djw030468

New Dual-Core HP Notebooks

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:01 pm

Gentlemen, I am a die-hard HP business notebook guy, and a increasing hard-core FSimmer. I saw this press release on Yahoo News about the new Intel-based dual-core notebook due out next month. Here is the link for the tech information on the product:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr...s_kits/2006/mobility/ds_nx9420.pdf

My question is, do you think that a) it will be powerful enough to run Windows Vista and b) do you think it will be powerful enough to move FSX through it's innards in a manner which will make it enjoyable. I.E. minimal frame-rate issues. Any input, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated, as I have all ready contacted my HP Biz rep in CA to get it shipped to Baghdad as soon as it's released! Thank you!

nighthawk

RE: New Dual-Core HP Notebooks

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:09 pm

the biggest problem with Flight Sim is not CPU performance, but graphics card performance. I was running an Athlon 64 3200+ with an ATI 9200 and on full graphics it ground to a halt. Replace with an ATI X800 and its as smooth as a babys behind.

Notebooks are not designed for playing games. It will no doubt have an integrated graphics card, and as a result will be lucky to run FS9 on full graphics let alone FSX on anything higher than minimal...

djw030468

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 am

Being in Baghdad, I'm forced to use a notebook due to mobility requirements. I'm currently running FS2004 on an HP NX8240, 1GB Ram, 128MB Video card with minimal issues. I think that the new notebook will do fine. Although I agree with the fact the desktop is the ideal platform.

portcolumbus

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
It will no doubt have an integrated graphics card, and as a result will be lucky to run FS9 on full graphics let alone FSX on anything higher than minimal...

No, it does not.

As Nighthawk said, the CPU isn't the bottleneck for Flight Simulator.

vinniewinnie

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
It will no doubt have an integrated graphics card

That is a thing of the past! Most relatively expensive laptops nowadays have a proper graphics card which are usually quit good! (Right now I'm using a 3 year old laptop with airports such simflyers's Luton and Fspassengers running and although performance wise it's not excellent I still manage fine!)

I would make sure to have a a quick hard drive (7200rpm if possible), good graphics card, quit a bit of ram and a decent processor and U should be fine!

Small question though do these systems heat up a lot with FS?

djw030468

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Reply 4):

Thank Vinnie for the response! I really appreciate it! After further research, I found the website for the graphics card, it should perform adequately the demands placed upon it by not only Vista but FSX as well. I am adding another gb of ram for a total of 2, but am limited to the 5400rpm hd due to the base available on the HP website. I know for sure it will rock FS9 and I'm waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive FedEx. It will be the fastest notebook in Iraq, and look forward to showing it off, albiet passively in the airport in Amman as I await my flights onward  Smile. Again thanks for everyone's input! Keep em coming, I still need to learn!

Daz

vinniewinnie

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting Djw030468 (Reply 5):
Thank Vinnie for the response!

You are welcome!  Smile Make sure you tell us of how it is performing since I'm very interested in buying a laptop myself! BTW what do your colleagues think of your passion? I'd be happy to know as well!

vinniewinnie

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:13 am

Hey how r u getting along with your new laptop?

Is flight simulator running ok on it? And how are things in Iraq at the moment?

AirTranTUS

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:50 am

I run FS9 on my HP dv5000t (Dual-core, integrated graphics card) notebook at full graphics and I can get in excess of 30 fps. At large airports such as PHX with a complex aircraft, it will drop off to between 10-15 fps. When FSX comes out, I should probably be able to do all right, correct?
I love ASO!

N231YE

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting Djw030468 (Thread starter):
I saw this press release on Yahoo News about the new Intel-based dual-core notebook due out next month.

I've heard that the current Intel dual core processors are having trouble with FS2004 and other games. But that's what I've heard, I don't know if thats true or not.

AirTranTUS

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 9):
I've heard that the current Intel dual core processors are having trouble with FS2004 and other games. But that's what I've heard, I don't know if thats true or not.

I have it running great at full graphics on my HP laptop. And if you see my first post, I only have an integrated graphics card.
I love ASO!