CX881
Topic Author

Question About The Pmdg

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Hey guys -
Awhile back i puchased the PMDG 737-800/900. I have read through the manual and understand it. I was wondering though, how does the FMC work with ATC. If u use the FMC to fly the plane, can u use the FS Default ATC considering the ATC doesnt know anything about sids and stars and all of that? If so how?

Thnx,
CX881
Dan
747-400 - FOREVER THE QUEEN OF THE SKIES!!!

Kovi17

RE: Question About The Pmdg

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:55 pm

You know what i have no idea when it comes to vnav i just usualy climb and decend the plane to what the atc tells me or else they will start bitching at you and then you have to go to whatever altitude they tell you. I would definatly hit up the pmdg forums here http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=136 i think maybe the people fly vfr and not ifr for that but i could be wrong, hope this helps.
We dont worry about small things like that...

David L

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 pm

Definitely take Kovi17's advice and visit the forums but in theory you can use SIDs as long as you programme all the points into your FS flightplan as well. The problem is that some of the SID points aren't available by default in the FS flight planner. It would help if you had a 3rd party planner which can export a plan to FS, such as FS Navigator but that's payware (as far as I remember). Another advantage of FS Navigator is that it'll give you the airways so you don't have to enter every single waypoint into the FMC.

STARs are another matter as ATC will start to vector you for approach from quite far out, regardless of your flightplan.

nighthawk

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 2):
STARs are another matter as ATC will start to vector you for approach from quite far out, regardless of your flightplan.

as soon as ATC starts to vector you on the appoach, instead of acknowledging, select "choose another approach" and select the approach that meets your STAR.

For each runway there will be a couple of interception VORs. ATC then leaves you free to find your way to that vor, without nagging that your off course.

David L

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 3):
as soon as ATC starts to vector you on the appoach, instead of acknowledging, select "choose another approach" and select the approach that meets your STAR.

Fair enough. I was really just dealing with getting ATC and your flightplan in sync. From discussions on Tech-Ops it seems that STARs are more likely than SIDs to be bypassed by ATC. I guess it's obvious I never bother with STARs.  Smile