ConcordeMach2
Topic Author

Anyone Been To The Boneyards Of The West?

Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 am

I am facinated (dont ask why) with the boneyards in the american west but have never had a chance to visit them. I may get a chance to visit the ones around Tucson at some point in the near future. I would like to know How accessible they are they to the public if at all. Also, does anyone know where to find FS9 scenery for Pinal or Mojave. I have only found Davis Monthan so far.

cheers

MaxQ2351

RE: Anyone Been To The Boneyards Of The West?

Sun May 21, 2006 5:19 am

I've been to Davis-Monthan's AMARC storage facility. You have to sign up for the tour way ahead of time because there is quite a waiting list to see the facility.

Everyone gets on a bus (a nice air conditioned one, not like a school bus!!) and the drive you around the whole thing with a couple people giving the commentary. While they never stop to let you out of the bus, they make many many stops along the way so you can take photos & the such. From begining to end, if I remember correctly, the tour was about an hour and a half to two hours.

Highly reccomended!! If you ever get out to Arizona, you should definitely go see it. Just remember, to see AMARC, you will want to make a reservation because there will be almost no chance of getting a tour of the place if you just go show up and hope to get one!!

-Max
The 777-200LR......2 engines 4 longer haul

Fly2HMO

Mon May 22, 2006 4:21 am

You could hire somebody to fly you out to Pinal once in TUS so you can take pictures. There's no public access from the roads to Pinal, but apparently you can stop at the FBO at that airport. I haven't actually done the AMARC tour yet, but I've driven around DMA's perimeter several times and you can see plenty. There's also a few airplane junkyards that are open to the public if you want to buy, say, a DC3 prop or something. Big grin

Also the Pima Air Museum in TUS is the best in the west  yes 

freedomtofly

Mon May 22, 2006 6:29 am

You could also try Roswell, New Mexico. Fly into ABQ and then drive about 4 hours south. I'm not sure if they give tours or not, but they have a lot of scrapped planes there.

Aaron
You are now free to move about the world.

USAFHummer

Tue May 23, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 2):
Also the Pima Air Museum in TUS is the best in the west yes

I'd up that to "Best in the country", IMO...Pima is simply amazing, I've been there twice and both times I was blown away by how awesome it was...

Also, I definitely recommend visiting the AMARC boneyard at DMAFB as well, its pretty cool!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Longhornmaniac

Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 4):
I'd up that to "Best in the country", IMO...Pima is simply amazing, I've been there twice and both times I was blown away by how awesome it was...

Also, I definitely recommend visiting the AMARC boneyard at DMAFB as well, its pretty cool!

Hey Greg, what sort of stuff to they have out there at Pima? I've heard great things about it, but what makes it so great? I'd love to get out there next time I'm out in AZ.

Cheers,
Cameron

PS: Are you a big CU Buffs fan, or just a NU hater?  Smile
Cheers,
Cameron

elcableguy77

Tue May 23, 2006 10:42 am

Having been out to D-M, I've seen they've got a bit of everything. I saw quite a few experimental prototypes that never made production that are stored there. Plus, if you want to see an F-4, A-4, or A-6, that's the best place to go.
Former ZW F/A | "Wisconsin 72A, contact departure, see ya."