klm672

Friends' Fear Of Flying In Small Planes

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:26 am

I was wondering if you have this problem. I am going for my PPL and a co-worker is friends with the daughter of the airport owner and my co-worker asked about my flying etc. I said that after I get my license I could take her up and she was scared, another co-worker standing by was there so i made the offer to her and she said the same thing. I was unaware this fear was so big..anyone else's friends have this? Any "tips" on how to convince them (if they won't they won't but any statics or facts. etc) If it matters its a c150.

Gary2880

RE: Friends' Fear Of Flying In Small Planes

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:53 pm

im reluctant to fly at the best of times. i probably would be more inclined to run in the opposite direction if the pilot in control had just passed their test as it were./havn't passed their test yet. they may have to let them watch you do a solo flight before they believe they can put their life in your hands! ...
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

klm672

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:09 pm

IDK if its that its the whole "oh its a small plane", it could be both, but they're like "how small is it" I said 2 or 4 seater.. they're like "oh...".

A3204eva

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:25 am

A lot of people don't like the small a/c because they think they'll feel sick during the whole flight because the wind will throw it about etc etc.

Might be an idea to ask them what is it they don't like about flying?
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

57AZ

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:47 pm

For many people, they don't like the loss of control that they feel when flying. Lack of knowledge about how an airplane works often compounds this along with anxiety created by the manner in which the press covers airplane crashes. It might help to allow the nervous flyer to sit in the cockpit sometime before the flight, explain to them the various instruments and controls and give them a walkaround of the plane taking care to explain how airplanes fly.

I also point out that general aviation flight can and usually is just as safe as airline flying. A properly maintained private airplane with a properly trained pilot is mechanically just as safe as an airliner if not safer. Just because an airplane is old doesn't necessecarily mean that it is less safe compared to a newer airplane. Having grown up around planes, I realize that many of the GA crashes are due to either lack of pilot experiance, poor maintenance or a combination thereof. Furthermore, I will go anywhere on any airplane that is reasonably maintained.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."