dc-10 levo

Uniden Bearcat UBC-72

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 am

Anyone had a play with this? I currently have the Maycom AR-108 which I've had for around 4 years but I'm looking to upgrade slightly. I want one that covers a bigger range (UBC-72 does 25Mhz - 512Mhz) and is pretty new according to Waters & Stanton.

Also just read that it has this new feature called "Close call RF capture technology".

Thanks for any info.

DC-10

TransIsland

RE: Uniden Bearcat UBC-72

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:16 am

I have the UBC72XLT, and I'm reasonably happy with it, once you've got all your frequencies programmed in, it's quite easy. However, it's a toy where you want to read the instructions first  Wink

I have a feeling though, that it could be stronger. I can only barely hear my local airport's ATIS, when I'm at my father's house (can't hear anything from my home). My brother's radio has much better reception.

What matters most: When I'm at the airport, I have no complaints. Works just fine.

Also, I could do without the NASCAR logo on it, but then again... who cares.

Quoting DC-10 Levo (Thread starter):
Also just read that it has this new feature called "Close call RF capture technology".

Obviously, I haven't read the instructions thouroughly enough. What does this do?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

dc-10 levo

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:22 pm

Been reading a bit more about Close Call RF Capture Technology:

"Uniden’s exclusive Close CallTM RF Capture Technology zeroes in on nearby transmissions without the need for programming, even when the UBC-72XLT is in other modes, scanning, searching or holding on a frequency. For example, if someone transmits within a few hundred feet (range depends on transmit power and other radio traffic in the area), the scanner immediately detects and tunes to the transmission, ideal for use at events when the frequency being used is unknown.

Many thanks for the reply TransIsland!

DC-10

dc-10 levo

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Well I've decided against it after reading a few more reviews. I think the ICOM IC-R5 is what I am going to get.

DC-10

TransIsland

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting DC-10 Levo (Reply 2):
Many thanks for the reply TransIsland!

Ditto. That may explain why I was suddenly hearing some other transmissions the other day and no longer Nassau Tower - and I was blaming my brother! lol
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

dc-10 levo

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:44 am

Well I am so stuck between the UBC-72XLT and the ICOM IC-R5. I just haven't got a clue which one to go for. I want an upgrade from my Maycom, more frequencies etc and they both seem right.

DC-10