RobK
Topic Author

Shortwave Radios

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:16 pm

A long time ago I used to have a Yaesu FRG-100 which I really liked as you could set your preset your favourite frequencies into the tuning dial on the front and it was dead easy to use.

I want to get back into HF listening from home as I've now got a a decent size garden to rig up a long wire antenna, but I don't see any FRG-100's for sale on Ebay.

Which other HF receivers have a front tuning dial which you can preset your favourite frequencies onto, under £100 (second hand) and with good filters?

I was always quite impressed with the filters and clarity of the Sony ICF2001D (2010 in the US I think) but I found the 32 preset buttons on the front a bit fiddly.

R

solarix

RE: Shortwave Radios

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:46 pm

The Icom IC-R75 is priced similar to the FRG-100 (when bought new). It's a very good HF receiver (does AM, LSB, USB, CW, RTTY, FM) and filters can be easily added to it. You might be able to find good deals on eBay. I think it's the best bang for the buck (even though a bit higher than your price if bought new). I have one myself and use it exclusively for utility monitoring (Aero, Military, Maritime, Narcotics Interdiction, and it also works good for regular BCB listening)
Has 2 antenna ports, so you can hook up a AM BCB antenna and longwire for the HF stuff).

Or maybe you can find a Radioshack DX-390. It's a portable type receiver that does SSB and should be available for pretty cheap.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

RobK
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:49 pm

Quoting Solarix (Reply 1):
Or maybe you can find a Radioshack DX-390. It's a portable type receiver that does SSB and should be available for pretty cheap.

Thanks for the reply Solarix. I had one of the above and have to say it was quite possibly the worse radio I've ever had. Very cheap and nasty and *any* kind of noise filtering was none existent. It picked up everything, and I don't mean the signals you're listening for, I mean TV's, computers, etc.

Will look into the R75 though, thanks for the info.

R

solarix

Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:13 pm

No problem. I am sure you will like the R75. It's a great radio and the price is affordable compared to other high end radios.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus