SmithAir747
Topic Author

What's A Good Scope For Spotting?

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 am

I'm a regular LHR spotter (actually photographer). Often, my fellow LHR spotters will pull out some kind of binoculars or telescope to point at some very distant aircraft either approaching LHR or flying overhead. With these scopes, they are able to identify these distant aircraft, which amazes me! (To my naked eye, these distant aircraft are just dots).

How powerful are these telescopes? How far can they see?

I tried a telescope today (borrowed from another LHR spotter), and could recognise an approaching Swiss A320(?) from over a mile or two away from LHR runway 27R.

What would be the best telescope to get for LHR spotting (and overhead aircraft ID)? I would like to get a one-eyed scope.

Since I have just one functioning eye, binoculars are out of the question, so I just want a telescope for one eye. What would be the best one for seeing distant overhead aircraft and aircraft approaching LHR runways?

Please let me know what kind of spotting scope (for one-eyed folks like me) would be best, and where I can find one.

Thanks!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Chuffy

RE: What's A Good Scope For Spotting?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:40 am

Hello,
I use a Nikon and can identify planes/liveries of planes leaving trails over my house in North Wales.
When i get home I'll give you the model number

Chuffy

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting Chuffy (Reply 1):
Hello,
I use a Nikon and can identify planes/liveries of planes leaving trails over my house in North Wales.
When i get home I'll give you the model number

Thanks for your reply!

Is your Nikon a one-eyed (monocular) scope? I have only one usable eye, so binoculars would be of no use. Please let me know!

I look forward to knowing what you use!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Chuffy

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:27 am

Hello,
It is a Nikon Angled spotting scope with a 80 degree lens. A picture of one is on Harrisoncameras.co.uk

Hope this is useful

Chuffy

chrisjake

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:52 am

i use 15x70 binoculars and can do the same thing.

chris