 13):
Either you get over it and vow to never use that framerate counter again or your enjoyment of FS will be forever ruined.

Agreed!  checkmark 

I found myself checking my framerate counter - 10FPS at major airports with most goodies turned on and full AI running. I quickly decided a new video card was in order.

Several hundred dollars later on a 256MB GeForce 6800GS PCI Express plus new power supply, and my framerates at major airports with ALL sliders maxed and all goodies turned on and full AI running comes in at 20-25FPS on the ground, and averaging 45FPS at altitude - hitting my 80FPS lock with night flying.

But yet, I find that I'm STILL checking my framerate counter! It's almost always on.

To me, it's beginning to ruin the experience. So I'm resolving to avoid using the counter entirely. Call it a late New Year's resolution, if you will.  Smile
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ac21365

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):
But yet, I find that I'm STILL checking my framerate counter! It's almost always on.

Boy do I feel your pain!! But I use mine for a good reason, I can see the awesome framerates in complex scenery!! w00t

See the screenshot thread #16 for my system specs and some shots of what my machine's capable of.

-Aaron

Delboy

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:18 pm

Oh Jwenting, how true that is.

I always fly with the frame rate showing and I am constantly looking to see what I am acheiving. I have mine locked at 30fps, which I can get most of the time in flight. It does drop when on approach and landing but not sufficiently to cause me too many problems.

I really must lose the habit of displaying it though!!

LawrenceMck
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 13):
It's called being a framerate junky and it's a very common disease among FS punters.

Thank God there's a name for my condition lol.
Thanks for all your re-assurance guys, I just dream of the day where I can keep my fps above 30fps!

Big grin

Lawrence
Love It To Live It

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:27 am

Is it better to lock the framerates? I mean does it stress the graphicscard less?

jetflyer

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 am

I have it locked at 30fps also and it's OK to use 100% AI traffic at smaller airports although if I go to large ones like LHR or JFK I lower AI percentage to 20%. My computer's frame rates aren't the problem as much as st-u-tt-ering is.

jamesbuk

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
AirPacific747

i have my frames on 100 and in flight i achieve around 80 so id get rid of the lock so put it to 100 or unlimeted and you'll get better frame rates (hopfully)

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 20):
i have my frames on 100 and in flight i achieve around 80 so id get rid of the lock so put it to 100 or unlimeted and you'll get better frame rates (hopfully)

ahh okay thanks. Its already on unlimited framerates, but I was just wondering.

yooyoo

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
Is it better to lock the framerates? I mean does it stress the graphicscard less?

I've heard that once the computer reaches the target FPS, the computers resouces can then be guided eleswhere.

I have my targeted at 25 FPS.

I consider it jerky at around 10 fps.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T